VICTOZA users

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Re: VICTOZA

kay957 said:
Just an update of how I am getting on with Victoza, this has far been the best drug for me in controlling my diabetes. My latest tests show my levels are 6.0 and hasn't moved for 6 months so I am stable now. Next month it will be a year since starting it, at the time I was my surgeries Guinea pig, I was the only one on the drug, and as a result the GP has now more patients on it and taken most off Byetta because of the side effects. If they ever took this off the market I think I would cry...it's a great drug and works wonders.

It really an excellent product and I echo your words about it working wonders.

My last HbA1c was 6.1% and this morning after trying porridge for the first time this year, I tested an hour after eating a good sized portion with a straight 6 on the display. I trialed Victoza with just one other on my GP's list but now he is putting more and more over to the injections. Next year I am hoping to get my GP's agreement to try cutting down on the metformin and eventually stopping the pioglitazone.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Hobs said:
kay957 said:
My last HbA1c was 6.1% and this morning after trying porridge for the first time this year, I tested an hour after eating a good sized portion with a straight 6 on the display.

Good after an hour......however, what was the result after 2, 3 or 4 hrs.

Porridge is a slow acting carb so the effect could show up much later. I find Porridge spikes me at around the 3 hr mark.

Valeris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Heavy exercise.Salt Vegetables without spices

Weight was still on the increase as well as the BS numbers, so have started the increase to 1.2 mg. Numbers are coming down again, with just a mild case of indigestion. Thanks for the information. Hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals

Just been put on victoza today just reading through all the materials about to get ready to give myself a injection :shock:

They gave me BD fine 5mm 31 Gauge I think thats quite a thin needle but from reading on here theres a 32 Gauge 4mm thats meant to be awesome does that fit the pen.

Wish me luck lol

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Yes it does. The needles are a standard fitting.

Just ask your GP to prescribe the shorter one. It is listed in the BNF60 as available for prescription.

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Well dont think I will need it I cant believe it I never even felt it going in at all. Amazing must be because im chunky :lol:

Even less painful than finger pricking, hopefully wont get any nausia how long does it normally take to kick in if your going to get nasuia

mandydowns

Hi

I have been on Victoza now for 4 months - lost 2.5 stone and bloods all down to normal levels....amazing drug!! I got nausea as soon as I started to inject, which lasted for about a month but please perservere with it as it really is worth it in the long run and I have no side effects at all now - hope that you have the success that I have had - good luck x

cugila

Master
Dislikes

mehdave
Chunky....... :lol: Yes, it does help if you have a 'little' fat to jab into. That's why I am still happy to be able to 'pinch an inch' in the tum area. Less hassle, no pain.......not that I have ever had any and I use the 8mm needles.

As to how long before nausea kicks in ? Cannot really say, I use Byetta myself. When I started that it never made me nauseous even though others were feeling really bad after the first jab ! I think everybody is different in how they react to drugs.......it MAY affect you......then again it MAY NOT.
Hope it's the latter ! :)

Hopefully some more of the Victoza users will answer you with their own experiences of Victoza.......

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

No nausea yet and had food aswell so hopefully that continues, plenty to grab for my injections :D Fingers crossed to about the weight loss

pinktess

Hi all :D
mehdave.....i started to feel sick about 24 hours after my first injection, after 3 or 4 days it settled down then when i went up to the next dose it came back again plus a few other side affects. But not everone is the same as you can see from reading this forum,Ive been on it for over 2 months now and feel great...im so looking forward to xmas now with my dibetic friendly mince pies and choc cake.
Wishing all a merry xmas and all the best for 2011!

ps ive lost over 21kg so far since i was diagnosed in april of this year, :D cant seam to be able to change the ticker :lol:

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Woah awesome weight loss nice one. Im hoping im one of the lucky ones with no nausea have had a headache all day but think its due to eating less today our cupboards are bare :lol:

diesel duck

Hope this doesn't double post. Another update for those potentially going on to Victoza.

