Should t1s be advised not to have children?

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed T1 at the age of 63. So it took a long time. BTW, there were no other Diabetics T1 or T2 in any of the three generations before me.

Why are you a member of a FB group of parents with T1 children when your children do not have diabetes?

No im a member of a group of parents who have t1.
Some of their children also have t1.
The group itself is if you are a t1 parent.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is just a matter of time.
Why?
It's not guaranteed, there is a chance yes, but the there's a chance anyone can become diabetic - it may be a slightly higher chance that it was for my parents (since there is no family history of diabetes in my family) but it's still a low chance and certainly not guaranteed.

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Oh, excuse me, I didn't realize that a FACEBOOK GROUP verified the presence of a genetic predisposition to Type 1 diabetes. And more importantly, could you ask them to determine whether or not the Russians conspired with the Trump campaign to hack the US election in 2016? I'll give you Mr. Mueller's email address, he's the special prosecuter.

That isn't really what I meant.
But 10% is higher than you'd expect in the general population although I realise a very small sample.
Anyway, there is a genetic link. There is no point debating it. I wish there wasn't but there is.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Tho title of this thread poses a question should those with Diabetes type 2 be discouraged from having children I think you have the answer no.

Dark Horse

The Joslin Centre in USA has information regarding the risks of the child of someone with type 1 diabetes also getting the disease:- http://www.joslin.org/info/genetics_and_diabetes.html

Regarding mothers with type 1, they say, "if the mother has type 1 diabetes and is age 25 or younger when the child is born, the risk is reduced to 1 in 25 (4 percent) and if the mother is over age 25, the risk drops to 1 in 100 — virtually the same as the average American."

If someone doesn't want to take anti-depressants, there is other help available:-
http://depressionuk.org/index.php/how-we-can-help/
https://www.mind.org.uk/information...ession/self-care-for-depression/#.WnDDo2hl_rc
https://www.mind.org.uk/information...alternatives-to-antidepressants/#.WnDEzGhl_rc
http://www.moodjuice.scot.nhs.uk/depression.asp

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The Joslin Centre in USA has information regarding the risks of the child of someone with type 1 diabetes also getting the disease:- http://www.joslin.org/info/genetics_and_diabetes.html

Regarding mothers with type 1, they say, "if the mother has type 1 diabetes and is age 25 or younger when the child is born, the risk is reduced to 1 in 25 (4 percent) and if the mother is over age 25, the risk drops to 1 in 100 — virtually the same as the average American."

If someone doesn't want to take anti-depressants, there is other help available:-
http://depressionuk.org/index.php/how-we-can-help/
https://www.mind.org.uk/information...ession/self-care-for-depression/#.WnDDo2hl_rc
https://www.mind.org.uk/information...alternatives-to-antidepressants/#.WnDEzGhl_rc
http://www.moodjuice.scot.nhs.uk/depression.asp

That's right. However it doesn't look at how the odds stack when it has appeared in multiple generations. If it is in multiple generations risks become much higher as clearly it is genetic. Some types of diabetes carry a 50:50 genetic risk although whether that is us or not I don't know without genetic testing.

Dark Horse

That's right. However it doesn't look at how the odds stack when it has appeared in multiple generations. If it is in multiple generations risks become much higher as clearly it is genetic. Some types of diabetes carry a 50:50 genetic risk although whether that is us or not I don't know without genetic testing.
You can't do anything about the risk. You can do something about depression.

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes there is a genetic link but it is very, very small - concordance is 13% in monozygotic twins compared to 9% in dizygotic twins according to most reputable studies, with no statistically significant difference between the two groups in abundance of the MHC allele *believed* to be associated with a group of autoimmune conditions. It's wrong to say 'lots' of studies have been done, because comparatively, there haven't been, and in fact there is a lot of research coming out, particularly from Scandinavia, especially Norway, suggesting that the genetic element is not particularly a driving factor in T1, and environmental triggers are more significant. The vast majority of T1 cases are what we would call in neurodegeneration research 'sporadic' - no family history, no known inherited mutation.

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1

willmax

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think they should. Getting t1 is a total disaster and ruins your life. People should be advised if they are t1 you have a ridiculously high risk of passing the condition on (1 in 25) and then make a decision based on that.

No one gave me any advice on the risk and I'm very sad about it. If I'd known I absolutely would not have selfishly had children and put two more people on the planet with t1 genes.

Type 1 Diabetes is very much NOT a disaster! What a pessimist you are! Have you had any psychological counselling. If not I suggest that you do so as soon as you can. I was diagnosed with type 1 in 1950. I have passed through school and University, obtained an Upper second Class degree, completed a Ph.D. in 1975 and have travelled to every continent except the Antarctic without any major problems. I have lived and worked in Britain, the United States, Australia, Japan and India without any problems apart from an occasional hypo. I have two sons, both of which are NOT diabetic although one is coeliac which, of course, is associated with the same HLA gene complex as type 1 diabetes. I have worked in University education and research for the whole of my working life and my employers have been more than understanding of my clinical condition. Diabetes is very much NOT a disaster. It just has meant that one has had to be more responsible for controlling and living with one's condition. It has not stopped me from doing anything that I wanted to do. I strongly suggest that you obtain some psychological help in accommodating to your diagnosis. William Maxwell Ph.D., D.Sc.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think they should. Getting t1 is a total disaster and ruins your life. People should be advised if they are t1 you have a ridiculously high risk of passing the condition on (1 in 25) and then make a decision based on that.

No one gave me any advice on the risk and I'm very sad about it. If I'd known I absolutely would not have selfishly had children and put two more people on the planet with t1 genes.

Well I certainly don't want to jump on you, as I can't imagine the mental burden of being Type 1. So I hope you'll take the following thoughts in a positive light, even if the last one is challenging:

1) If your children do get Type 1, apparently that won't stop them becoming Prime Minister.

2) Posts on the Internet can hang around for years. I'd seriously consider doing this thought experiment: Imagine that you are one of your children. You grow up and at some point you a) Are diagnosed with Type 1, and b) See posts on this forum that suggest your parents wish they hadn't had you. Which would make you feel worse, a) or b)? Which would give you the worst quality of life? a) or b)?

I think the emotional / mental stuff is at least as important as the physical stuff in terms of quality of life. I'm thinking both for you, and for your kids. I feel there *must* be a way for you to break out of your current way of thinking. If it can't come from within, then I really hope you will find someone who can help.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They've identified the genes that carry an autoimmune risk (not specifically diabetes. Autoimmune genes cover other things too). Trial net specifically test people with first and second degree relatives who have t1 because they are. Ore at risk.
So I'm afraid you are wrong.
On a FB group I am on with parents who have t1 we worked out roughly one in ten of the children also have t1.
Hi @ExtremelyW0rried ,

Logically, your FaceBook group has attracted T1 parents with kids? Parents that are T1 (or T2 for that matter.) may also be drawn to this particular social networking support group.. There may also be a discussion along the topic of "who also has a diabetic child?"
A "rough" count up scrolling down a FB thread of the folk who said "yes", doesn't constitute as a clear definitive statistic of this study regarding passing on diabetes down the line..it just shows "roughly" 1 in 10 are involved on that particular Facebook site also with a diabetic child...

What are your husband's views regarding your thoughts..?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I tend to take the majority of things I read online with a big pinch of salt, there’s generally a commercial motivation to ‘spread’ stories around the internet.

I do not have any type 1 relatives so I am the novelty in our family’s gene pool.

Please seek some suppprt outside of your current social circles @ExtremelyW0rried it sounds like you are feeding from negative information sources which won’t help you move forward from your current way of thinking.