Libre on prescription

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Would you feel bad having the libre prescribed but still testing up to 10 times a day....;)
Not 10 times a day, TBH now some days I blood test when I wake up, before driving and then at the end of the day. For food, as I low carb, I don't always need to blood test, just depends. without the libre, I'm lost

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well, I hope you get it.....

Its still up in the air to how prescribing is going to happen where I am.....

Reactions: Medusa41

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Did you have to agree to reduce the number of test strips? was your GP aware that blood testing has to continue?

That is coming to a head this afternoon as I am putting a request in for a repeat on my accucheck test strips. Keep an ey on the BG thread on here to see if I am successful :happy:

ScottyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just back from the Pharmacy - collected 4 Libre sensors no bother at all. Took 4-5 days from ordering to collection.

Reactions: Struma

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting. My CCG would only permit two at a time according to my GP. Bit of a nuisance having to reorder and collect that frequently, but so far no probs.

Might check with him again and see if it's changed.

ScottyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Interesting. My CCG would only permit two at a time according to my GP. Bit of a nuisance having to reorder and collect that frequently, but so far no probs.

I usually buy 4 at a time a so, like you, I'm not always ordering them. One the phone I just said that I usually buy 4. He said he'd give 4 until someone says he can't issue as many as that!

Reactions: Struma

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually buy 4 at a time a so, like you, I'm not always ordering them. One the phone I just said that I usually buy 4. He said he'd give 4 until someone says he can't issue as many as that!
hi, do you still get your test strips on prescription as well as the libre?

ScottyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi, do you still get your test strips on prescription as well as the libre?

Yeah I get 4 boxes (Contour Next) each time, Libre sensors, vials and pens of insulin. I also get 2 boxes of accucheck strips.

All of the above isn't always in one big order but when I need them as and when. The NHS seems to be very flexible with me due to my flying. I use a pump so need vials of insulin but need a pen incase my pump breaks/fails hence the pens. I have a main meter and also a back up meter hence the various test strips. I test very frequently at work as I have a strict blood testing protocol when in work hence the extra boxes that I get.

Reactions: Peppergirl

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

My first 2 prescriptions were for 1! Had to ask the nurse in the surgery to increase to 2. They were under the impression that 1 lasted a month!

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m proud of you for being T1 and a pilot!

I'm sure ScottyD will correct me if I'm wrong but he is one of only a handful of T1 commercial airline pilots world wide!

Wjohn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a enthusiastic supporter/user of the Libre system ,could I ask a question ?
Living in Scotland ,so am under the Scottish NHS ,where inspite of frequent statements on availability of Libre ,it comes to pass ,that only pregnant mums can get them ,but ,the latest Whisper is ,Libre will be made available to type 1s on 1st April , but all requesting them will have to jump through several hoops ? Has anyone heard or can give info. Because we certainly will not get it from the Scottish NHS / Politicians who in my opinion on this subject have behaved disgracefully ,
Wjo

Wjohn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Test strips and finger testing ,having been a type 1 for nearly 55yrs I found that test strips were really helpful in control ,but with a now unstable diabeties ,I was having to test about 10 times a day to achieve a form of control ,but then doctor informed me that due to financial limits I was being limited to 180 strips per month or 6 per day .( Useing Libre shows me to achieve a very good control I need to test 13 times a day .) But ,the six per day then resulted in weekly visits to A and E with all the stress that involves ,including increase in NHS costs ,so I had to take the Libre route ,but very glad I did ,inspite of the financial costs on my pension .
Wjo

Reactions: porl69

Sonnyb2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
None
Hate the libre... Love finger prick tests as the libre is 5 mins behind

Sonnyb2

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hate the libre... Love finger prick tests as the libre is 5 mins behind

Sonnyb2

Well, if you expect it to completely replace dosing calculations etc then it will be a disappointment.....although using the word hate seems a tad much.....;)

basal testing and getting ahead of lows and highs is the winning factors for me....