Type 1 Mood swings and Depression.

A

Australia 1

Does anybody go through this cycle of an up and down mood all of the time. When I went from Type 2 to Type 1 full bore Insulin that was the end of a stable life style. No Bi-Polar or any of that. I will take all of the information you can give me. Thank you.
Sam.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Australia 1 Have you ever looked at the stages of grief in relation to your diagnosis ? I know from when I was diagnosed that I became very depressed and although this was temporary the feeling was over whelming, maintaining stable blood glucose levels helped to even out my moods as well as other things such as walking, meditation and talking, do you have anyone close who you can talk to ?

D

Deleted Account

Sorry to read you are struggling at the moment.
Unfortunately, diabetes and depression are common bed buddies. They seem to feed off each other as stress increases BG.
It is possible to live a "normal lifestyle" with diabetes although you need to plan a little more.
There are techniques for reducing stress from changing diet to meditation. I guess you have to find out what works best for you.

One thing which seems odd is you description of going from "Type 2 to Type 1 full bore". These are very very different conditions (I often wish they had very very different names to avoid the confusion) and you cannot go from one to the other.
Some people are misdiagnosed and some people with type 2 take insulin to manage their BG but do not have type 1.
Perhaps understanding what has happened with you will help to control the mood swings.

Reactions: Mandi05

Rosieroo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
hi there this is something i have been thinking about lately. A few weeks ago i was struggling with high levels and my mood was very low and had bad insomnia. I was on a mixed insulin and it was not helping me. I recently changed to a basel/bolus regime and my levels have started to come down and i feel alot better and my sleep is better. So i wonder if there is a link.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Diabetes is classed as a chronic illness and the more chronic illnesses you have the more likely you are to suffer mentally.
Having suffered and taken medication in the past I know you can end up in some very dark places.
I no longer take medication and can manage it myself.
Talk to your GP or someone professional who is in a position to help.
Please don't suffer alone and don't feel guilty about it.

All the best

Tony

A

Australia 1

Sorry to read you are struggling at the moment.
Unfortunately, diabetes and depression are common bed buddies. They seem to feed off each other as stress increases BG.
It is possible to live a "normal lifestyle" with diabetes although you need to plan a little more.
There are techniques for reducing stress from changing diet to meditation. I guess you have to find out what works best for you.

One thing which seems odd is you description of going from "Type 2 to Type 1 full bore". These are very very different conditions (I often wish they had very very different names to avoid the confusion) and you cannot go from one to the other.
Some people are misdiagnosed and some people with type 2 take insulin to manage their BG but do not have type 1.
Perhaps understanding what has happened with you will help to control the mood swings.

Well I must say this. You are very Kind and benevolent person. You are the second person besides an American who told me that going from Type 2 to Type 1 is not true. I was also told that in the U.K. this sort of thing is called Type 3c. This is news to me. It is dark in this bedroom in Hot Australia but I am going to screenshoot the very Endocrinologist along with my Oncologist that I was a Type 2 Diabectic and after R:Chop-14 Chemotherapy the pancreas function was compromised and there Medical terms to explained this. I am a full blown Type One Diabectic on Total Insulin.

A

Australia 1

hi there this is something i have been thinking about lately. A few weeks ago i was struggling with high levels and my mood was very low and had bad insomnia. I was on a mixed insulin and it was not helping me. I recently changed to a basel/bolus regime and my levels have started to come down and i feel alot better and my sleep is better. So i wonder if there is a link.

Now you have hit the nail on the head. I had a major verbal confrontation with my Endocrinologist today over that exact subject. The Basel/Bolus regime was the trick here. On this same day the 29 Th at 3:15 Am in Australia I woke up and I knew there was trouble. My BG was 24.6 Mmol. After my Endocrinologist made a minor adjustment to my Novorapid so I chart everything and even set my alarm for blood Test. I took 21 Units of Novorapid and I am not proud of this at all. It was a high carb night and I had my BG down to 6.6 Mmol and in 15 Minutes went up to 6.7. I called this Superman up and He was Hot as in angry. I did not use one swear word and I will die for my faith than to put up with a Rude Doctor.
So I fired Him on the spot after He hang up on me. What a ****** as they say here? Is that a sware word as I am an American. I like what you said. I will explain more later. Thanks mate.

Cheers Sam.

