Type 1 with a serious ED

staycee_xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
Ive have joined this forum this evening as I need to speak to someone about my ED.
I was diagnosed with T1 when I was 27 (about 4 years ago). Before I was diagnosed I was always the ‘party girl’ and lived my life to the full. After my diagnosis I calmed down a lot, got into carb counting, attending all appointments and living a healthy ‘normal’ life.
After about a year, I started to put on weight. In my mind this was down to my diabetes and, specifically, insulin. I got into my head that i was injecting fat into my body and I started skipping injections.
Its now at the point where I can go 3-4 days without my insulin and only when I start to feel a bit rubbish do I take between 20-30 units to bring my sugars down, before the routine starts all over again.
Whilst I am not injecting, i am binge eating and I have become obsessed with counting calories (not in an attempt to reduce my calorie intake but to try and make patterns with the numbers).
I was taken to hospital DKA on Christmas morning. I was unconscious until 28th December. My blood sugars on admission to hospital were 47 and my acid levels were 6.4. The doctors were amazed I survived.
I have been out of hospital since New Years eve and, whilst I was determined to change my life, I have fallen back to old habits really quickly. I have stopped injecting again. I know what I am doing is wrong and extremely dangerous but I feel physically sick at the thought of injecting.
I have an appointment with a psychologist next week (my GP has made a fast track referral for me), I just hope they can help.
I dont know what I am expecting from this post but I felt like I needed to share!
Thank you x

MrGrumpyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All these questions !
It be three years this April for me and I was 40 in July last year .... what ur going through I can so feel an understand what ur feeling ....an ya right it’s pants ......but sounds like ur doing right thing....keep being strong ...sorry am not much use...still getting used to it

Reactions: staycee_xx

staycee_xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s horrible because family and friends just dont understand. Frustrating! Thank you though, hope you’re doing ok too x

Reactions: MrGrumpyD

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sugar is our worse enemy.

Insulin is our friend.

Without taking insulin, you’re taking a huge risk of going into DKA and comatose again!

Reactions: Australia 1

MrGrumpyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All these questions !
Meh... bit of a pants day here as having to deal with diabetes doctors who haven’t got a clue plus they practically dismissed that I had a eating disorder. So it feels like I’m starting all over again ......but other than that tickly bloody boo loll

staycee_xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sugar is our worse enemy.

Insulin is our friend.

Without taking insulin, you’re taking a huge risk of going into DKA and comatose again!

Its easier said than done. I know exactly what I need to do and I am more than aware of the implications of my non-compliance unfortunately. Believe me, I feel guilty when I dont inject but I feel worse after I have injected. I’m disgusted with myself x

staycee_xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Meh... bit of a pants day here as having to deal with diabetes doctors who haven’t got a clue plus they practically dismissed that I had a eating disorder. So it feels like I’m starting all over again ......but other than that tickly bloody boo loll

Oh no! Sorry to hear that! I completely understand how frustrating it is x

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its easier said than done. I know exactly what I need to do and I am more than aware of the implications of my non-compliance unfortunately. Believe me, I feel guilty when I dont inject but I feel worse after I have injected. I’m disgusted with myself x

How about joining a gym and exercise for 30 minutes a day so you don’t put on the weight with insulin?

It might help!

MrGrumpyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All these questions !
Oh no! Sorry to hear that! I completely understand how frustrating it is x

Yarp.... guess am going to have a 420 moment and go to bed .. got foot team tomorrow ....joys eh .... think we should just leg it to hot beach and stick fingers up at all lol .. well just for 14 days at least lol
Have good night if can ........
It’s a step a day ....and if take a steel a day ... when u look back in a few days ..... u be further along than you thought ......

That or let makes cakes and say smegg it to world l.. course the main one prob best to go with eh ....
Be kool ...!!!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I did exactly the same thing, and ended up in intensive care with sugars so high they couldn’t read them (apparently it was the highest they’d ever seen at my hospital, somewhere north of 50). I’d been taking my Lantus just to keep myself alive but would go weeks or even months between checking sugars or taking my Novorapid. I missed a Lantus due to gastroenteritis, and my sugars spiralled overnight. Same reasons. This was back in 2012.

