Muscle and joint aches all over

MRSROK

I have had every blood test imaginable done between my GP and Endo - there is no clear explanation for how **** I feel! The Rheumatologist is last hope for me to get some answers....

smurph37

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @smurphyuk - I wondered the outcome of seeing the Rheumatologist? I am T1D (LADA), have psoriasis and Hashimoto's.

I am currently experiencing the EXACT same symptoms as you have described. My GP reckons I have psoriatic arthritis :(
I see a Rheumatologist in 2 weeks but the pain and aches are horrendous at the moment - I am taking Mobic and Tramadol. I am really worried about steroid injections as they can mess with your BS quite a bit.

Hope you are finally feeling better! :)

Claire

Thank you MRSROK
Sorry didn’t realise there was a few more responses on here so just seeing your post now. I am still waiting for my Rheumatologist apt - which is ridiculous. About 7 months now. I’ve heard that ppl can be waiting 9-12 months. I have a lower level aches and pains pretty much all the time and I wake up feeling just poisoned and battered most mornings. I did have a little improvement after I started doing physio therapy and did the exercises most days - it helped with the stiffness in neck and shoulders. Every 2 months or so I seem to have a bit of a flare up when my symptoms get worse - often After i get cold like symptoms. At the moment it’s a lot worse - I have recently started doing more activities in my life. I think I need to be careful and maybe slow down a bit. The physio thinks my joints are ok. She mentioned fibromyalgia too but it’s all a bit daunting as all they will do is prescribe Gabapentin, amytriptiline etc and having had experience of them they’re not drugs I wish to be taking. This is not at all meant in a judging way but I think all these drugs they hand out like smarties are dangerous.

My new direction is to cut out dairy and see if that helps any. It’s all trial and error.
How did you get on with the rheumatologist MRSROK?

I too hope you are feeling better x

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you on Lantus by any chance? My pains and aches dissappeared after switching to Tresiba. And I'm not the only one who's had this side-effect of Lantus.

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
Hello all I just wanted to share this in the hope that someone may have had similar experiences that I can identify with and try and figure out more about my health really.

I got diagnosed as type 2 eight years ago and about 4 years ago my blood sugars started going really high (H1bc 14) for about 2 years. When I then had a severe DKA - when it was realised I was a LADA. I also had extreme work burnout at the time.

Since then I've had daily aches and pains all over and a lot of fatigue - I halved my H1bc and at present it is 60 which I know is still too high but for the Amt of muscle aches and pains I have it really feels disportioncate. Over past cpl of months it has got worse - so achy in my neck and across shoulders and done my spine. I wake up early with lower back pain. I've aches down my arms from shoulders. Pain in buttocks at times and sometimes my thighs and knees and ankles. I've had more than usual tingling and numbness in my hands and burning under my feet. It feels like I have my period all the time (not much pain but some pain in lower abdomen) when chopping veg it's hurting my wrists and I'm less and less able to carry bags with significant Amt of weight. I am only 37 and I am so afraid of the future if this is what I'm like now. I do my best to keep things in the day but I definitely feel very alone. I have been to the doctor eventually- I've a big block when it comes to my health - after many blood tests and revisits later he has referred me to a rheumatologist, which is good and at least it's the right direction I feel.
Is it possible to have this much issues from diabetes after this length of time having it and the H1bc I've had- or does it sound like something else? even on days when my blood sugars are very good I have aches all over. When I go high now though it's way worse even at 10/11. I'm highly sensitive to carbs e.g. I've to dbl my insulin for bread and so I try to stay away from it. I've so many food sensitivities and I react to lots of stuff. I try to eat lower carbs. Sorry for the long winded post. I would be sincerely grateful for any suggestions
I have fibromyalgia and a lot of your symptoms sound like they could be fibromyalgia. A rhumatologist can diagnose it by touching certain points on your body. I would definitely mention it to the rhumy when you see them.

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
I too have muscle pains in my upper arms and on statins the Doctor wants to inject with steroids I said i think about it neve rrealy thought about statins being the cause but deff thinking on it now lol
Statins do cause muscle pain, and friend of mine ended up in hospital because she couldn't even get out of bed because she was in so much pain. Pain in the upper arms and shoulders could be polymyalgia.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have had pain in upper arms for months and no I been tested for Polymyalgia and had a scan they say the tissues in my upper arms are inflamed and they cna inject if that not work they can do keyhole surgery i said hmmm I see if the deep heta cream will work first never thought about statins causing it but can they realy inflame the tissues???

Reactions: SalB

Quiet David

I have the same issue with pain in my shoulders/elbows/hands.

It is a prolonged muscular ache which affects my mobility. I think my statins are the root cause of the issue, and I have an appointment with my GP on Friday to discuss it.

The only relief I can get is from Ibuprofen, but this is only a short-term fix.

I’m not ruling out dehydration as a possible cause either....

Reactions: Kevin259 and SalB

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
well the pain in my arms stopped and I carried on taking statins so unsure what was causing it I do how everh ave pain in my right shoulder and neck and now in my left arm where they gave me a flu jab arghhh