Edited by a Mod. Yes it is a swear word.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Australia 1

Hello @Australia 1 Have you ever looked at the stages of grief in relation to your diagnosis ? I know from when I was diagnosed that I became very depressed and although this was temporary the feeling was over whelming, maintaining stable blood glucose levels helped to even out my moods as well as other things such as walking, meditation and talking, do you have anyone close who you can talk to ?

@Juicyj, Honey you are Spot-on. I answered this from the bottom up. All of our problems here are Hormone related and even my Testosterone got messed up. It am an American that became an Australian 2.5 years ago. I have lived here for 8 years. White Anglo Saxon Protestant Types with my thick American accent other makes people angry or draws people. I do not understand the mass Multicultural issues here at all. But the Medical system is the best I have seen. As I age life becomes more of a job to stay alive than anything and because of that stress alone jacks everything out of shape. And no I have not one male mate because I just do not believe that partying all of the time is the answer to everything. It provides no answers. Hey that,s for being me mate.
Cheers, Sam.

Reactions: shaz2608

old sparky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
ball sports
I have suffered with depression for many years but since being diagnosed with T2 my mood swings have got worse, I get anxious about the smallest tasks and angry with my self if things do not go right, its possible that metformin combined with my blood pressure medication are causing this but the quacks deny this could be the cause????
I am 71 and even my grand children call me grumpy granddad I used to be silly granddad most of the time making them laugh and fixing their broken toys etc.
When I feel a "down" moment come on, I take myself to my man cave and sod about with my model railway, that sometimes helps. I know its not for everyone but taking yourself out of a bout of depression sometimes helps. (Just putting it out there)

JoCo

Chronic tiredness can cause depression, and go hand-in-hand with it.Are you having hypos at night ? I can have very shallow "sleep" with night time hypos, and it can be exausting just waking up in the morning.Getting regular gentle exercise can help to even out highs and lows and reduce your dosages. If you are near the beach, take a stroll for half an hour.I know it gets dark quite early down there, so maybe go in the morning. If you are inland,hmm, watch out for the browns.Just taking some easy exercise can drastically improve your mental health on it's own. Can you find a walking partner maybe, do you have a dog? I think we get more sensitive to life's knocks and more likely to have downs simply because we are more prone to being tired, and also just feeling tired due to glucose variations and effects on hormones. There isn't always alot to do in rural Oz, and the TV is terrible,so maybe try and develop some creative hobbies too. Good luck.

gkyeo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello
I've had one bout with depression, that I never want to repeat. Lay in bed and cried for a week. No underlying issue, no stress, no illness (other than T1 for 30 yrs). My young son said, Mum, have a Berocca. I hadn't had a supplement in months, thought it should all come from my diet. Went staight out and opened the cupboard and got out every B vitamin there. (I had a few). Double dosed on B1, B2, B3, B6 and B12. Opened google and started looking. What are the symptoms of B vitamin deficiencies? Depression, insomnia, anger management, weakness, fatigue, feeling of uselessness, leg cramps, premature ageing, bloating etc. etc. Do go out and get yourself some B vitamins. I now use LifeExtension Bio Active Complete B-complex, ordered online. Give it a try, the benefits are worth it.

A

Australia 1

I have suffered with depression for many years but since being diagnosed with T2 my mood swings have got worse, I get anxious about the smallest tasks and angry with my self if things do not go right, its possible that metformin combined with my blood pressure medication are causing this but the quacks deny this could be the cause????
I am 71 and even my grand children call me grumpy granddad I used to be silly granddad most of the time making them laugh and fixing their broken toys etc.
When I feel a "down" moment come on, I take myself to my man cave and sod about with my model railway, that sometimes helps. I know its not for everyone but taking yourself out of a bout of depression sometimes helps. (Just putting it out there)

@oldsparky. I have been holding off on writing to you because we are closer in age. It is no secret here That I have had Cancer 2 Times and I have had Chemotherapy big time with hair loss and the whole story of the Cancer Treatment horrors.

Then wouldn’t ya know I became a diabetic Type 2 with no insulin and then Metformin and then Lantus with no real direction as this was a GP. Then Chemotherapy came along again. Prednisone a Steroid used in my Lymphoma Protocol was introduced. After going through radiation to prove that two Cancers are in remission I then was told that my new Endocrinologist said that my pancreas was getting stuffed and not making enough insulin, I was then told that Insulin production was going down to Type 1. So that is now a 4 Month Type 1 Protocol to follow. So now I am taken off all pills and just Novorapid and Lantus.

