Driving

thomasrichmond_16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So I'm almost 17 and have just applied for my provisional license and declared that I have insulin treated diabetes. Just wondered if anyone has ever had any issues getting a license because of diabetes?

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
So I'm almost 17 and have just applied for my provisional license and declared that I have insulin treated diabetes. Just wondered if anyone has ever had any issues getting a license because of diabetes?
Hi @thomasrichmond_16 I first applied for a licence in 1988, having had Type1 since 1959. You will receive several sheets from the DVLA to fill in and requests for information from your GP, Diabetes clinic and any info relevant to those. The only disruption I have had was when they wanted another visual fields test done. My last licence (renewed every 3 years) took them 14 months, due to government cutbacks, but I was allowed to drive provided I used their covering letter as evidence. I would strongly suggest you keep copies of all correspondence - they have lost stuff in the past. I have been driving without problems all this time. Best of luck.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

My experience regarding past dealings with DVLA is pretty quick.. With all the DIAB1 form stuff.

Almost like they live next door..

Oddly @Grant_Vicat , I past my test in late 1986.. What took you so long? :);)

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
My experience regarding past dealings with DVLA is pretty quick.. With all the DIAB1 form stuff.

Almost like they live next door..

Oddly @Grant_Vicat , I past my test in late 1986.. What took you so long? :);)
Hi @Jaylee I would say circumstance and lack of money, together with serious Type 1 problems at a crucial time. When I left home, I went to King's College London and was fortunately an out and in-patient of King's College Hospital. Retinopathy in both eyes and very brittle. Moved up to Suffolk in 1982 and had to borrow money to get married! First time I had driving lessons was in 1986, when I was 28. Wished I had done this back in 1975, but grew up in a happy household with no TV, no holidays abroad and most funds went on propping up a delapidated house. I was taught to mix cement at age seven!

Reactions: Struma and Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Jaylee I would say circumstance and lack of money, together with serious Type 1 problems at a crucial time. When I left home, I went to King's College London and was fortunately an out and in-patient of King's College Hospital. Retinopathy in both eyes and very brittle. Moved up to Suffolk in 1982 and had to borrow money to get married! First time I had driving lessons was in 1986, when I was 28. Wished I had done this back in 1975, but grew up in a happy household with no TV, no holidays abroad and most funds went on propping up a delapidated house. I was taught to mix cement at age seven!

Nice to meet you! :cool:
Lol, I married a girl from Suffolk. (I'm a West Country lad!)
On my 8th birthday I was given a shoe boxed sized heavy (for me at that age as a recently diagnosed.) parcel.. It was a hammer drill.. "Go on then? Said my mum. Go put up some shelves." I cut my teeth on a 300 year old cottage.. Happy days! :)

Lol, I have to admit my first car was a "money pit." :banghead:

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Nice to meet you! :cool:
Lol, I married a girl from Suffolk. (I'm a West Country lad!)
On my 8th birthday I was given a shoe boxed sized heavy (for me at that age as a recently diagnosed.) parcel.. It was a hammer drill.. "Go on then? Said my mum. Go put up some shelves." I cut my teeth on a 300 year old cottage.. Happy days! :)

Lol, I have to admit my first car was a "money pit." :banghead:
Nice to meet you also! - Sorry am still in the dark ages with emojis etc, just glad to find my way around a "typewriter". Your mum sounds a lot like mine was - two fingers to health'n safety! I cut my hands on Southwater engineering bricks!

Reactions: Jaylee

TracyGr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My son had hypo whilst driving today and wrote 4 cars off. First one in over a year. What will happen to his lisence

james11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
TE="TracyGr, post: 1681982, member: 468379"]My son had hypo whilst driving today and wrote 4 cars off. First one in over a year. What will happen to his lisence[/QUOTE]
Bell
he'll lose it without any doubt....failure to recognise a hypo coming on is one of the main issues with dvla....hope hes ok though

thomasrichmond_16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My son had hypo whilst driving today and wrote 4 cars off. First one in over a year. What will happen to his lisence
Oh god hope everyone involved is okay! I'm gonna have to be super careful when I start learning in a couple of months for hypos usually my hypo awareness is pretty good though