Blood Sugar not coming down-

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
How much carb one should take in my case ? I thought 100 Carbs per day is ok..

Thanks,
Sami
You had nearly 100 carbs just with your evening meal. I’d say your subway on its own would be near 50. The fruit you are eating as a snack would greatly impact on your sugars also and I would stop that immediately. Try and avoid carbs first thing in the morning also. Try an omelette or some bacon and eggs instead.

Again as Bluetit1802 said watch your levels once you make the changes needed to your carb intake as you will find your levels will be quite a lot tighter and your insulin may well need adjusting to a smaller dose.

You’ve done the right thing posting in here. Make sure you ask any questions you have, we are all here to help.

Good luck with everything. All the best :)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
You had nearly 100 carbs just with your evening meal. I’d say your subway on its own would be near 50. The fruit you are eating as a snack would greatly impact on your sugars also and I would stop that immediately. Try and avoid carbs first thing in the morning also. Try an omelette or some bacon and eggs instead.

Again as Bluetit1802 said watch your levels once you make the changes needed to your carb intake as you will find your levels will be quite a lot tighter and your insulin may well need adjusting to a smaller dose.

You’ve done the right thing posting in here. Make sure you ask any questions you have, we are all here to help.

Good luck with everything. All the best :)
Can I ask why avoid carbs in the morning?

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @SueJB because our systems are all waking up and our body likes to switch off our on board insulin and secrete glucose into the blood to help us rise. If like me and your dawn phenomena is potent it’s advised to avoid carbs. That’s why dr Bernstein’s advises no more than 6g at breakfast. I avoid all together unless having my seed, nut and alpro mix then I have about 5g. Omelette or bacon and eggs for me.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

This applies to T2s more than T1s. When we have insulin resistance and our natural insulin is prevented from clearing the dumped glucose from our blood stream, blood glucose levels will rise. It is therefore not very sensible to increase the rising glucose levels. Hence no carbs (or very few). I discovered I cannot eat carbs (especially fruit) at breakfast a long time ago when I first used a Libre sensor and saw what was happening in between finger prick tests.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
This applies to T2s more than T1s. When we have insulin resistance and our natural insulin is prevented from clearing the dumped glucose from our blood stream, blood glucose levels will rise. It is therefore not very sensible to increase the rising glucose levels. Hence no carbs (or very few). I discovered I cannot eat carbs (especially fruit) at breakfast a long time ago when I first used a Libre sensor and saw what was happening in between finger prick tests.
Thanks, that's really interesting. I wonder if it would work for me. I think I'm going to give it a go. I'd love some fruit. Being T1, it's something I really miss

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi @SueJB because our systems are all waking up and our body likes to switch off our on board insulin and secrete glucose into the blood to help us rise. If like me and your dawn phenomena is potent it’s advised to avoid carbs. That’s why dr Bernstein’s advises no more than 6g at breakfast. I avoid all together unless having my seed, nut and alpro mix then I have about 5g. Omelette or bacon and eggs for me.
That's really useful, I do a dawn dump and I usually have 7g carbs. I'm going to have an egg but to be honest, I don't like brekkie

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's really useful, I do a dawn dump and I usually have 7g carbs. I'm going to have an egg but to be honest, I don't like brekkie

If you don't like brekkie, why have any? It isn't compulsory, although as you are on insulin you may have to do some tweaks to your doses. I haven't eaten breakfasts for just over a year and have seen better BG control. I do have a coffee with double cream as soon as I get up, and a cup of tea with a dash of milk mid morning, but nothing else till lunch time.

Reactions: Olufisayo

Sami007379

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, Good After noon every one.

I hope every one is healthy and happy.

Thank you every one for the advice and recommendation. I appreciate every one, helping me, from bottom of my heart.

So, i have limited my Carbs by dropping bread/rice or any thing starchy..

Seems like my BG is going down.. Been two days haven't hit 200 mark. So that is a good sign. This morning BG, fasting was 160.

So, Here is my 2 days update..

Start the day, check the BG.

BG at 9:00 AM : 160-170. :( This is still high. need to get it down....

9:30 AM Breakfast: 1 brown bread slice with peanut butter and 1 boiled egg minus yolk. 12 Grams Carbs in the bread slice.

12:30 PM Lunch: Fresh Salad with chicken cubes in the afternoon. No dressing. Just plain salad. 20 Carbs.. Salad contains ( lettuce + baby tomatoes + sliced carrots + 7-10 chicken cubes- (grilled/fried)

4:00 snack: 1/2 apple + 1/2 guava. 10 Grams Carbs..

BG at 6:00 103-125

8:00: Dinner: 1.5 Chapati. Contains 15 grams carbs + veggie curry ( 15 Grams Carbs ). I know Chapati is raising my BG. Will cut it down eventually....

