Fundamental Question: Do I have Diabetes?

Kate_B

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
War, news
Hello, I live and work in Qatar, and therefore I don't have easy access to the NHS. In fact a few years ago I tried to get them to assess my diabetes from the results tests taken in Qatar. Their response was that they didn't use those units. I was thinking, it's a straight conversion, just Google it! Anyway, it was clear to me that they didn't want to do it.

I don't trust the health professionals here, they don't seem that knowledgable and some will try to change your prescription without any tests; presumably for backhanders from pharmaceutical companies.

Anyway, I have recently done some trials with the Freestyle Libre and love all the data I can get from it. I already know that white rice causes a huge peak; but potatoes, chips and ice-cream appear to have relatively little effect. I am still experimenting so no firm conclusions yet.

So back to the original question, given that I can now calculate the increase, the rate of increase, the recovery rate/time and all sorts of other metrics; is there a way of determining if I actually have diabetes?

Reactions: Olufisayo

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, I live and work in Qatar, and therefore I don't have easy access to the NHS. In fact a few years ago I tried to get them to assess my diabetes from the results tests taken in Qatar. Their response was that they didn't use those units. I was thinking, it's a straight conversion, just Google it! Anyway, it was clear to me that they didn't want to do it.

I don't trust the health professionals here, they don't seem that knowledgable and some will try to change your prescription without any tests; presumably for backhanders from pharmaceutical companies.

Anyway, I have recently done some trials with the Freestyle Libre and love all the data I can get from it. I already know that white rice causes a huge peak; but potatoes, chips and ice-cream appear to have relatively little effect. I am still experimenting so no firm conclusions yet.

So back to the original question, given that I can now calculate the increase, the rate of increase, the recovery rate/time and all sorts of other metrics; is there a way of determining if I actually have diabetes?
IMO the fundamental question is not, "Do I have diabetes?" but "Are my blood sugars going too high for health?" If you want to share some of the readings you are seeing, we could help you decide. You could also inform yourself at: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/16422495.php

Reactions: Kate_B

Kate_B

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
War, news
Hi Alexandra,

Thank you for your reply and data. My main concern is being unnecessarily on Metformin (which I have stopped taking) and ensuring that I eat a balanced and healthy diet that does not adversely affect my health.

I have attached my Glucose results for today; please bear in mind that I am experimenting and what I am currently eating does not necessarily represent my usual diet. I was on a ketogenic diet up until about three weeks ago.

My intake for today was:
07h33 Two fried eggs and 1.5 fried potatoes
10h15 One 40g packet of crisps
12h40 Homemade Chilli con Carne and half a baked potato
15h20 Half a bowl of Homemade Chicken, Lentil and Chorizo soup

I would be interested in your opinion.

Kind regards
Kate

Attachments

• Glucose 30-01-2018.png
    Glucose 30-01-2018.png
    199.4 KB · Views: 665

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Umm fair bit of potato in that lot is probably going to raise BS a bit.

A

Australia 1

G’Day @Kate_B. I use all Freestyle equipment and if you do not mind include me in your ring of Researchers in Qatar or where ever you are. One of my male engineer friends told me about how Dodgy the Pharmarcutical industry is there. He is too proud to join here. Your mate from the outback here.
Sam Brisbane QLD Australia.

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you have access to a BG meter and glucose (get from chemists) then you could do the following test.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucose_tolerance_test

I would think getting some safety advice first would be very advisable before doing this test.

In my case I did the test myself (as haven’t seen a diabetes consultant in nearly 2 years) and passed the test (without any medication) for the end of type 2 in Aug last year and the end of pre-diabetes in Oct last year.

Kate_B

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
War, news
Umm fair bit of potato in that lot is probably going to raise BS a bit.
Possibly; although previous experience shows that potatoes, particularly chips, did not affect my glucose levels unduly.

However the point of this experiment is to determine whether my body’s natural insulin is dealing with carbohydrates well. I am hoping that the experts on here can guide me as to whether this is the case.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I live and work in Qatar, and therefore I don't have easy access to the NHS.

Why on earth would the NHS assess tests done in Quatar? It's a national health service, not an international health service. The NHS is a healthcare service for people living in the uk. If you're not living in the uk then the NHS, quite rightly, has no interest in you.

The WHO diagnostic criteria for diabetes say a random (not fasting) blood sugar over 11.1 should prompt investigations into diabetes. None of your readings from yesterday are over 10, so they're all normal and non diabetic.

Ther further tests into diabetes would be hba1c over 48 or 6.5%. So what's your hba1c? What diagnostic tests have your doctors done and what are they telling you that you aren't trusting?

