Long haul flight

Toms Grandma

Hi,
I have just been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and have been told to use diet for control initially. I am flying to New Zealand on Monday and once there I know I can eat salads and watch what I am eating. However I have a 24 hr flight to do first stopping in Tokyo for 8 hours before flying on to Auckland. I have ordered diabetic meals but does anyone have any tips to get me through the flight and not arrive with blood sugar levels through the roof. Happy to take my own snacks on board if that is sensible.

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks. Wendy

josie38

Hi Wendy

i don't know if this will help you. I have T1 and when I went to the Seychelles with a stop in Kenya I took some little snacks in my hand luggage and ordered diabetic meals on plane. When plane was restocked in Kenya their idea of diabetic meal was fillet steak!!! When travelling by plane I always put snacks inside my hand luggage with a bottle of lucozade just in case but havn't has to have any thankfully. My sugar levels have really been ok on long haul flights.

I would suggest talking to your nurse about what to do about the time difference as this could cause problems.

Have a nice time

Josie

Toms Grandma

Thanks for the advice Josie, I'll take some snacks with me, just so I know I have got something. I think there will be fruit available but still unsure just how much I can eat without sending everything through the roof. I guess once I get there providing I am good it will settle down. :)

candyfloss

Dislikes
Processed foods and refined carbohydrates!
Interesting you have ordered 'diabetic' meals. I wonder what the airline interpretation of 'diabetic meal' is. Probably sugar free I guess. Unfortunately it does mean avoiding most of the rice, pasta & potatoe for the main course and the dessert & biscuits. If you drink, have a wine with the meal but keep yourself hydrated with plenty of water, not fruit juices. Do stretching exercises regularly and walk up and down the cabin at regular intervals. I usually take a bag of mixed nuts to nibble on between meals.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I would also advise walking about as often as possible to help stave off any possible DVT's ... maybe even investing in some support hose for the journey.

croftmanor

Dislikes
arrogant and assertive drivers, people with BO, no excuse for it these days
having had a recent 10hr flight i found that the inflight meals seemed to be pretty well balanced in terms of carbs and sugars using a bit of common sense and drinking plenty of water i never had a problem
as your diet only you wont have the worry of trying to get the timings right on any medication, i would say be moderate in what you eat on the flight, enjoy your holiday knowing that you can be "good" with your diet while in the summer sun down under, a little bit of a slip on your journey will be quite forgivable in the grand scheme of things, you already seem to have taken on board the ideas and care that you will need for keeping your health
best of luck and have a wonderfull trip
Crofty,

Toms Grandma

Many thanks for your tips everyone, it is much appreciated. I am so glad I found this forum, I don't feel quite so alone somehow. Have a lovely lovely Husband who is very supportive, but it is new to him too. So thanks Guys and Gals. :)

Toms Grandma

Just back from gruelling long haul flights and thought I would give feed back. On the whole the diabetic meals were without sugar but full of potato and pasta, which were the things I personally have been trying to avoid. They did well with providing lots of fruit for starters and puddings however. Air New Zealand did better than Virgin Atlantic but I shall definitely stick to ordinary meals in future and just eat what feels right for me. Plus take a few nuts to keep me going. Virgin did well with my breakfast yesterday morning....an egg and cheese panini and an apple muffin. They gave the fruit to someone else, they got the seat number wrong.........ah well, I had my almonds..... :)

Now back to get those numbers down, happy days.

Thanks for all the information folks, it certainly has been very useful.
Wendy x

croftmanor

Dislikes
arrogant and assertive drivers, people with BO, no excuse for it these days
Morning Wendy
Glad you had a good holiday and that you managed with diet pretty well,
as you say common sense is the key when you have a limited choice of foods, and like myself you can just leave the portions that have the worst effect on you,
I find i cant manage any rice or pasta, but that i can eat potatoes without any real effects at all
but as you say, back to reality and the "normal" days , at least you can enjoy the memories of your hols
best regards
Crofty

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
josie38 said:
When plane was restocked in Kenya their idea of diabetic meal was fillet steak!!!

Sounds like the Kenyan airlines have a better idea of what is a diabetic meal than most nutritionists in the UK!

If I was flying to new Zealand, I'd DEFINITELY take my own food on board, at least until I got to Tokyo. Then, I'd get to the closest Sushi restaurant and go crazy on the Sashimi!!! :lol:

I love Sashimi. :p