Having struggled with a weight gain of 20kg in 4 years, I was started on Victoza. After nearly 2 months I've managed to lose 9kg (just try carrying around 9 bags of sugar). I did have very slight nausea when I ate more than I should have, but I don't think it is anything to worry about at all, if anything I used the slight nausea of eating too much to help retrain myself into eating smaller portions and eating a healthier diet. Is it odd to celebrate having a BMI in the 40s rather than the 50s?

I have to say the feeling of being full is starting to reduce (unfortunately) and despite snacking a bit more and feeling that I've slid backwards on the losing weight front, the weight is still coming off. Whether it is imagined or not, I have found it much, much easier to refuse offers of sweets, biscuits and things no diabetic should really be eating. Although it has been cold, I've also found I have a bit more energy which has made me have a bit more motivation exercise wise.

I have also found my BP has reduced from a self monitored 150/100 to in and around 132/85 (I'm really unreliable with taking tablets, so those are non tablet taking measurements), which is a welcome change. I can really see the possibility of reducing or even stopping quite a few medications if I get this other 78kg of weight off. Fingers crossed the weight loss continues.

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

This may seem like a silly question but I take it it takes about a week before you notice the amount of liquid in the vile on the pen go down. I have done 3 0.6mg and its hard to tell if its going in :lol:

When I put the needle on a drop comes to the top so it looks like it working and it plunges down okay and i hold it for 10 seconds. Still looks like the pens full how soon should I see the liquid in the vile go down.

Or do you notice with the fact the brown plunger bit at the top seems to move further down so infact you wont see less liquid ? im confused

mamo123

hi guys
new to this forum i am t2 diabetic i been taking victoza since last june 2010 i been promise by the consultant that i will lose weight but i have put weight on about 6kg andi take gliclizide 160 x 2 and competct 2 times a day any help guys
many thaks

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*

mehdave said:
This may seem like a silly question but I take it it takes about a week before you notice the amount of liquid in the vile on the pen go down. I have done 3 0.6mg and its hard to tell if its going in :lol:

When I put the needle on a drop comes to the top so it looks like it working and it plunges down okay and i hold it for 10 seconds. Still looks like the pens full how soon should I see the liquid in the vile go down.

Or do you notice with the fact the brown plunger bit at the top seems to move further down so infact you wont see less liquid ? im confused

It does take several days on the lower 0.6 dosage before the plunger can be seen to move as you inject ... give it a few more days or wait until you are on the 1.2 dose and you will see it move towards the needle as you inject. The liquid should not contain air, so you wont actually see the liquid move.

cugila

Master
Dislikes

mamo123 said:
hi guys
new to this forum i am t2 diabetic i been taking victoza since last june 2010 i been promise by the consultant that i will lose weight but i have put weight on about 6kg andi take gliclizide 160 x 2 and competct 2 times a day any help guys
many thaks

Hi
Welcome to the Forum. I see you are on max dose of Gliclazide (320mg). Gliclazide has one unfortunate side effect in that it can promote weight gain.

Your Consultant told you that you would lose weight on Victoza......did he mention the 'Glic' effect ? Did he tell you that your diet also has a large part to play in what happens ?

Competact is a 'combo' drug, Pioglitazone and Metformin......which also has a side effect of possible weight gain. Maybe you should discuss this with your GP......... :(

Many medications are not a 'magic bullet' and you also have to change your diet, sometimes quite drastically to have a better effect, to improve it's efficacy.

What sort of diet do you follow ? Have a read of this advice that we usually hand out to newly diagnosed Diabetic's and see if it is the sort of advice you have been given.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18478&p=168575#p167895

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying

Hi, Am due next tues jan 4th discuss try victoza up at local hospital, prior to xmas doc wanted me to try metformin again only in soluble form to see if body and system would tolerate it? 1 sachet and 3hours later i was being violently sick with severe stomach cramps till 3am, I am now only on januvia up to max dosage.. blood sugars yet all over the place 8.7 - 19.9 never know where I am! I am refusing to continue with gliclazide as was putting weight on with it despite a careful diet. I am just praying my body and system will accept and tolerate victoza . Have been reading members tales and updates, seems its an effective drug to lower BS cholesterol and even stubborn BP plus it helps with weight issues. Needles dont bother me just IF my "weird" body and system will tollerate and accept victoza is worrying me... Anna.

