Visual field test

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Oh god so ive just shot myself in the foot i just assumed that because i ticked the retinopathy box they would want one, the dvla scares me haha
only missing 2 out of the whole test is ok -- you should pass with this no probs

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I have had visual field tests for the last 20 years ( every 3 years at renewal ---- I have always passed at near 100% )
@Soapybubs87 -- your test looks excellent

Soapybubs87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had visual field tests for the last 20 years ( every 3 years at renewal ---- I have always passed at near 100% )
@Soapybubs87 -- your test looks excellent
Thanks hun, it isnt an offical one asked for by dvla but i thought id send it as i had it and might mean no delays, i know they do random checks with consultants i just hope they dont ask mine..bit because im worried just it slows things down and i just want to crack on now

Reactions: himtoo

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They ask that vague question to us too, I answer NO of course. But what I've heard on this forum is that in the UK if you're on insulin the NHS has to make sure it gets reported to the drivers bureau and something gets put on your license. Heck in this country your license is good until you're 65, could be 30 years with no eye exam, you could be deaf as a post blind as a bat. It's pretty loose.

... Which maybe is fine regarding your own state laws governing fitness to drive.

Please be mindful this topic exclusively involves a UK applicant's query regarding the DVLA.
Regards.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh god so ive just shot myself in the foot i just assumed that because i ticked the retinopathy box they would want one, the dvla scares me haha

If I were you, I wouldn't worry. As a Type 1 on insulin you will be issued with a 3 year licence by the DVLA, it will have some restrictions as to what you can drive as well. Cars are fine, Trucks not!
They will now probably send you the DIAB1 form and take it from there, if they haven't already. Be honest, don't attempt to fudge the form, they will definitely ask for a visual field test.(if you falsify the information on the form you can be fined, and your insurance may also be invalid). The only issue is that they specify which opticians can do them for the DVLA, so you may need to have it done again, if your optician isn't acceptable to them. I've had laser treatment in both eyes and also Anti VEG-F injections, and they insist on these tests every 3 years. Looking at your visual fields test it looks fine. Be advised that there is definitely a 'pass' mark on this, I think you are allowed roughly 8 misses, but I think it also depends on which part of the visual field is affected. I don't think they will refuse you a licence on that, since there are no blind spots.

Reactions: Soapybubs87

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
In the UK I believe we are required by law to tell the DVLA if we have a medical condition that may affect driving and this definitely includes diabetes controlled by insulin, so we don't really have much of a choice if we want to stay law-abiding.

Or get insurance cover!

Soapybubs87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If I were you, I wouldn't worry. As a Type 1 on insulin you will be issued with a 3 year licence by the DVLA, it will have some restrictions as to what you can drive as well. Cars are fine, Trucks not!
They will now probably send you the DIAB1 form and take it from there, if they haven't already. Be honest, don't attempt to fudge the form, they will definitely ask for a visual field test.(if you falsify the information on the form you can be fined, and your insurance may also be invalid). The only issue is that they specify which opticians can do them for the DVLA, so you may need to have it done again, if your optician isn't acceptable to them. I've had laser treatment in both eyes and also Anti VEG-F injections, and they insist on these tests every 3 years. Looking at your visual fields test it looks fine. Be advised that there is definitely a 'pass' mark on this, I think you are allowed roughly 8 misses, but I think it also depends on which part of the visual field is affected. I don't think they will refuse you a licence on that, since there are no blind spots.
Oh thank you so much

Reactions: Zilsniggy

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
They ask that vague question to us too, I answer NO of course. But what I've heard on this forum is that in the UK if you're on insulin the NHS has to make sure it gets reported to the drivers bureau and something gets put on your license.

the NHS in this country isn't obliged to inform the DVLA of your condition, only if it is something like a stroke, and if you have been advised NOT to drive. Here the onus is on the individual to report changes in their medical condition. It must also be notified to insurers, otherwise insurance can be invalidated. We had an issue here where 6 people were killed in Glasgow, because a driver of a trash lorry didn't report that he had been having blackouts. Of course then he did, in the centre of the city, and mowed these people down. It's pretty selfish, not to mention downright dangerous and illegal bot to inform the correct authorities in this country, and can carry a hefty fine.

Dark Horse

They ask that vague question to us too, I answer NO of course. But what I've heard on this forum is that in the UK if you're on insulin the NHS has to make sure it gets reported to the drivers bureau and something gets put on your license. Heck in this country your license is good until you're 65, could be 30 years with no eye exam, you could be deaf as a post blind as a bat. It's pretty loose.
Could explain why 'Road fatalities per 100,000 inhabitants per year' is 2.9 in the UK but 10.6 in the USA. ;-)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi, just looking for advice ive applied for my first licence (left it till i was 30) whilst at specsavers i asked for a visual field test as ive had quiet a bit if laser and wanted to see if id pass befire applying the lady saud that i should be accepted with those results (see picture) i spoke to dvla and they said my results have been scanned in and are being revied...is there a pass rate or an amount you have to hit in order to be accepted? And by looking at my results what do you think the likelihood i will be issued with on my diabetes management is fab ive almost completed DAFNE im desperate to start learning as my nan had another TIA (her 3rd in 2 weeks) last night and i really need to get learning (i know it will take time, but i need to learn now more than ever) thanks
Hi, just looking for advice ive applied for my first licence (left it till i was 30) whilst at specsavers i asked for a visual field test as ive had quiet a bit if laser and wanted to see if id pass befire applying the lady saud that i should be accepted with those results (see picture) i spoke to dvla and they said my results have been scanned in and are being revied...is there a pass rate or an amount you have to hit in order to be accepted? And by looking at my results what do you think the likelihood i will be issued with on my diabetes management is fab ive almost completed DAFNE im desperate to start learning as my nan had another TIA (her 3rd in 2 weeks) last night and i really need to get learning (i know it will take time, but i need to learn now more than ever) thanks
31cfa85a3622c74c417e0d76b1b2d3d5.jpg
Hi @Soapybubs87 I had both eyes lasered between 1978 and 1983 on several visits for retinopathy. I likewise started to learn when I was 30 and have been driving since August 1988, having had at leat 9 visual fields tests. Not one hhas been anywhere near as good as yours. I don't think you have any reason to worry, especially since eye treatment has progressed far from the Stone Age now! Enjoy driving before the robots arrive...

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
OK I had to do this test last Wednesday when I applied for my licence to be renewed. This was the first time ever that the DVLA has asked for this to be done and I presume it was because I admitted on the application form that I have had had laser treatment on my eyes since my last licence was renewed. I have no idea if I passed or not as my optician claimed he was not allowed to give me the result and that it was down to the DVLA to decide if I had passed. If I have failed the test I will not have my licence renewed ! You can appeal and as far as I am aware you can continue driving until the result of the appeal is heard. Seems diabetics are being picked on yet again. My optician did say that my vision was perfect for driving and that in every other regard it was good.