I am so disappointed today

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
I weighed myself this dinner time three hours after a carrot soup for lunch and find after stopping bread and potatoes and having only celeriac in place of potatoes I have put on three pound this week.My readings are much better.I have been having nuts as a snack if I need something because I feel unwell or need something till my meal is ready.Can someone help please.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Only ever weigh yourself first thing in the morning after having a wee. It’s great that your numbers are improving, that is the most important thing. Are you including some healthy fats in your diet? What other carbs are you eating?

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
in ladies its more difficult to get an accurate weight. depending on time of month water retention/ or even if the diets bunged you up a little/ its more important that in the long term there is a downward trend a weeks weighting is not important.

Reactions: Prem51

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Only one slice of bread with soup today with butter and a slow cooker braising steak stew with carrots onions mushrooms and 5 very small Charlotte potatoes but only had one potatoes as the stew will cover three meals.
A slice of bread is 20 carbs I used to like that for breakfast with a boiled egg but trying to keep carbs to 50 each day so ditched the bread

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
in ladies its more difficult to get an accurate weight. depending on time of month water retention/ or even if the diets bunged you up a little/ its more important that in the long term there is a downward trend a weeks weighting is not important.
Thank you for your reply Paul is yes I am pleased my readings are much better but I have mobility problems from osteoarthritis a d am just getting over a bad sepia and body psoriasis and getting my weight down is important to me

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Our body weight varies throughout the day and will increase as the day progresses, so it is important to pick a time of day when we can weigh ourselves and stick to that time. It is best first thing in the morning, with no clothes on. Stick to that routine. If you weighed yourself after eating a bowl of soup and a slice of bread I am not surprised you had put weight on. You were full of food!

You are still eating a lot of carbs - carrots are full of carbs, just like potatoes and bread. It is carbs that put weight on us, so best to keep them right down. Eat plenty of good fats and protein - and less carbs. By the way - if you are eating a lot of nuts these won't be helping either.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
as bluetit says lose the bread and spuds. carrot is ok in small bits. onion is higher than we think. its quite dense. do you like swede and celeriac if you get your carbs down your body will lose the weight quite easily. ps i got a pressure cooker for christmas i love it. chicken works well

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you for this Bluetit. Can I ask should I restrict some fat and limit nuts do you think.?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for this Bluetit. Can I ask should I restrict some fat and limit nuts do you think.?

If you are still eating a lot of carbs (and it appears you are) then too many fats at the same time won't help. Nuts have a lot of calories and are quite fattening, as is cheese. If you cut right down on the carbs then you can increase your fats. It is bad to have both. It's one or the other! Your decision ... but of course carbs make your BG rise, fats don't.

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Totally agree with BT
I have a little ,might not be totally accurate but works in my head.
Think of it this way,your body prefers to burn carbs so it goes to the carb store,if there are carbs on the shelf body is satisfied and looks no further.
If the carb store is I little bare(bit like my local Aldi on a Saturday) it goes to fat store.Fat burns quicker than some carbs,hence weight loss.Jan17 to Oct 17 I shed 5 stone,now nearly 6 stone 3 pounds.
Ok theres a lot more to it like exercise and portion control but as a simple reference it works for me.

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you for all your replies I am seeing where I am going wrong will try again this week.

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
Also bear in mind that post menopausal women seem to lose weight at a slower rate. It took me a full year to lose 20 lbs but I feel so much better eating low carb that even without the weight loss, I would still eat this way.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could also try drinking more water. I find that I don't lose weight if I don't drink at least 2 litres of water a day.

Reactions: Grannypat

Begonia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I find that snacking on nuts makes me gain weight. Nuts are a great source of all the good stuff, but are so very easy to grab in handfuls before I stop myself. I try to limit them to about 10 grams per day (eg 10 almonds).

Honeyend

To lose weight you have to eat less calories, so apart from water retention which women are blessed with, have you replaced carb calories with fat calories? I use MyFitnessPal app to moniter both. So decide how many calories you need to eat to maintain or lose weight and use the app to monitor how you are doing, it will give you the values for most things, and you can use it out shopping, just scan the barcode.
I am a snacker, so I allow myself quite a lot of snacks in my daily allowance . Sliced cheese in packs, eggs, 85% chocolate,sliced ham or a bowl of homemade low carb soup. You just have to have so much lowcarb/cal stuff in stock that its hard to stray.
I think everyone uses nuts as a snack but they do bump up the cals.

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
To lose weight you have to eat less calories, so apart from water retention which women are blessed with, have you replaced carb calories with fat calories? I use MyFitnessPal app to moniter both. So decide how many calories you need to eat to maintain or lose weight and use the app to monitor how you are doing, it will give you the values for most things, and you can use it out shopping, just scan the barcode.
I am a snacker, so I allow myself quite a lot of snacks in my daily allowance . Sliced cheese in packs, eggs, 85% chocolate,sliced ham or a bowl of homemade low carb soup. You just have to have so much lowcarb/cal stuff in stock that its hard to stray.
I think everyone uses nuts as a snack but they do bump up the cals.
Thank you for your message I cannot get carbs on my fitness pal unless I go premium but I cannot afford that unfirtunatly

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your message I cannot get carbs on my fitness pal unless I go premium but I cannot afford that unfirtunatly

I use an app called Lose It which was free with my iPad (can’t remember if it was pre loaded or I downloaded it from the App Store). It’s American so a lot of the entries are not accurate for carbs as they use the American system. However, if you are prepared to do a lot of entry yourself (which I did), the free version let’s you track all nutrients. Just use the ‘custom foods’ list and enter your own values, either using the information on packaging or on supermarket websites. It’s a bit of a pain at first, but after a while the things you eat regularly will all be pre-entered. There’s also a recipe function so you can enter all the ingredients in things you cook yourself and calculate the nutrients per portion.

Honeyend

Yes you can, I do not pay.
On the free app it gives you the cal, carbs, fat, protein for each item. If you click on the pie chart on the top right of the screen, it gives you a choice of totals for calories and nutrients which include carbs for either the day, or an average for 7 days.
The ads are annoying sometimes. There are other free apps that count carbs and cals. I have been using this app for about 6 months and it seems to have the least glitches. I also like that you can add your exercise for the day.
I also have a pedometer app on my phone, also free. Shopping is really good for walking, a trip round the supermarket could be 1000 steps.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you for your message I now can see it thank you again.