Snacks for long haul/Maldives

PD Oz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi.

I'm so lucky to be going to the Maldives in a couple of weeks time.

We are flying via Dubai but that's just for a transfer.

What im asking is for suggestions of snacks to take for the flights and stay. I'm sure I'll have no problem getting hold of some but I do want to take some with me.

I've got some individual bags of popcorn and some 12g portion bags of nuts and seeds. I'd appreciate some other thoughts please.

Tia
I don’t know which airline you are using but from my experience I travelled with Emirates a few times, a few years ago. I found them to be fantastic in terms of their special meals they served to me after I had advised them of my dietary needs in advance. They served up really well designed meals and I had the best readings of any time I have been travelling by air. As for snacks maybe a chocolate nut bar, some nuts and a small number of jelly beans on hand if needed. Otherwise the airline should be able to give you some biscuits, cheese and nuts on board to keep for the trip.

Reactions: 4mum_

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I don’t know which airline you are using but from my experience I travelled with Emirates a few times, a few years ago. I found them to be fantastic in terms of their special meals they served to me after I had advised them of my dietary needs in advance. They served up really well designed meals and I had the best readings of any time I have been travelling by air. As for snacks maybe a chocolate nut bar, some nuts and a small number of jelly beans on hand if needed. Otherwise the airline should be able to give you some biscuits, cheese and nuts on board to keep for the trip.
We are going with Emirates so that's good to know. Thanks. I'm predominantly veggie but believe it or not it was hard to find what 'special meal' I wanted! So have gone for the raw food vegan. First time for everything. Cheese and biscuits always good.

How do you cope with the time difference? I'm only 8 months in so any tips help.

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Coffee w/heavy cream, I make a home made low carb bread that has really helped me stay on track.
We are going with Emirates so that's good to know. Thanks. I'm predominantly veggie but believe it or not it was hard to find what 'special meal' I wanted! So have gone for the raw food vegan. First time for everything. Cheese and biscuits always good.

How do you cope with the time difference? I'm only 8 months in so any tips help.
I haven't flown w/Emirates, but fly often on other carriers. I found the nuts & buiscuits not to be carb friendly. So if Emirates has low-carb snacks, that's great!

Reactions: 4mum_
D

Deleted member 308541

Otherwise the airline should be able to give you some biscuits, cheese and nuts on board to keep for the trip.
When I used to fly a lot of long haul stuff both on Qantas and Singapore Airlines, there was always snacks being offered with the drinks trolley.

Just before xmas we flew Alliance from Bundaberg to Brisbane, then with Virgin to Perth, then Alliance on to Geraldton. It took around seven hours and we had a bag full of snacks we collected in flight for the grandkids to get into.

PD Oz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only

The time difference was not a problem. Essentially if you aim to eat the same type of meal as you would depending on the time of day and dose up accordingly you should be fine. So it may mean having some meals closer together or slightly further apart. If you have a regime of long acting (1 dose just befor bedtime) as I do in addition to rapids with meals I aimed to have that at the normal local time. I find when travelling it is best to assess the meal first by looking at it then working out the most suitable dose as you tend to get lots of surprisingly different food things at times. And then it may be wise to leave portions rather than feel committed to having the whole lot eg as for some desserts. I think Emirates must have carefully worked out the most optimal meals for diabetics by getting good advice as I had both the mains and desert with confidence. Most other airlines I have been with don’t bother altering anything if you tick the box “diabetic” so I give up trying to let those ones know.

PD Oz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only

Another tip I should mention too is that when you board the flight I find it best to keep my insulin pens and needle tip in a small pouch with me to avoid having to get up and obtain them from the overhead locker. Can be tricky when trolleys are blocking the passage way. I then prefer to inject where I sit, sometimes crouching over toward my wife for some cover to avoid any prying eyes!