So I asked everybody here about this Mood Swing issue. Well, well it turns out Sparky that I have met at least 9 people that are younger than us and there lives have kept me from Suicide and as a Christian I would not commit Suicide as I know that God and Jesus Christ is as real as me writing this. @oldsparky I am going to peruse this Forum for People like us. There is Hope Sparks!!!!!! Trust me.
Your Mate, Sam.

Reactions: shaz2608

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
My pancrease doesn't produce enough anymore... so it's 3c for me. Brought about by prednesalone use over 20 yrs. So, much like your situation it's basal/bolus to deal with it. The whole more frequent testing is a pain. Low carbing is something I have done for the past 7 or 8 yrs, so the amount I use isn't a lot. I don't know if you drink water during the night, but dehydration over night could be raising your FBG. And a high bg level really does drive up stress and can be depressing. Not a good way to start the day.

Reactions: Deb1million
A

Australia 1

My pancrease doesn't produce enough anymore... so it's 3c for me. Brought about by prednesalone use over 20 yrs. So, much like your situation it's basal/bolus to deal with it. The whole more frequent testing is a pain. Low carbing is something I have done for the past 7 or 8 yrs, so the amount I use isn't a lot. I don't know if you drink water during the night, but dehydration over night could be raising your FBG. And a high bg level really does drive up stress and can be depressing. Not a good way to start the day.

@tophat You are a true mate. This basal/Bolus Thing is reminds me of the check list we had Flying 747,s Transpacific. I have had many close calls with insulin. I will have always have to watch this and watch that. So I have to, change my attitude about many things. Thank you Brother @tophat for your Time.
Brother Sam,

old sparky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
ball sports
@oldsparky. I have been holding off on writing to you because we are closer in age. It is no secret here That I have had Cancer 2 Times and I have had Chemotherapy big time with hair loss and the whole story of the Cancer Treatment horrors.

Then wouldn’t ya know I became a diabetic Type 2 with no insulin and then Metformin and then Lantus with no real direction as this was a GP. Then Chemotherapy came along again. Prednisone a Steroid used in my Lymphoma Protocol was introduced. After going through radiation to prove that two Cancers are in remission I then was told that my new Endocrinologist said that my pancreas was getting stuffed and not making enough insulin, I was then told that Insulin production was going down to Type 1. So that is now a 4 Month Type 1 Protocol to follow. So now I am taken off all pills and just Novorapid and Lantus.

So I asked everybody here about this Mood Swing issue. Well, well it turns out Sparky that I have met at least 9 people that are younger than us and there lives have kept me from Suicide and as a Christian I would not commit Suicide as I know that God and Jesus Christ is as real as me writing this. @oldsparky I am going to peruse this Forum for People like us. There is Hope Sparks!!!!!! Trust me.
Your Mate, Sam.
Hi Sam
I Have learnt to cope with the depression by as I say taking my self away from it when I feel it coming, although that sounds crazy, I can actually feel it coming on???? the things I cannot control are the anxiety and "aggressive" behaviour, I do not mean in a violent way, more of being abrupt, when speaking to my wife and children and grandchildren. My wife often points it out to me and I end up apologising to everyone concerned. this has got worse since being Type 2 and medication, difficult to bite my tongue at times. Stay strong as God will help us through this. I too am a christian, A Freemason and a member of Knights Templar, ( A Christian masonic order)

Take great care and God Bless you

Ham2E0MUT

Sam; First of all the depression issue. I lost my wife to Cancer a few years ago: Have Crohns Disease and a lot of my large and small bowel removed, loss of lung function due to asbestos damage and type 2 diabetes, so the body is not always in a good pain-free state and full of energy, in fact just the opposite most days. I did suffer from depression for a while. That said I myself are doing really well emotionally now.

You have to learn to disassociate your emotional state from what is happing to the body. You are not your body. I need to stress that fact "YOU ARE NOT YOUR BODY"; you are far more than that. It is the body that has the problems not you at the core of your being.

I would suggest you try getting in touch with your inner being/unstoppable unbounded spirit/ or whatever name you want to give it through mindfulness meditation. Just sit and concentrate on slow deep breathing, because unfounded fears of the future and memories of difficult past events vanish when you do this. You can not breathe in the future nor breathe in the past, so as you focus on your breath the only thing you can focus on is moment by moment is the now, the present moment.

