Foot care - how often?

DeafDiabetic

On the NHS I see the chiropodist/podiarist 4 times a year (an arrangement before I was diagnosed as diabetic approx 3 months ago). Every time I go my toenails are always uncomfortably long. Should I be going more often or should I do it privately in between the NHS sessions?

Any advice appreciated, thanks!

G4WIL

DeafDiabetic said:
On the NHS I see the chiropodist/podiarist 4 times a year (an arrangement before I was diagnosed as diabetic approx 3 months ago). Every time I go my toenails are always uncomfortably long. Should I be going more often or should I do it privately in between the NHS sessions?

Any advice appreciated, thanks!
My diabetic nurse told me that the podiatrists function was care of feet/legs and looking out for problems associated with diabetes such as loss of feeling/ unnoticed damage neurophathy and not chiropody .This (the cutting of ones nails is down to the patient ) unless of course other conditions warrant free chiropody services !

John Wilkinson

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
However you get your nails trimmed is up to you, but to keep them long to a point where toe damage can occur is courting trouble. Tissue damage with diabetes can lead to more trouble with slow healing wounds and potential for infections.

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My toes would be in a terrible state if I only cut the nails every four months. My understanding was like John said, that these appointments were't for pedicures (I don't mean nail polish, I mean cutting nails!) they were to see if there are problems with your feet.
I hope that the NHS provide nail cutting services if you are unable to do it yourself, but fear this is not the case.