Hypo vomit?

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have never vomited with a hypo wonder if we are concentrating to much on low Blood Sugar rather than the reasons for it you seem to have been surprised that you were low at bed time........sometimes may get low or high as a result of other illness could the vomiting be the result of food poisoning ? I agree that you should eat more carbs if low have no experience of bs level with food poisoning...just thinking outside the box

Reactions: donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I wasnt thinking about the low at all but for reasoning of eating clotted cream before bed...

I see the reasoning but was stating from someone that has nausea/vomiting that fat exasperates it..

Not necessarily for what has happened but for future.

For me as well soinach is a huge no, no. It does not breakdown in my stomach and comes out rear end in a tangled full leaf... imagine tha multiplied and its chronic for blocking as well

I personally would not necessarily jump to conclusions that hypo and vomiting was linked..

Only from my own experience I would monitor in future the foods that you had ate in the last 36 hours

Just be aware that undigested foods can affect both bloods and vomitting...

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Thank goodness your ok @catapillar - what a really awful episode and then dealing with the confusion over the sickness, I know you have a good handle on things but for peace of mind i’d suggest a chat with your GP to see if any light can be shed on this - wishing you a healthy 2018.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'd had a cup of tea and some clotted cream just before going to bed and assumed that would keep me bumped up through the night (rock n roll).
Just puzzled, not much carb in that surely??? Having said that, I realise you know your own body and what will boost your bg levels long term....
And I thank my lucky stars that I still have good hypo awareness, though not if I keep my blood sugars too low (one reason why I don't try for "perfect" hba1c, not that I could necessarily achieve it if I wanted to :)).
Lots of hugs, hypos are the worst. Vomit just adds insult to injury.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
@catapillar .... may that be the last time you experience such an episode.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@catapillar WOW not the best start to the New Year. Glad all is ok now. Been T1D for 45 years and had more than my fair share of hypos. Not once have I been sick from them. Only thing I can think is maybe the clotted cream made you sick?? Fingers crossed you dont get another one like that x

mangobe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In my experience, discovering that I'd vomited has often been the only sign that I'd had a severe nocturnal hypo, so hypos & vomiting are so very clearly linked I've never spent any time wondering why.

If your stomach is empty the vomit can be very clear & hardly noticeable once dried, so sometimes I've only realised I've had a hypo when I've later discovered a strange knotty clump in my hair. On other occasions I've been just conscious enough to know I was retching & drooling while hypo.

Since this is such a common experience during severe hypos it has always worried me that I might choke on vomit, but perhaps the saving grace is that in order to get so severely hypo, & for it to come on slowly while one slips into sleep or unconsciousness, one usually must have eaten far too little of anything for quite a while, so one typically has an empty stomach. As a result the vomit can be mostly just clear & almost odourless slime. Or it is by the time you notice it if you do at all

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh my goodness this whole story is horrifying!! I have no clue if hypos can cause vomiting (I would think that's a pretty dumb response by your body, surely it wants food in not food out but hey what do I know). Perhaps you had a seizure without realising and it somehow made you vomit. Or perhaps your body way overcompensated with its own glucose and that made you vomit? Or perhaps just a stress/anxiety thing? I have no idea, ask your doctor about it - it might not even be directly related to diabetes.

If you want some advice for waking up to lows, try putting your receiver in a metal bowl to make the vibrations extra loud. I tried that for a while when I was having issues with my blood sugars in the night and it seemed to help.