HELP!! How Many Carbs Per Day Do you think? Expert Advice Needed

speedking668

Hello

I was eating around 160-180g per day of carbs, no exercise, hardly any movement spending most of my day ie 12 hours behind a computer screen.

My fasting sugars vary anywhere between 6.3-6.7 this is based over the last 2 weeks . From This let's say my average is 6.5

My Plan is this, please point me in to the right direction.

From monday I will be starting a compound / resistance training regime , will probably be doing this 3-5 times a week.

My main question is in regards to diet, I was thinking of going on a keto diet all out and dropping my carbs to 50g or less per day.

Or

Since im no adding training and activity do you think I will be able to get away with 100g carbs per day?

Should i perhaps start off with that range of 100, monitor it for 1-2 weeks and if there is no improvement then perhaps lower my carbs to sub 100 and so on ?

Either way ill update the thread with my results on day 5 6 and 7 for each week.

Thank you in advance

Last edited:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@speedking668 . 2 things I will say.
1. On Monday change the word " probably" to " definitely "
2. Undertake an exercise regime first and monitor results over a set period of time. Changing diet and starting training may prove a big challenge and it could be difficult to assess the impact each process is having on your body. Basically one thing at a time.
Good luck. Whatever you do .

Reactions: Juicyj

speedking668

@speedking668 . 2 things I will say.
1. On Monday change the word " probably" to " definitely "
2. Undertake an exercise regime first and monitor results over a set period of time. Changing diet and starting training may prove a big challenge and it could be difficult to assess the impact each process is having on your body. Basically one thing at a time.
Good luck. Whatever you do .

Hi thanks, yes i will be doing the training regardless, I have been able to stick to routines and can easily maintain any diet as I have been through many body transformations in the past, Id say its been the last 5 years or so that i have been slipping and becoming lazy.

I think what i will do for now then is start the training, keep sub 130g carbs and see how it goes for a week or 2.

If i see no difference i will then reduce further until i hit a spot where its under control.

I was also thinking of having a Kale shake every morning.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@speedking668 . Hey sounds like you've got a good plan. Can't comment on the kale shake, I guess you'll have to see how it works. Sounds better than Cornflakes.:)

Cazbob

Hello

I wasting around 160-180g per day of carbs, no exercise, hardly any movement spending most of my day ie 12 hours behind a computer screen.

My fasting sugars vary anywhere between 5.8-7 but on average id say most readings are around 6.2 this is based over the last 2 weeks .

From monday I will be starting a compound / resistance training regime , will probably be doing this 3-5 times a week.

My main question is in regards to diet, I was thinking of going on a keto diet all out and dropping my carbs to 50g or less per day.

Or

Since im no adding training and activity do you think I will be able to get away with 100-130g cars per day?

Should i perhaps start off with that range of 100-130, monitor it for 1-2 weeks and if there is no improvement then perhaps lower my carbs to sub 100 and so on ?

Thank you in advance
Hello

I wasting around 160-180g per day of carbs, no exercise, hardly any movement spending most of my day ie 12 hours behind a computer screen.

My fasting sugars vary anywhere between 5.8-7 but on average id say most readings are around 6.2 this is based over the last 2 weeks .

Or

Since im no adding training and activity do you think I will be able to get away with 100-130g cars per day?

Should i perhaps start off with that range of 100-130, monitor it for 1-2 weeks and if there is no improvement then perhaps lower my carbs to sub 100 and so on ?

Thank you in advance

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations on an excellent resolution. Regular resistance training can certainly transform your body and your life, as I expect you already know. A gym friend of mine started weight training at nearly 60 years old because he had been recently diagnosed diabetic T2 and his doctor told him he would soon be on insulin injections. That terrified him. Since then he has built himself a superb body and also amazed his doctor with his good A1c test results (and avoided insulin!) Best wishes for a similar future!

BTW 5 days a week might be a bit much, unless you are planning a split body routine, or perhaps cardio on some days, weights on others.

speedking668

Great stuff Alex, well done to him.

Yeah ill be doing a split routine, infact i was doing a Push Pull one day off routine when i was in shape a good few years ago, i may start taking it seriously again :)

IM hoping to avoid T2 completely

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect that your carbs might be a little high even with the exercise - though doing some fine tuning and cutting down the usual suspects of high sugar and dense starch foods might be helpful, week by week

speedking668

Yeah ill record the progress i think 2 weeks should be enough to monitor the progress.

If there is no chance ill reduce it to sub 100 and then accordingly.

The carb intake i listed is literally from cod fish from tescos and weetabix in the morning along with 75g of peanut butter

jwongcsp

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who are not willing to give up sugar, starches, fizzy drinks, and processed carbohydrates.
Why Monday? Start today. My exercise regime has worked for me for many years. It is one day cardio (brisk walk, swim, bike ride, etc...) Next day weight training. Next day cardio. Repeat.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
If you can get the carbs under 100g a day, then that is a fair starting point. Lots of trial and error to get through. weight training is great and fun. I hope you enjoy it, the key to maintaining an exercise regime is do what you enjoy doing. Good luck.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah ill record the progress i think 2 weeks should be enough to monitor the progress.
If there is no chance ill reduce it to sub 100 and then accordingly.
The carb intake i listed is literally from cod fish from tescos and weetabix in the morning along with 75g of peanut butter

Oh - I would really not advise that at all.
Having all your carbs from weetabix and processed peanuts really doesn't seem like a good idea. On my shopping lists I have tomatoes sweet peppers courgettes cucumber, aubergines, onions. leeks, mixed green salad, celeriac, celery, mushrooms cauliflower, carrots, beetroot, radishes, plums, frozen mixed berry and cherries - as many different colours and types as possible, full of vitamins and minerals - with any luck. I have several different types of fish and shell fish in the freezer, along with beef, pork and lamb, chicken, and lidl protein rolls. It is a big freezer. In the fridges I have cheeses and eggs, bacon, ham, corned beef and cooked chicken, coleslaw cream, mayonnaise, salad dressings and lots of other bits and pieces.
It means that my food is never boring, there is always something to eat.

speedking668

That;s amazing!! im a bit lazy and can not cook or be experimental so i will literally stick to the same food every day...

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do be sure to take a vitamin and mineral tablet several times a week then - your diet is very lacking in all sorts of nutrients.
Honestly - though - the things I eat take very little preparation - many can be eaten raw our straight from the packet and I have a few toys such as the halogen oven and the Tefal actifry which can be set to turn off after the cooking time has elapsed, and let you know it is done.

speedking668

Do be sure to take a vitamin and mineral tablet several times a week then - your diet is very lacking in all sorts of nutrients.
Honestly - though - the things I eat take very little preparation - many can be eaten raw our straight from the packet and I have a few toys such as the halogen oven and the Tefal actifry which can be set to turn off after the cooking time has elapsed, and let you know it is done.

I will take vitamin D every day , possibly B , but im sure the kale will make up for the rest, if however the sugar level drops then i will be adding blueberries in to the blend

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Blueberries are the highest sugar of the berries, you can eat twice as much if you have strawberries, but do add cream to slow the impact.