With each fresh moment, we are at the cusp of new possibilities and new beginnings as we are experiencing an unbound void within us that is not defined by edges and is limitless When we can learn to spend some time each day not thinking about the difficulties we can all face on a daily bases this gives the emotional swings some respite.

Not only that but meditation has been proven to have a lot of health benefits both on a physical and mental level as it puts you in a calm relaxed state. Any natural healing response your body has will kick in much better when the body is not under stress.

That or get involved in charity work, it is difficult to become too despondent about your own situation when you are helping others that are in some ways a lot worse off then you are, and if active you do not have the time to think about yourself.

The other thing to consider is that any change in our health that is a change to us or effects how well we can do things can affect us all the same way. When we can no longer do the same things we could it feels like a loss of part of us, just like a death we have to go through a grieving period, as we are losing something a part of what we perceive ourselves to be.

In time we all come out the other side just because we are walking in shadow it just means the sun is shining behind us. In fact, there is light all around we just do not see it at times, just because the sky fills with clouds it does not mean that the sun is no longer there, as eventually in time the clouds aways disperse and allow joy back into our lives.

As for trying to resolve the problems through medical intervention the only thing that has helped me is a good quality ginseng supplement taken every four hours on a daily bases plus getting a lot more active. Emotions follow what is happening in the body a silent message from our nervous system affecting the emotional centres in the brain, so a good work out makes the body feel good which makes the mind and the emotions feel good.

Hang on in there Sam there is always light at the end of the tunnel.

Reactions: Australia 1
A

Australia 1

Sam; First of all the depression issue. I lost my wife to Cancer a few years ago: Have Crohns Disease and a lot of my large and small bowel removed, loss of lung function due to asbestos damage and type 2 diabetes, so the body is not always in a good pain-free state and full of energy, in fact just the opposite most days. I did suffer from depression for a while. That said I myself are doing really well emotionally now.

You have to learn to disassociate your emotional state from what is happing to the body. You are not your body. I need to stress that fact "YOU ARE NOT YOUR BODY"; you are far more than that. It is the body that has the problems not you at the core of your being.

I would suggest you try getting in touch with your inner being/unstoppable unbounded spirit/ or whatever name you want to give it through mindfulness meditation. Just sit and concentrate on slow deep breathing, because unfounded fears of the future and memories of difficult past events vanish when you do this. You can not breathe in the future nor breathe in the past, so as you focus on your breath the only thing you can focus on is moment by moment is the now, the present moment.

With each fresh moment, we are at the cusp of new possibilities and new beginnings as we are experiencing an unbound void within us that is not defined by edges and is limitless When we can learn to spend some time each day not thinking about the difficulties we can all face on a daily bases this gives the emotional swings some respite.

Not only that but meditation has been proven to have a lot of health benefits both on a physical and mental level as it puts you in a calm relaxed state. Any natural healing response your body has will kick in much better when the body is not under stress.

That or get involved in charity work, it is difficult to become too despondent about your own situation when you are helping others that are in some ways a lot worse off then you are, and if active you do not have the time to think about yourself.

The other thing to consider is that any change in our health that is a change to us or effects how well we can do things can affect us all the same way. When we can no longer do the same things we could it feels like a loss of part of us, just like a death we have to go through a grieving period, as we are losing something a part of what we perceive ourselves to be.

In time we all come out the other side just because we are walking in shadow it just means the sun is shining behind us. In fact, there is light all around we just do not see it at times, just because the sky fills with clouds it does not mean that the sun is no longer there, as eventually in time the clouds aways disperse and allow joy back into our lives.

As for trying to resolve the problems through medical intervention the only thing that has helped me is a good quality ginseng supplement taken every four hours on a daily bases plus getting a lot more active. Emotions follow what is happening in the body a silent message from our nervous system affecting the emotional centres in the brain, so a good work out makes the body feel good which makes the mind and the emotions feel good.

Hang on in there Sam there is always light at the end of the tunnel.

