WONDERFUL NEWS

Viv0147

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
there isn't much I dislike maybe rude and aggressive people
Congratulations for such a great news. Keep up the good work. Could you tell me how many HbA1c test did you have to take to come to a conclusion that you are non diabetic or you have put your diabetes into remission? It would be great to know for many of us and it is definitely motivating.
I was having a HbA1c test about once a month because I was on a trial it has been showing for the last 6 months I was in remission but the Doctor was unsure about stopping the meds until it became irrefutable and now I will have to have another test in 3 months to see what the figures are like

Reactions: amiga and Prem51

QPR4Me

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Exercise machines and Gyms. Avoid like the plague.
I was suffering from diabetes 2 part of my treatment was 4 x 500g Metformin at the time and they were not working as they should so it was suggested by my doctor I might need to go onto insulin injections to control my diabetes this frightened me.

So after doing quite a bit of research I came across the low carb high fat lifestyle and in the forums I was reading about amazing weight loss and in some cases reversing diabetes.

Well today my Doctor stopped all my medication for diabetes because I am (NO LONGER DIABETIC)

I am hoping my story will help motivate others

I weighed 17 stone 3lbs = 241 Lbs

I now weigh 11 Stone 10 Lbs = 164 Lbs = 77 Lbs loss
Well done that man! I was diagnosed T2 in 1986, without being overweight. I went down the route of Chloropropamide and Metformin. However, the latter was a disaster for me, so I moved to Insulin. Over the years, all was well, then, after an injury (or few) I stopped playing football at 44. I also stopped smoking. My weight began to suffer, my Insulin use increased, my Depression got worse. In October 2016, I weighed in at exactly the same weight as you were (241 lbs) and had some very poor HbA1c results. After speaking with my Diabetic Unit people, I did some research on changes of meds. In June, I abandoned Sitagliptin and started using a Victoza (Liraglutide) injection. I also cut down my insulin intake by a quarter, then increased the cut to a third. This, along with switching my diet towards a moderate low carb diet (1 slice of bread per week, no rice or pasta) but with more fresh veg and fruit, helped my weight to come down. In November, I added Jardiance (Empagliflozin) to my meds. Until this week, I have been on less than half of my October 2016 total Insulin dose (from 91 units of fast & slow down to 38 total units) I have had a bit of a wobble with some errant higher sugar levels in the last few days (my guess is some virus of other troubling me). Seeing GP in a couple of weeks for a check up. I am now down to 180 lbs, so a total loss of 61 lbs since Xmas 2016. Overall, I am a lot fitter than I was, and now have the hope that I can reach my long term target of 175 lbs. I am completely off the Blood Pressure tablets (2 types) with the full agreement of my GP and return figures, that I've not seen since my early 20s (am 59 now). Still have work to do but your story helps enormously!

Reactions: Prem51

Viv0147

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
How long did this take and how low did you go on the carbs?
About 12 months I started on 50 carbs lost a few stone then came to a standstill so lowered it to 30 carbs I have been on maintenance the last 6 months

Viv0147

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well done that man! I was diagnosed T2 in 1986, without being overweight. I went down the route of Chloropropamide and Metformin. However, the latter was a disaster for me, so I moved to Insulin. Over the years, all was well, then, after an injury (or few) I stopped playing football at 44. I also stopped smoking. My weight began to suffer, my Insulin use increased, my Depression got worse. In October 2016, I weighed in at exactly the same weight as you were (241 lbs) and had some very poor HbA1c results. After speaking with my Diabetic Unit people, I did some research on changes of meds. In June, I abandoned Sitagliptin and started using a Victoza (Liraglutide) injection. I also cut down my insulin intake by a quarter, then increased the cut to a third. This, along with switching my diet towards a moderate low carb diet (1 slice of bread per week, no rice or pasta) but with more fresh veg and fruit, helped my weight to come down. In November, I added Jardiance (Empagliflozin) to my meds. Until this week, I have been on less than half of my October 2016 total Insulin dose (from 91 units of fast & slow down to 38 total units) I have had a bit of a wobble with some errant higher sugar levels in the last few days (my guess is some virus of other troubling me). Seeing GP in a couple of weeks for a check up. I am now down to 180 lbs, so a total loss of 61 lbs since Xmas 2016. Overall, I am a lot fitter than I was, and now have the hope that I can reach my long term target of 175 lbs. I am completely off the Blood Pressure tablets (2 types) with the full agreement of my GP and return figures, that I've not seen since my early 20s (am 59 now). Still have work to do but your story helps enormously!
Thank you for your comments and congratulations on your weight loss

Mátyás

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am very happy to hear your story, congratulations and thank you for sharing it! My grandpa has DM-2, too but he did not believe in low-carb when I mentioned him a couple of years before. Now your story can stimulate him, I hope.

Take care and all the best to you!

M

Wilderbeast

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was suffering from diabetes 2 part of my treatment was 4 x 500g Metformin at the time and they were not working as they should so it was suggested by my doctor I might need to go onto insulin injections to control my diabetes this frightened me.

So after doing quite a bit of research I came across the low carb high fat lifestyle and in the forums I was reading about amazing weight loss and in some cases reversing diabetes.

Well today my Doctor stopped all my medication for diabetes because I am (NO LONGER DIABETIC)

I am practically identical to yourself what did you do ...please let me know Garundi

amiga

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was having a HbA1c test about once a month because I was on a trial it has been showing for the last 6 months I was in remission but the Doctor was unsure about stopping the meds until it became irrefutable and now I will have to have another test in 3 months to see what the figures are like
Thanks for replying VIv0147. That sounds like a great achievement and consistent.
It is a great motivation and I am due to get my HbA1c results in a few days and fingers crossed things work well as last time it was great and had massive weightloss but everyone is different and their body reacts differently so lets see.
In the meantime all the very best and keep doing what you are doing. Cheers!!!

JayneJordon

Excellent news I too am only on Low carb and find it really works well for me, but I'm in awe of you smashing it completely... I'm determined to be right behind ya !
Well done

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
oh I like this, very much, very, very much.

bunny58

Type of diabetes
Type 2

That's fantastic you are proof it can be done I have lost 3 stone so far

kipkatzzz_

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes

Well done, carbs are the very devil! My husband & I have just arrived in Melbourne Australia & went out to eat last night but in spite of recommendations (trip advisor), ended up at a massive carbsfest restaurant- bread & olive oil nibbles, then a burger with no salad & a gigantic portion of fries! I left the bun & the fries & it didn’t leave me with much! A far cry from all the fab seafood we had in Singapore!

Paulines7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Stuck up people. People who do not care about others. Racists. Intolerant people. Tories.
Well done, carbs are the very devil! My husband & I have just arrived in Melbourne Australia & went out to eat last night but in spite of recommendations (trip advisor), ended up at a massive carbsfest restaurant- bread & olive oil nibbles, then a burger with no salad & a gigantic portion of fries! I left the bun & the fries & it didn’t leave me with much! A far cry from all the fab seafood we had in Singapore!
When I eat out I tell the waiter that I am diabetic and ask if I can have salad or some green vegetables instead of chips. I haven't been refused yet and I mainly eat in cheap restaurants such as Hungry Horse and Brewers Fayre! I don't know if they have those in Australia but I am sure they will have something similar. I usually have steak or fish such as grilled trout or bass and avoid fish in batter or breadcrumbs. I hope you find somewhere better for your next meal out.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn

Dunno where you went, but MEL is the food capital of the country (more nations represented that the UN can muster) and the selections enormous. Most restaurants will do meals to comply with your needs, seafood included