After Dinner Sugar level 175-200

Then at 10:00 PM i go to gym- walk/run/jog 7000 steps. Sugar is back to 100-125

I am still waiting for my appointment which is next Thursday.

I have few questions. Why morning BG is high. I don't eat any thing after 10:00 PM. Any specific reason ? Also do any one know what is alkaline phosphatase. I was just going through my blood report. That number was also in High Zone 132.. Not sure what that means..

Reactions: kokhongw

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
9:30 AM Breakfast: 1 brown bread slice with peanut butter and 1 boiled egg minus yolk. 12 Grams Carbs in the bread slice.

Just out of curiosity.. why didn't you eat the yolk ?

Reactions: Sami007379

Sami007379

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Just out of curiosity.. why didn't you eat the yolk ?
Some one told me Yolk will increase the cholesterol. So i usually don't eat egg yolk.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some one told me Yolk will increase the cholesterol. So i usually don't eat egg yolk.
I think that is very old info now. Egg yolks are fine. Our bodies produce more cholesterol than the effects from food. Mine has lowered on the LCHF diet and I eat lots of eggs

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Sami007379 Good to see that you are getting a grip of your glucose level.

Don't worry too much about the morning glucose rise at this point in time. It is a natural occurrence. For now focus on how your usual food affects you. Then replace those that spikes. Use your glucose meter as your food guide.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You should not believe everything you are told - there are so many stories about eggs, cholesterol and fats in general - all made up, from what I can find - no basis in fact.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
yes eat the egg its not harmful. 80% of cholesterol is made in the body. your salad i would add extra stuff into it ie peppers cucumber abit of onion or anything else you fancy the more low carb salad stuff the better. re your curry have you tried cauliflower rice. i would consider a multi vitamin just in case your short of any. now if you turn out to be type 1 you will more reliant on the insulin to keep your bg down and as such you wont need to be as well controlled via diet. but it still help reduce the amount of insulin you need to use.

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello, thank goodness you put NICE recommended, as that is only what it means............did you know that the cut off figures are all ARBITRARY set, THAT MEANS At whim, choice and not supported by clinical or medical evidence to show the reason of the specified cut off, that's why they all say recommended, as no one really knows what the levels should be to base ones sugars testing..........that's the appalling side of diabetic business world.

So everyone frantically testing their fingers, hourly, before after eating, daily, how many times, seems crazy testing against what cut off numbers that are only arbitrary is ridiculous.

yes, there has to be a cut off, but as they are arbitrary set, by a so called committee saying, we lower the numbers, it will capture the disease early not so black and white I am afraid, by doing this, how many normal people become abnormal pre or diabetic, and more worrying over prescribed with medicines unnecessarily is the doubt question.......and not all size fits all comes into this, if your over 60, there has to be flexi zone no matter figures for example, same with A1C.

The story as to how the comitee set teh values is here
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046782.php

It's very chilling reading.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Sami007379 ,

A belated welcome to the forum from me!

OK? You have been started on what sounds like a long acting "basal" insulin.. Could you give us the trade name name of the insulin please..?

With the greatest respect to the LCers contributing to this thread. (I keep my carb count low myself.)
With the possible introduction to a bolus shot for meals? You will be changing the landscape once again regarding BS control, which could send you in any direction..

Sounds to be like you have managed to lower your BS a little cutting some carbs. That's good news!

However the insulin you currently take is a long acting base liner & not realy intended for dealing with what you eat.
Have you looked at basal testing? With the help of your health care professionals of course!
I just have a feeling you may encounter swinging BS once you are prescribed meal shots like Actrapid? which you will need if your diagnosis is confirmed as T1. Or even T2 on MDI? Then BS control might feel even more like nailing jelly to a wall without learning to carb count & knowing your insulin to carb ratio...

This is where an insulin dependant usually starts setting it up..
Here is a link to basal testing. https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

AFM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sami,

Since you were diagnosed a week ago it will take a little time for the readings to come down and your body to adjust to new diet. Initially it is best to keep away from most fruits especially bananas, oranges, grapes .They are very high in sugar. If you must have some fruit try some blueberries or other berries with a small cup of yogurt. Avacados also are filling and healthy. Increasing your protein content and reducing carb will keep your hunger levels in check. Boiled channa, lobia, peas are some ideas. Greens like methi , spinach and any other greens must be part of your diet everyday. Lentils are good too.I am a vegetarian ,so have given veg ideas. All the best!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My God I don't know how I am going to survive, I love Bananas and grapes

You may survive a lot longer without them! ;) Try berries instead (strawberries, raspberries) especially with plain yogurts or cream.

Ooops sorry ... just noticed you are on insulin.