Well my Dear Brother you have written well. I am so embarrassed about my life. I have interstitial Lung disease in both lobes. I hate big Pharmaceutical companies that live off people like me. This Lymphoma Cancer has attacked my eyesight and it was Radiation to the eyes only to get Cataracts later or Chemotherapy. I chose the Chemotherapy and it would take hours to read all of the fine print of Risks involved in that. Diabectic conditions are always a risk factor in many of diseases I get and every month I have to get Immuglobolin G 1000 ML infusions to keep me alive and my immune system up. I take a bus for that. It is twenty Kilometres away and the Diabetes Forum is the only place I can talk to real people about real problems. I joined this group too quick or so I thought.
I have volunteered to a Bible College in North Carolina to do there all night emergency suicide services. I get much pleasure from that stopping people from taking there life. But the College does not know my entire life. They think I am a Hero there. We all at this program have Control Operator Numbers and I have special down loaded programs to do this work, so sometimes I feel like calling my own Ministry group in incognito just to blow off steam.

This is the First and last time I am going to talk about my other health issues. But I am not a Christian because of all of this. I dedicated my life to Christ at age 19. And so every time I talk to a terminally ill person I try to prepare the whole Patient Family and Friend,s For what is coming. A new life is coming. My Endocrinologist thinks that 6 to 10 Mmol is good. It is too high for me. So I have to eat Jelly too sometimes to balance out this insulin course of action.

Also my thanks to an 18 year old girl who spoke to me Heart about things I understand with her for her dilemma is in my Family in America. I have to lie down and and be still.
Love to the Forum
Sam

Ham2E0MUT

Well my Dear Brother you have written well. I am so embarrassed about my life. I have interstitial Lung disease in both lobes. I hate big Pharmaceutical companies that live off people like me. This Lymphoma Cancer has attacked my eyesight and it was Radiation to the eyes only to get Cataracts later or Chemotherapy. I chose the Chemotherapy and it would take hours to read all of the fine print of Risks involved in that. Diabectic conditions are always a risk factor in many of diseases I get and every month I have to get Immuglobolin G 1000 ML infusions to keep me alive and my immune system up. I take a bus for that. It is twenty Kilometres away and the Diabetes Forum is the only place I can talk to real people about real problems. I joined this group too quick or so I thought.
I have volunteered to a Bible College in North Carolina to do there all night emergency suicide services. I get much pleasure from that stopping people from taking there life. But the College does not know my entire life. They think I am a Hero there. We all at this program have Control Operator Numbers and I have special down loaded programs to do this work, so sometimes I feel like calling my own Ministry group in incognito just to blow off steam.

This is the First and last time I am going to talk about my other health issues. But I am not a Christian because of all of this. I dedicated my life to Christ at age 19. And so every time I talk to a terminally ill person I try to prepare the whole Patient Family and Friend,s For what is coming. A new life is coming. My Endocrinologist thinks that 6 to 10 Mmol is good. It is too high for me. So I have to eat Jelly too sometimes to balance out this insulin course of action.

Also my thanks to an 18 year old girl who spoke to me Heart about things I understand with her for her dilemma is in my Family in America. I have to lie down and and be still.
Love to the Forum
Sam

I do not call myself a Christian, in fact, I follow no particular religion but call myself a spiritually aware person. All I know from personal experience is that the source that which we all come from or will eventually be returning to no matter how every everyone understands it due to their cultural upbringing and programming I just call Home. Coming from the same home makes us all brothers and sisters. We are all here for you Sam with our love and support even if it is only words. Please accept my love and keep as well as possible. Do not push yourself too much doing charity work, as you must look after yourself first to be well enough to look after others.

Last edited:
A

Australia 1

I do not call myself a Christian, in fact, I follow no particular religion but call myself a spiritually aware person. All I know from personal experience is that the source that which we all come from or will eventually be returning to no matter how every everyone understands it due to their cultural upbringing and programming I just call Home. Coming from the same home makes us all brothers and sisters. We are all here for you Sam with our love and support even if it is only words. Please accept my love and keep as well as possible. Do not push yourself too much doing charity work, as you must look after yourself first to be well enough to look after others.

Yes, you are right from another Ham N3MPE, Hagerstown Maryland 21742. Thank you for your Kind Words. I can not really even find the proper words to express my gratitude for your just being you.
Brother Sam.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@Australia 1 Wow. I'm speechless after reading this post.
You have been through so much.

Is it time to settle down a take a breath before the next stressful medical fight comes along?
Your posts seem like your taking stock of your life and your current position.....to fight again? Fight diabetes or something else?
It is OK to just be at peace and start enjoying what you do have...forget about what you've lost. Concentrate on the future.....its a great view point.