Hba1c result

nicki_484

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve not worked all that out but a typical days food.

Breakfast. Wafer thin slice of Edam few wallnuts & coffee, or 2 boiled eggs & coffee

Lunch steamed haddock, or protein with salad or veg & celeriac ( chips, roast mash or dauphinois)

Tea something light omelette, boiled egg, fish or wafer thin cheese olives tomatoe etc.

Hope 5his helps

Thank you

Maradona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If metformin allows you to be a little less strict with your diet then why come off it? I am taking three 500mg.
I have a hb1ac of 35 but intend to continue with the tablets.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If metformin allows you to be a little less strict with your diet then why come off it? I am taking three 500mg.

Or even ace it 100% by remaining strict with the diet, but getting an A1C that is below 30!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

I doubt Metformin allows you to be less strict with diet. It just doesn't work that way. It does help, but to a limited extent only and certainly not by enough to allow more carbs. It is a help with morning fasting levels due to reducing the amount of glucose the liver produces, but again only to a limited extent.

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @ringi. I suppose I see Metformin as the first step on the slippery slope to insulin and I NEVER want to go there. But I also know that I may have to take metformin at some point in the future if I can't keep such tight control (and OMG it's hard with a stick thin husband and ravenous teenage sons mainlining carbs non stop!!).

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not to be negative, but at these HBa1c levels, I would recommend anyone who does not get the side effects of Metformin to take it. Personally, I intend to keep taking Metformin for as long as my doctor will let me, regardless of how low by A1C gets, as it has so many proven benefits for people with high insulin resistance regardless of current BG levels. (I would not think the same if I got the side effects!)

I tend to agree. When I was first diagnosed I was of the mind to get my levels under control then try to reduce my Metformin (I take 3 x 500mgs/day). Having got my HbA1c well down into the non diabetic range, I’m still going to continue taking it, it causes me no problems whatsoever. I know it doesn’t do a huge amount but I suffered with very marked liver dump in the mornings and now I don’t. I suppose I just don’t want to rock the boat and undo my hard work.
(Oh and also it means I don’t have to pay prescription fees for my other tablets and inhalers! ;))

Reactions: Jenniewren1958

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Remember that Metformin reduces insulin resistance a little, this results in insulin levels that are a little lower, and therefore our body reducing its own insulin resistance that then results in insulin levels that are once again a little bit lower REPEAT..... Hence we need to consider the long-term effects of Metformin on our insulin resistance, not just what our BG says over one week.

The above does not work, if we eat up to our meters, and hence stop the cycle by increasing our carbs. We can clearly make the above cycle go a lot faster by "low carb" etc, and without diet changes, Metformin just slows down the increase in insulin resistance.

When in double-blind studies, Metformin people were given Metformin or a "fake pill", the people on Metformin had their long-term A1C reduced by about 10, some people had it reduced by as much as 20. Yet we all know that on a day to day bases, we can't see much improvement from Metformin on our BG meters, as unlike "low carb" the effect cannot be measured on a meal by meal bases.

Polarice

hi hba1c nov 45 With medication now 45 without medication

Cholesterol down 5.6. Now 5.2
Trigs 2.5 Now 1.8
Hdl. 1.59. Now1.51
Nearly 2 1/2 stone weight loss

I Was disappointed hba1c stayed at 45,
Dn was really pleased & reminded me it was just 8 week since last test & first without meds

What is your secret - how have you managed this ?

I've got my hba1c down from 96 to 52, but I'm on 4 metformin a day and I'd really like to get it down further and so reduce the metformin !

Thanks !

Reactions: Prem51

Jenniewren1958

Type of diabetes
Type 2

What is your secret - how have you managed this ?

I've got my hba1c down from 96 to 52, but I'm on 4 metformin a day and I'd really like to get it down further and so reduce the metformin !

Thanks !
That’s great results polarice, I’m doin lchf & try to eat by 6.30 pm & smallbreakfast between 8/9 am

Dusty911

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As others have stated Metformin only gives minor support and in no way should anyone on any medication feel that their success in reversing the climbing of blood sugar levels is any less valid than anyone elses. We all have our own individual struggles our own targets and can choose our own path. For myself I agree with others that originally I was hoping to do this medication free but I am now listening to others and thinking Ok maybe Ill stick with the Metformin. Whatever others choose or have to do to battle this is in no way diminishing their success or struggle with this condition.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
“I put a lot of effort into controlling my blood sugar levels, I count my carb intake very accurately (50-70g/day), I test very regularly to check if my body isn’t tolerating something I’ve eaten. I don’t eat pasta, rice, normal bread or cereals. Metformin does very little to lower blood glucose levels and my levels do not spike and dip dramatically so I have faith that my HbA1c is an accurate reflection of my readings. It has also helped me lose 32kg easily, which will help too. I’m happy to take Metformin for the small amount it helps my blood sugar by stalling liver dump and helping ease insulin resistance, and also for the other benefits it gives. Fasting doesn’t suit me, I’ve tried it, my blood glucose levels just rise until I eat! I tested that recently when I fasted for my blood test.
I’m happy with the way I’m dealing with my Diabetes.”

I also can’t exercise as much as I’d like due to arthritis.

Moderator edit to remove reference to deleted post

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ToveyKath

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
By the way Rachox your numbers look AMAZING full stop not just on paper. And I like many others I'm taking inspiration from them. I only hope I can do as well :)

Thank you very much for your support. I’m trying to pay back now, as I got so much help support and inspiration from this Forum when I was first diagnosed. Hope you can continue improving too x

ToveyKath

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you!
You sound like you have a good understanding of your condition & know the best way for you to manage it. Well done, you should be proud of the control you've got - no one has a right to judge how you do that. Each one of us has our own history & individual story. What matters is that we are supportive of one another & offer suggestions or advice in a non judgemental manner - when it's asked for. Take no notice of anyone who wants to devalue you for the choices you make.

Edited by moderator to remove quote from previously deleted post

Last edited by a moderator:

Paulines7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Stuck up people. People who do not care about others. Racists. Intolerant people. Tories.
Just over a year ago, my HbA1c went up to 56. It covered a Christmas period and I had been eating a few things that I shouldn't have. At my review I asked my GP about Metformin and she said that she didn't want to prescribe that because of my kidneys. My creatinine levels fluctuate and sometimes give her cause for concern. I had no alternative but to be a bit more strict with my diet and get my levels back to 50 again, which I did in the summer. I have another HbA1c due this month and am not looking forward to the result as it has again been a Christmas period. Fingers crossed!

Jenniewren1958

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just over a year ago, my HbA1c went up to 56. It covered a Christmas period and I had been eating a few things that I shouldn't have. At my review I asked my GP about Metformin and she said that she didn't want to prescribe that because of my kidneys. My creatinine levels fluctuate and sometimes give her cause for concern. I had no alternative but to be a bit more strict with my diet and get my levels back to 50 again, which I did in the summer. I have another HbA1c due this month and am not looking forward to the result as it has again been a Christmas period. Fingers crossed!
Good luck with you’re hba1c

Paulines7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Stuck up people. People who do not care about others. Racists. Intolerant people. Tories.
Thank you Jenniewren.