diesel duck

anna29 said:
Hi, Am due next tues jan 4th discuss try victoza up at local hospital, prior to xmas doc wanted me to try metformin again only in soluble form to see if body and system would tolerate it? 1 sachet and 3hours later i was being violently sick with severe stomach cramps till 3am, I am now only on januvia up to max dosage.. blood sugars yet all over the place 8.7 - 19.9 never know where I am! I am refusing to continue with gliclazide as was putting weight on with it despite a careful diet. I am just praying my body and system will accept and tolerate victoza . Have been reading members tales and updates, seems its an effective drug to lower BS cholesterol and even stubborn BP plus it helps with weight issues. Needles dont bother me just IF my "weird" body and system will tollerate and accept victoza is worrying me... Anna.

I also find metformin a bit a nightmare on the stomach although the MR version is slightly better for me - I find my gut bacteria stops working properly, but there is no use getting too anxious about any drug you get and don't dwell too much on side effects, remember every drug has side effects, some are desired ones and others not. I'd also avoid reading the paper leaflet that comes with any drug, I find I'll take on a lot of side effects that get mentioned, now I try to avoid pre-judging what may happen before it actually happens, by not reading it.

You don't say what diet you are on to get those blood sugar results, don't like to prejudge, but at a guess if it is a careful nurse or doctor intiated diet, it might have more carbs in it than a lot of very successful low carbers on this forum use to help control their blood sugars. I'd also avoid all forms of High Fructose Corn Syrup and all fruit juices.

You have read up on Victoza now, so you sort of know what to expect, I have to say I'm quite happy with it, but deal with any side effects positively, use them to your advantage and if you find a dose is too much for you, knock the dose back a bit and build it up again gradually to the expected dose. Remember placebo is a real effect, if you believe it will work it is more likely that a new drug will indeed work for you, if you are looking for it to not work then it is more likely to fulfill your expectations.

What I'd say is that if you are gaining a lot of weight with Gliclazide, it is likely to be releasing insulin from your pancreas, therefore Victoza's seemingly more targeted insulin release only when you have a high blood sugars will probably work well for you.

Good luck Anna.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying

Hi. thanks for reply desiel ducky! Been up since 7am queasy belly, taken a stemetil [ wonderful drug for nausea] My diet and health history etc is explained on forum pages 45 46 take a peek it will explain how and why i watch my diet and meds. True what you say about placebo positive thinking, mind over matter etc... I am genuinely concerned with heart and lung pressure as can feel damage done to it, breathless and tightening under ribs. Got heart problems history see previous forum pages. Am yet tiny in body frame and mass except for my "barrel belly" which is massive now! Cant even bend over comfortably plus last lot of blood results came in with abnormally high readings in everything etc hence my worry that victoza works successfully for me. Am mentally geared up to tackle this lock stock and barrel! Have also read newly diagnosed low carbs pages is it possible for list of low carb foods to buy in? or a small easy to read and refer to book to guide and advise me along? Contain lists correct low carbs and do,s and dont,s etc... Its all so complex and confusing to me. Anna.

Valeris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Heavy exercise.Salt Vegetables without spices

Hi all hope you had a great Christmas. I was working as usual. On to business. Dose of victoza now 1.2. BS lowest 5.7 highest 9.8. Weight loss back to 12st 10lbs - 82kg. Definately back on track.

Been catching up on posts. A couple of things I never thought about before - I too have found myself more energetic (well that was not too difficult to go from no exercise to a daily walk). Some dear delightful person gave me an Ab pro king. This will envolve a 3 minute warm up followed by 3 minutes on the machine. Two weeks on each of the five levels. So here's hoping for better weight loss. The other thing was; I hadn't thought that I was actually having a better sleep during the day, which would also promote a feeling of being more energetic. One other thing I have is less back pain which I think was mainly due to my liver throwing out insulin.

Take care and see you all in the new year