I’m glad you’ve sought help, that’s the first step. Eating low carb will help, especially if you have real difficulty bringing yourself to take your insulin. But please, please take your background insulin, at least x

staycee_xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How about joining a gym and exercise for 30 minutes a day so you don’t put on the weight with insulin?

It might help!

Thank you. I do go to the gym already but I think its more to do with injecting to be honest. I know I am not overweight and I wear a UK size 10-12 clothes. My weight has never been an issue prior to my diagnosis but in my mind insulin = fat and this is where i am struggling.
I am hoping that when I go to see the psychologist that something will just click and I will be back on track. Hoping for a miracle!
Thank you for your suggestion though x

staycee_xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yarp.... guess am going to have a 420 moment and go to bed .. got foot team tomorrow ....joys eh .... think we should just leg it to hot beach and stick fingers up at all lol .. well just for 14 days at least lol
Have good night if can ........
It’s a step a day ....and if take a steel a day ... when u look back in a few days ..... u be further along than you thought ......

That or let makes cakes and say smegg it to world l.. course the main one prob best to go with eh ....
Be kool ...!!!

Haha a two week break would be bliss! Have a lovely night! Enjoy footy tomorrow!
Thanks for the support x

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. I do go to the gym already but I think its more to do with injecting to be honest. I know I am not overweight and I wear a UK size 10-12 clothes. My weight has never been an issue prior to my diagnosis but in my mind insulin = fat and this is where i am struggling.
I am hoping that when I go to see the psychologist that something will just click and I will be back on track. Hoping for a miracle!
Thank you for your suggestion though x

Don’t feel so bad darling, we’ve all gone through this patch and I understand it’s horrible and there’s nothing we can do about it but to live with it and manage it to the best we can!

Look at our PM Theresa May, she’s T1 and running the country!

Reactions: staycee_xx

staycee_xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did exactly the same thing, and ended up in intensive care with sugars so high they couldn’t read them (apparently it was the highest they’d ever seen at my hospital, somewhere north of 50). I’d been taking my Lantus just to keep myself alive but would go weeks or even months between checking sugars or taking my Novorapid. I missed a Lantus due to gastroenteritis, and my sugars spiralled overnight. Same reasons. This was back in 2012.

I’m glad you’ve sought help, that’s the first step. Eating low carb will help, especially if you have real difficulty bringing yourself to take your insulin. But please, please take your background insulin, at least x

Thank you for this, its nice to know I am not the only one who has struggled. I havent checked my sugars in about a week but i havent missed a lantus since ive been discharged so thats going well so far. Ive been trying to stay low carb as much as possible but its so difficult when im bingeing as I literally grab anything in sight! x

staycee_xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don’t feel so bad darling, we’ve all gone through this patch and I understand it’s horrible and there’s nothing we can do about it but to live with it and manage it to the best we can!

Look at our PM Theresa May, she’s T1 and running the country!

Haha that is very true x

MrGrumpyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All these questions !
Haha a two week break would be bliss! Have a lovely night! Enjoy footy tomorrow!
Thanks for the support x

Football...... pish....I rather a real sport thanks ... surfing more my sports lol ... or was lol but I get ya ... u have good one too .. if need rant .. my big ears always can take a bashing

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @staycee_xx Firstly know that you are not alone here, there are many in exactly the same boat, it’s a disordered way of thinking in that believing insulin will make you fat and this takes over the mind in that it becomes a priority to ‘control’ weight through insulin manipulation when the reality is that you need insulin to stay alive.

Here’s my point - the reason type 1’s are entitled to free prescriptions is because insulin keeps us alive and each time you enter DKA aside from the damage it causes is that you are bringing yourself closer to death. Sorry there isn’t any nice way to say this but you need to take regular amounts of insulin and start getting yourself well again taking one day at a time.

The sad and stark reality to having an eating disorder with type 1 is that you are continuously damaging your body and although you may feel fine now there does come a point when all the complications start to multiply and affect your quality of life, although much can be done it won’t reverse the damage you are doing now.

Please stop for a minute and think about your DKA admission as your chance to do something positive for yourself and make some small changes ?

Also try and think about the benefits of good health over your appearance, I would rather be carrying a few extra pounds and have my vision than blind and thin, that is the truth of your situation, please seize the oppprtunity now to do something positive for yourself and your future x