Why does your avatar say you are LADA? If you have a diagnosis as LADA then you're type 1 and definitely diabetic. There wouldn't be any question about whether or not you have diabetes. Historic posts suggest you were diagnosed type 2 4 years ago and are treated with diet and metformin only. Has something changed, have you had antibody testing that confirms a LADA diagnosis? If you were LADA, your body's natural insulin production would be dying off, or already dead.

Kate_B

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
War, news
Dear Catapillar,

Thank you for getting back to me.

Why on earth would the NHS assess tests done in Quatar? It's a national health service, not an international health service. The NHS is a healthcare service for people living in the uk. If you're not living in the uk then the NHS, quite rightly, has no interest in you.
My doctors have always been happy to accept appointments and provide me with the medication I need. I guess that as I have paid my stamp all my life and my NI contributions are fully paid up, then that's fine. A friend of mine is retired and living in Qatar and she gets her pension, including heating allowance!

The WHO diagnostic criteria for diabetes say a random (not fasting) blood sugar over 11.1 should prompt investigations into diabetes. None of your readings from yesterday are over 10, so they're all normal and non diabetic.
That's good; although the amount of carbohydrates I ate was small and distributed over several meals.
I checked back in my records and I have a peaks on
19 January of 12.2 mol/l,
20 January of 11.9 mol/l, 12.8 mol/l and 13.4 mol/l,
26 January of 11.6 mol/l.
But these are short terms peaks, often just one reading with the longest lasting about 40 minutes.
This was due to me simply eating anything, in particular rice which Have found tends peak my levels,

My overall average glucose is as follows:
00h00 to 06h00 5.5 mol/l
06h00 to 12h00 6.2 mol/l
12h00 to 18h00 6.4 mol/l
18h00 to 00h00 6.0 mol/l
Overall 6.1 mol/l

Time in Target (range 4 to 6 mol/l):
Above 45%
In Target 54%
Below 1%

Ther further tests into diabetes would be hba1c over 48 or 6.5%. So what's your hba1c? What diagnostic tests have your doctors done and what are they telling you that you aren't trusting?
MY HbA1C results that I've had done are as follows:
01-Oct-13 5.6%
12-May-14 5.8%
08-Nov-14 5.9%

The problem is that the results are based on a low carb/ketogenic type diet and I'm finding it hard to go back to a standard diet. This morning I had two hard boiled eggs for breakfast and my glucose levels stayed around 5.2 mol/l. A chocolate covered ice cream at mid morning raised it to 8.9 mol/l for a short time.

Why does your avatar say you are LADA? If you have a diagnosis as LADA then you're type 1 and definitely diabetic. There wouldn't be any question about whether or not you have diabetes. Historic posts suggest you were diagnosed type 2 4 years ago and are treated with diet and metformin only. Has something changed, have you had antibody testing that confirms a LADA diagnosis? If you were LADA, your body's natural insulin production would be dying off, or already dead.
That's what I don't trust; some doctors say that I am Pre-diabetic,some say that I'm LADA and some say that I'm Type 2. I've not had antibody testing; in fact nobody has ever suggested this before. I am confused by this and would rather self diagnose. I was taking Metformin until recently when I acquired the FreeStyle Libre and I was on a very strict low carbohydrate diet.

Does this help?

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We are not doctors and cannot diagnose you - but if your blood sugar is regularly going up past 8 after meals you are quite possibly diabetic. A normal, non-diabetic person generally will not go higher than that no matter what they eat.

If you're already avoiding carby foods then your HbA1C will probably be good, but that's like claiming your allergy has gone away because you avoid what triggers it. It sounds like you're already being prescribed diabetic drugs, and are self-testing so not sure what getting an official rubber stamp diagnosis will do for you? If it's really bothering you then I suggest you get a blood test done next time you are back in the UK (assuming you are still registered with a GP at home?)

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I guess the short answer is you need a qualified medical opinion to correctly diagnose you. Presumably that's happened at some point if you've been prescribed metformin? And if you have prescription drugs without a prescription, that could create problems for you.

But you should have a work visa for Qatar and should apply for a health card. That gets you some free access to health services, and if you have health insurance via your work, that may cover private healthcare. So if you're planning on staying >3months, see a doc in Doha to get an HbA1C test. You can't rely on the NHS for help while you're living abroad, and you need to make sure you're properly covered in Qatar in case something more serious happens. Medical repatriation could leave you with a very large bill otherwise.

Reactions: Prem51

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if youve not had antibody testing your not diagnosed lada or type 1 the normal treatment would be insulin. what were your readings at diagnosis.

