Trying hard

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
When you say grains do you mean rice ect?
Not lentils pearl barley and split peas they are alright aren't they.?

It depends how they affect your sugars, I can't have any of those, basically they are starch, which is just another form of sugar. Don't worry about the cauliflower, I do mine in the microwave for about 10 mins until soft, add butter and cream and mash with salt and pepper. Makes a great sub for mashed potato. My partner, who isn't diabetic, now asks for it to be done this way! As far as the cauli rice, use grating disc in food processor or a box grater to get rice 'grains', then you can cook as desired, either plain boiled, or as fried 'rice'.

Any kind of grain you can think of isn't good for diabetics, ie wheat, oats, rice, quinoa etc. A very interesting book to read is 'Wheat Belly' by Dr William Davis.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Cauliflower mash and cauli rice are good low carb options. Try getting hold of the book 'Carbs and Cals' its quite good as it gives nutritional values for common foods, in pictorial form. Remember that starches and grains are also your enemy, as they will cause a rapid rise in your blood sugar. You should really test after each food, so that you have some idea of how your body reacts to that food, you may be surprised. If you don't test then you will have no idea. I believe with Type 2 diabetes the key is definitely diet. I'm Type 2 on insulin, and have normalised my sugar levels and really drastically reduced my insulin intake eating this way. Although we are all individuals.
Do you know youre tagged as a type1?

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Youre down as type2 now. I hope you can be treated in a more perceptive way now. You are doing fantastic with insulin reduction. Well done. :)
I had similar symptoms at a young age too, but never actually diagnosed until I was 41. Six months after my mum's death....2 stone lighter then than I am now, too. Still think I am not Type 2, certainly not a typical one!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I had similar symptoms at a young age too, but never actually diagnosed until I was 41. Six months after my mum's death....2 stone lighter then than I am now, too. Still think I am not Type 2, certainly not a typical one!
Who diagnosed you type2 and who started you on insulin? Type1s undiagnosed can be at times very thin. No fat hormone insulin in their body. Type2s have fat cells due to accumulation of insulin, even if not counteracted by liver. I feel type2s have a liver malfunction more than insulin more being recognise due to too many fat cells. Pancreas releases more insulin due to insulin not being processed and body is asking for more help from the pancreas to get glucose conversion released normally from mainly liver.
Before insulin were you very low on muscle mass too?

Begonia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you both for this at the moment it seems an impossible task to only eat 20 gms of carbs or below to lose weight. Even ryvitas are 6 carbs each. I have had to rethink amounts I eat.
I am going to try cauliflower mash and rice next week.
I get Atkins crispbreads which taste ok and are only 1.8g carbs each. Available on Amazon.

Reactions: Motherhen2014