Lost bloods!!

macabee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
People who think Diabetes is 'nothing much to worry about'
Went for my six monthly check last week, asked the nurse what was my HbA1c, she looked at the computer screen 'normal' to which I replied what on earth does that mean, shrug of shoulders.

Then on to the doctor, I asked him about the 'normal' reading, he then went into the hospital lab site, no sign of my HbA1c, it would appear they 'mislaid' the samples. Mmmmmm...

Having looked back at my previous HbA1c reading, which were good and stable, he decided no need to take further bloods, wait until June.

Makes you wonder does it not.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I could excuse the lost bloods but I would have expected them to be repeated straight away. They obviously originally thought that they should be done now!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
So what was the nurse looking at when she said 'normal'? No results means that she was trying to fob you off?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Went for my six monthly check last week, asked the nurse what was my HbA1c, she looked at the computer screen 'normal' to which I replied what on earth does that mean, shrug of shoulders.

Then on to the doctor, I asked him about the 'normal' reading, he then went into the hospital lab site, no sign of my HbA1c, it would appear they 'mislaid' the samples. Mmmmmm...

Having looked back at my previous HbA1c reading, which were good and stable, he decided no need to take further bloods, wait until June.

Words fail me!!!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather

There isn't an emoticon for "it makes you wonder" or a "gobsmacked" one or "shaking head in disbelief" one either.
I think they, the NHS, do a great job...... but from time to time, you just wonder if they really really understand what it's like being a very solid and strong person and daily doing the neat little balancing act and jiggling carbs and deciding dosage. Then to be faced with that sort of indifference and lack of concern is just mindboggling. I'm only small (152cm) and against violence but sometime I just want to stamp my feet, have a real hissy fit in front of them and swear ten shades of sh.......!! and then kick in a few doors. Instead I smile and get angry inside. Need a zen master

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well - I was diagnosed diabetic after going for my annual thyroid level checks - so you never know, really.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Wow, so the nurse clearly lied to you and just made up an answer. I bet your doctor would do them again straight away if it were for himself. That's just terrible practice.

macabee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
I did say to the doctor, not my GP but the diabetic clinic doctor, it was an agreed decision not to have another HbA1c blood test, as my previous results have been very stable

Reactions: Rachox

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Words fail me. I personally would have made sure I had a re-test. Any blood tests can go missing, it's a human error somewhere along the line, but not to repeat the test is poor practice ..... how does the doctor know you haven't had a bad 6 months and deteriorated? He is assuming you haven't. It isn't just the glucose, it is the other tests that go with it that I would be concerned about. I can keep an eye on my glucose at home, but I can't keep an eye on my cholesterol, kidneys and liver etc.

macabee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Words fail me. I personally would have made sure I had a re-test. Any blood tests can go missing, it's a human error somewhere along the line, but not to repeat the test is poor practice ..... how does the doctor know you haven't had a bad 6 months and deteriorated? He is assuming you haven't. It isn't just the glucose, it is the other tests that go with it that I would be concerned about. I can keep an eye on my glucose at home, but I can't keep an eye on my cholesterol, kidneys and liver etc.

I should have said it was only my HbA1c that was missing, all the other tests results were returned

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I should have said it was only my HbA1c that was missing, all the other tests results were returned

Haha I would like to bet the nurse/doctor that ordered the tests forgot to put it on the order sheet. That is far more likely than the lab losing it.

Reactions: alanj

macabee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Human error somewhere!