Kate_B

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
War, news
We are not doctors and cannot diagnose you - but if your blood sugar is regularly going up past 8 after meals you are quite possibly diabetic. A normal, non-diabetic person generally will not go higher than that no matter what they eat.

If you're already avoiding carby foods then your HbA1C will probably be good, but that's like claiming your allergy has gone away because you avoid what triggers it. It sounds like you're already being prescribed diabetic drugs, and are self-testing so not sure what getting an official rubber stamp diagnosis will do for you? If it's really bothering you then I suggest you get a blood test done next time you are back in the UK (assuming you are still registered with a GP at home?)
Hi Alex,

Yes, I understand that you are not doctors; however what I’m trying to do is diagnose myself because I’ve had varying medical opinions from Prediabetes to Type 2 and I’m confused. I really don’t want to be taking Metformin if I don’t need to.

Surely the HbA1c test is based on a fasting compared with measured dose of glucose over time? That means the results should be the same regardless of my diet.

On the premise that I have installed a kitchen (I’m not a kitchen installer), repaired several cars (I’m not a car mechanic); I’m a firm believer that if we put our mind to it, we can do anything ourselves. We just need the knowledge and understanding, so I want to understand my situation better and come to a conclusion. The FreeStyle Libre is helping to a certain extent, but I wanted to know whether my results were consistent with a non diabetic or a diabetic person’s response. In my opinion, it is how well the body reacts to glucose highs. Do you agree?

Kate_B

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
War, news
I guess the short answer is you need a qualified medical opinion to correctly diagnose you. Presumably that's happened at some point if you've been prescribed metformin? And if you have prescription drugs without a prescription, that could create problems for you.

But you should have a work visa for Qatar and should apply for a health card. That gets you some free access to health services, and if you have health insurance via your work, that may cover private healthcare. So if you're planning on staying >3months, see a doc in Doha to get an HbA1C test. You can't rely on the NHS for help while you're living abroad, and you need to make sure you're properly covered in Qatar in case something more serious happens. Medical repatriation could leave you with a very large bill otherwise.
Hi First,
I have a Residents Permit for Qatar and I have company health insurance as well as the Qatar state Health Card. Unfortunately, I have had three ‘qualified medical opinions’ that say Prediabetes, LADA and Type 2. I also had a doctor try to change my medications to another type without even consulting or checking with me. That is why I don’t trust medical professionals in Qatar.

01-Oct-13 5.6%
12-May-14 5.8%
08-Nov-14 5.9%

Kate_B

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
War, news
if youve not had antibody testing your not diagnosed lada or type 1 the normal treatment would be insulin. what were your readings at diagnosis.
Hi Paulus,

01-Oct-13 5.6%
12-May-14 5.8%
08-Nov-14 5.9%

I’m fairly sure that I’ve not had antibody testing.

Do you know how one distinguishes between Non diabetic, Pre diabetic and Type 2 based on the HbA1C test results?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
maybe you need this scheme
50shades - Copy.png
to show you the different number compared to each other - notice that the green area is the non-diabetic level, the yellow the pre-diabetic level and orange and further on to the very dark red are the diabetic levels

Reactions: first14808

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
people with only pre-diabetes usually are not treated with any medication. The best and most effective approach is to count carbs and stay as low as possible many times lower than 150 grams of carbs in a day.. and do exercise and building muscles stronger and bigger... also when being a diabetic type 2 choosing the right foods is the most effective way to keep in control, the medication really do very little , unless one's pancreas is exhausted and no longer can produce enough insulin , then one would indeed need insulin , but in most cases of type 2 diabetes initially one is actually produsing much too much insulin .. one's body will by the way just not except the insulin anylonger due to insuline resistance

Last edited:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
your numbers are most likely pre-diabetic type 2.. if you were a type 1 newly diagnosed diabetic your numbers would usually skyrocket to a level closer to the twenties .... because then it would be a lack of insuline doing the whole mess... having a number in 5 and 6 area of HbA1c is more typical for pre-diabetic type 2´s

fine foods for predaibetics and type 2 diabetics are eggs cheese, nut ,meat and fish, cream , almost all vegs grown over ground except from corn... because they contain very little carbs and lots of fat and protein or are very high fibres

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
having a number in 5 and 6 area of HbA1c is more typical for pre-diabetic type 2´s
However it looks like those HbA1C numbers are from about 4 years or so ago, so it could have changed.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
However those HbA1C numbers are from about 4 years or so ago, so it could have changed.

well yes that you are right about.... so the advice would be go to your doctor and get a new blood test of HbA1c