How many obese people do NOT develop t2d?

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think life is extremely unfair when one of my very overweight friends has a hbalc of 39. She eats what she wants and has a perfect bp, although her cholesterol is high.

Does anyone know what percentage of obese people will never develop t2d? I know its the majority but I can't find any study saying this. I have started an xpert course and she is banging on about lifestyle (and low carb!!)but seems to say its lifestyle generated. I am aware of the genetic disposition although she did not mention it at all.

So instead of looking at why we get t2d and I would like to know what percentage of obese people do not develop t2d.

Thanks all.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In short most, ahem, 'calorie enhanced' people do not develop T2. I read somewhere that obese people make up a greater percentage of T2 population than the general population. BUT, that is probably because, no ifs, no buts IR people get fat.
Hence many people are only diagnosed once they are obese, when in fact the issue of IR developed years earlier. (When they were not obese)

Reactions: Sue192

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
The sound bite used to be that 80% of T2Ds are overweight or obese on diagnosis; however 80% of the overweight and obese do not develop T2D.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hard to tell but let's have a go

Obese in UK 2015 26.9% of Pop
https://www.theguardian.com/society...e-country-in-western-europe-oecd-report-finds
Uk Pop 2015 65.13 million according to Dr Google so we have 17,519,970 obese people BMI over 30
3,500,000 people with Diabetes in UK 2015
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/profess...s-reports/statistics/diabetes-prevalence-2015
If we go for the usual 10% Type 1 then we get 3,150,000 Type 2s
If we reckon on the usual 80% of Type 2's are obese we get 2,520,000 obese Type 2's of a total obese population of 17,519,970
That gives us about 18% of obese people diagnosed with Type 2
Of course this misses out the undiagnosed as well as those that will go on to develop the condition in future.
Also of course if we say that obesity can be a symptom rather than a cause then maybe we have a far greater population who are likely to be diagnosed.
Still isn't the internet a wonderful thing..!

Reactions: julie56 and Mark_1

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Apparently 25% of very elderly people have T2??? Having said that, I have a brother-in-law who is morbidly obese and has all sorts of resulting health problems but not T2D.

But honestly, I think the problem is with the food industry who push added sugar into all forms of processed food, I don't believe that people are suddenly more self indulgent/lazy/etc etc than they were nearly fifty years ago when I was first diagnosed, and then T2s and T1s were equal in numbers....

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just realised I approached the question from the opposite end.. i.e. how many obese people have been diagnosed with Type 2 which doesn't really help much... duh!
Internet may be great but my brain has stopped working...

Last edited:

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Apparently 25% of very elderly people have T2??? Having said that, I have a brother-in-law who is morbidly obese and has all sorts of resulting health problems but not T2D.

But honestly, I think the problem is with the food industry who push added sugar into all forms of processed food, I don't believe that people are suddenly more self indulgent/lazy/etc etc than they were nearly fifty years ago when I was first diagnosed, and then T2s and T1s were equal in numbers....

The depressing aspect of that is that when (if) you eventually go into care you lose control of your diet regime.

Unless, of course, you can last until LCHF is the main choice for a healthy life at all ages beyond childhood.

At the moment cakes and sweets keep the inmates happy, so less trouble.

Reactions: Bea56

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The depressing aspect of that is that when (if) you eventually go into care you lose control of your diet regime.

Unless, of course, you can last until LCHF is the main choice for a healthy life at all ages beyond childhood.

At the moment cakes and sweets keep the inmates happy, so less trouble.

If/when I get to that point I may just eat what I like and hope I meet my maker before complications set in!

Reactions: Sue192

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If/when I get to that point I may just eat what I like and hope I meet my maker before complications set in!

And that is the great advantage of having very good control (not just OK control) for us both over the next 20 or 30 years. It takes few years of bad control before the complications set in, provided they have not already started due to poor control.

Reactions: Rachox

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think life is extremely unfair when one of my very overweight friends has a hbalc of 39. She eats what she wants and has a perfect bp, although her cholesterol is high..

Your friend is very overweight and has high cholesterol, which go hand in hand with insulin resistance and T2. She needs to be careful. It may be just round the corner for her.

I have a friend in her 70s, lively and active, with a very sweet tooth. She is obese and has been on high dose steroids for a few years now - these are life long. Because of the condition she has that requires the steroids she has to have blood tests every 3 months, so her GP always throws in an HbA1c because of the risk of T2 with steroids. It is always in the 30s.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
your question comes across as thinking fat folks deserve to be sick. sorry no one deserves diabetes. in fact your obese friend may have a better diet than you. so why do you deserve diabetes.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
your question comes across as thinking fat folks deserve to be sick. sorry no one deserves diabetes. in fact your obese friend may have a better diet than you. so why do you deserve diabetes.
I'm sorry but it doesn't at all..
Are you having a bad day today? From your posts it seems you might be.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Rachox, great reply haha. My Mum went into a nursing home aged 80 (as a type 1) and they were still going on about diet!!! In the end she just ate what she wanted and that was that, they were still banging on about fruit and veg though and getting her 5 a day.

pete254

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think life is extremely unfair when one of my very overweight friends has a hbalc of 39. She eats what she wants and has a perfect bp, although her cholesterol is high.

Does anyone know what percentage of obese people will never develop t2d? I know its the majority but I can't find any study saying this. I have started an xpert course and she is banging on about lifestyle (and low carb!!)but seems to say its lifestyle generated. I am aware of the genetic disposition although she did not mention it at all.

So instead of looking at why we get t2d and I would like to know what percentage of obese people do not develop t2d.

Thanks all.
Assuming UK population at 65 million and 50-50 split between male/female:
According to Wiki (lol) in the UK 66.6% of males overweight/obese and 52.7% females overweight/obese.
This gives a total of 38.58 million overweight/obese.
Total diabetics (according to this site) 3.5 million.
So a total 35.8 million of overweight/obese people are not diagnosed with diabetes.
So approx. 90% of overweight/obese people do not have diabetes!
I know this ignores undiagnosed diabetics, Type 1 diabetics and normal/underweight diabetics.
But this is statistics so you can do anything with the numbers!:)

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i say that smacks of she deserves it more me.