Poll: Which diabetes course(s) have you attended?

Which of the following structured diabetes education courses have you attended?

• DAFNE

Votes: 122 18.8%
  • DESMOND

Votes: 122 18.8%
  • X-PERT

Votes: 70 10.8%
  • ASPIRE

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Freedom4Life

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Other (Please state in a post)

Votes: 67 10.3%
  • Never attended one

Votes: 291 44.8%

• Total voters

Paulabetts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
meat selfish people slugs and snails
never been offered a course I see my Diabetic Nurse who gives me one lot of info followed by my Dr who offers totally different info followed recently by a visit to the diabetic clinic at the hospital where I got even more info that I had not been given before

Reactions: mick180

Cdeegan65.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm in Ireland. Currently doing the Xpert course with a community dietician. Despite the usual advice re carbs we are being encouraged to monitor our blood glucose to learmn how our bodies react to foods and they are not prescriptive about the routes people should take to health. The emphasis is on understanding what has gone wrong and what pushes up glucose. I waited 8 months but now have 6 two and a half hour sessions and a follow up in 6 months. I count myself lucky.

Hi
I’m registered for this course to commence end of January.
I’m really looking forward to it.
As my BS is higher this week than it was over Christmas!!
Don’t know where I’m going wrong.....

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was offered a place on the X Pert course - 6 x 2½hour sessions - by my Dr/NHS. Really good, a bit of an eye opener.

It appears that some us are offered these but others not. I am guessing it is all down to which area you live in (Postcode lottery) as my father has T2 and tells me he has not been offered any courses and he lives over 200 miles away.

Olufisayo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Going out. After closing from work, I relax at home.
None. I do read books and I subscribed to other medical info on line

Hwad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed in November and am booked on Xpert at the end of Feb. My mother was diagnosed in April and lives five minutes away has never been offered. I am allowed to take her with me on my course tho

Reactions: Olufisayo

john john

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A couple of years ago roughly I attended a 6 week course from my GP and was put on lixisenatide , I lost about 5 stone and it was brilliant for me. I am holding steady at 14 stone.

Reactions: Mags H

CathyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I asked to go on a Desmond course an was told they don't exist. I went on a course with a dozen or so others with a dietician ,I think called the diabetes road map conversation. Designed to help you lose weight by showing the plate, explaining food labels, demonstrating portions etc It was 6 afternoons. It was simplistic but interesting. The discussions were probably the most xxx t useful part of it.t

john john

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I must admit my course made me realise what I was doing wrong on the food front CathyP.

john john

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed in November and am booked on Xpert at the end of Feb. My mother was diagnosed in April and lives five minutes away has never been offered. I am allowed to take her with me on my course tho

john john

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did this course and it was very useful, keep an open mind. Regards John

Reactions: Prem51

shezza48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Went on the expert course, was diagnosed in 2012, only when I changed doctors did I get a DSN, a consultant and got a place on the expert course, going on a three hour carb awareness course next week. I’m having lots of hypos so I have got to see my DSN about change of insulin. Just got a self funded CGM, now looking into self funding an insulin pump.

shirleyannco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was pressed to attend a DESMOND course by my GP - less than a month after formal diagnosis. I felt that the information as presented was a little “simple” at times, and was still coming to terms with being diabetic, but nonetheless learnt quite a lot. The staff wanted me back for follow-up attendance the following May (2017), but haven't heard from them since.

However, their (NHS dietary) recommendations didn't help me, and was confused for some time until I read up on LCHF diets and step changes earlier this year.

I also found this course a waste of time and very patronising

lalacakez

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was in the hospital they ran me through a course for 4 days and I was done it was to much all at once and I don't lick hospitals so i never went back after I finished

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
None that were worth a cracker.
The educator should just pass on a link to this web site.

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagnosed in June 2017 by my GP following my annual bllod test. I saw the Diabetic Nurse in July and was booked on the
X Pert course for Sept - which i could not make. I did move it to Nov/Dec.

V.Good course - it helped open my eyes to what Ishould be eating and doing as opposed t te "generic" advice all type 2's seem to get.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did the DESMOND course recently and regarding diet it was surprisingly up to date. However, they said an HBA1C over 53 was diabetic and under 53 prediabetic. They even wrote this on the white board so I didnt imagine it. Everyone except me had been put on Metformin at diagnosis and they couldnt understand why I wasnt. I didnt own up to saying no thanks. Most were men in their 70s who just wanted to take the pills enjoy their takeaways and booze but avoid nasty things like amputations!

sheila48

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I have never been offered to go on a course. The only information I was given was to follow the NHS diet, which I did and hey ho put on loads of weight. I came across the low carb diet by accident and have lost a lot of weight. Just grateful I found it.

Ragmar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went to this course offered by my clinic that said we should eat at minimum 165 carbs per day and 240 carbs per day max. When I saw that I asked "Doesn't carbs raise our blood sugar" and was quickly met with that "you need carbs for energy so your brain can develop"