Cholesterol and diabetes

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They did a randomized trial in over 5,000 high risk Type 2 diabetics who had mild/moderately elevated triglycerides 60% were on statins. They added a triglyceride lowering med to half or them. Fenofibrate. Definitely brought triglycerides down, patients did no better. I don't think they did any worse but they didn't do any better either. I think the triglycerides were only average 160mg/dl. Not real high. ACCORD trial. 2010. NEJM.

Last edited:

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All drugs create side effects, you have to weigh up the benefits verses the problems they create. I prefer not to take them.
No. All drugs CAN create side effects. Just like all tires CAN blow out and make you crash your car. And stuff you buy at the healthfood store CAN mess you up too. Like the one that was used in a Belgian weight loss/health clinic that caused a couple dozen people's kidneys to fail. Ended up on dialysis. I think you can still buy the ingredient that did it by itself in bottles.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I do a cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and now cumin bomb (with several seeds as well). I make this palatable by mixing with 2 scoops of Whole Earth peanut butter and yesterday added Greek Yogurt.
I started to like this until I got to "make this palatable by...." Is it yukky? and if so, why eat it?

moleman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know roughly about good and bad cholesterol and have heard that Benecol reduces the bad stuff. Has anyone used the stuff and was it effective? Any advice about reduces cholesterol?
Hi Sue,
My cholesterol was far too high a while ago. Only discovered when I went to gp about skin coming off my tongue (lush, eh!). Apparently a symptom of hi chol, so was given 2 courses of statins, one after the other, but both brought my forearms out in odd spots, so now, as the license expired or whatever, I'm on Atorvastatin, and have the cholesterol level of an infant!
No side effects either.

Reactions: SueJB

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In the UK Surgeries receive a payment from the NHS for each patient prescribed statins, that meets the criteria

IMHO another example of "Money corrupts"
I'm sure they receive a payment for every patient they put on insulin too. To compensate them for taking care of sicker people. So if you get put on insulin you'd better question it, fight it, don't let 'em corrupt you!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
have the cholesterol level of an infant!
I am not sure such a low level of cholesterol is healthy. We need enough to function well. doctors have the idea that the lower the cholesterol the better, but there is such a thing as too low.

Reactions: dbr10

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi Sue,
My cholesterol was far too high a while ago. Only discovered when I went to gp about skin coming off my tongue (lush, eh!). Apparently a symptom of hi chol, so was given 2 courses of statins, one after the other, but both brought my forearms out in odd spots, so now, as the license expired or whatever, I'm on Atorvastatin, and have the cholesterol level of an infant!
No side effects either.
I'm on Atorvastatin and unfortunately I'm still an adult level