Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @KittyCatMew ,

What are you like with lactose? Milk was an "old skool" hypo treatment from back in the day..

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm eating grapes also.
Well. I'm not sure what to think of a diet that consists solely of chicken filets and grapes, but the good news is that you can tolerate grapes and thus fruit sugars. I use grapes to treat a mild hypo if I have them in the house, and they work just fine for me. You could try fruit juice as well, works even faster. Good luck!

KittyCatMew

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @KittyCatMew ,

What are you like with lactose? Milk was an "old skool" hypo treatment from back in the day..

I did a test a few months back. I was using milk for breakfast and cups of tea and i decided to cut all milk out. After 2 weeks i had 1 glass of milk and it hit me like a truck. Symptoms were even worse then before i stopped having it. And i really loved milk :(

KittyCatMew

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well. I'm not sure what to think of a diet that consists solely of chicken filets and grapes, but the good news is that you can tolerate grapes and thus fruit sugars. I use grapes to treat a mild hypo if I have them in the house, and they work just fine for me. You could try fruit juice as well, works even faster. Good luck!

It's ok. I am doing my very own exclusionary diet so i am introducing new foods to see what i can tolerate. It is not a permanent diet yet. I can tolerate modest amounts of grapes (max 10) so its not a good solution for a hypo unfortunately.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's ok. I am doing my very own exclusionary diet so i am introducing new foods to see what i can tolerate. It is not a permanent diet yet. I can tolerate modest amounts of grapes (max 10) so its not a good solution for a hypo unfortunately.
Aw, that's too bad.

KittyCatMew

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@KittyCatMew - Did you have a raft of tests to confirm your issue is indeed sugar, or was it your exclusion exercise that took you to that conclusion?

What does your Doc suggest in terms of the enzymes you are deficient in?

Well i do not know if i will get tests as i made this observation through my exclusionary diet yesterday and haven't been to the doc yet. Trying to get an appointment asap to discuss with doc. The deficient in certain enzymes comment was just something i read on a website when i googled it last night so not confirmed by a test nor a doctor hence my use of apparently. I am sorry for the confusion.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi Fairygodmother, I think the typo/autocorrect fairy has been at work. All carbohydrates do not become glucagon. What did you mean?

Daft moment I’m afraid, for once auto correct wasn’t to blame - it was me spreading fake news. Unintentional but nevertheless fake. Time to get the orange toupe out of the attic!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Daft moment I’m afraid, for once auto correct wasn’t to blame - it was me spreading fake news. Unintentional but nevertheless fake. Time to get the orange toupe out of the attic!

Should, I think, have read glucose

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can you take orange juice? That's what I use for hypos when at home.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Table sugar is a half glucose, half fructose : so experiment to see whether it's the fructose or the glucose that's a problem? Also, if you can manage ten grapes that's not too bad for a mild hypo, about 10g of fructose? But I guess if you go on a very low carb diet your insulin needs will reduce and you'll have less hypos...

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
glucogel-dextrose-gel-40-25g-pack-of-3-5745243726fc1.jpg
Available on prescription,
Hahahahaha! If I got these on prescription, I would break the (already crippled) NHS!

At the moment, I'm usually having at least one hypo every day. I'm a little bit wary of cutting out carbs altogether myself. I'm currently thinking I might reduce carbs significantly in my diet overall, and only use high-GI stuff for hypos.

Sorry, that's not much help to you, @KittyCatMew

I remember reading that maltodextrin is used by athletes in endurance sports because although it's high-GI, it's a complex carbohydrate. It's available as powder online, and you can weigh it out into your own (sugar-free) drinks. Might be worth a try? Otherwise, as others have said, tightening up your glucose control is the next obvious step, to avoid hypos as much as possible. That's my plan, anyway.

Good luck.

J E T 1 9 7 6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Most diabetics are told not to have sugar added to any foods! If you do go hypo often look at talking to your dr to see if you can reduce your insulin buy a couple of units ,& to attack a hypo get a box of glucose powder from your chemist and add two teaspoons to a glass of milk ,as the glucose sticks to the fat cells in the milk to bring you up at a steady pace without sending your sugars high

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I vote reduce insulin as well, if approved by your team. We want to use insulin to cover our food. We don’t want to feed insulin.

Reactions: Colin of Kent

solu1956

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Fructose is the part of sugar that the body cannot recognise as food, so instead it gets stored in the liver, which then forces your liver to increase in size. Try using Stevia instead. Takes a while to get used to the taste, but does you no harm.

solu1956

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Fructose is the part of sugar that the body cannot recognise as food, so instead it gets stored in the liver, which then forces your liver to increase in size. Try using Stevia instead. Takes a while to get used to the taste, but does you no harm.
Using fruit for your sweet treats is fine, because it is natural sweetness, plus you get many different kinds of vitamins and good polyphenols .this kind of sugar will do you no harm.
Can you have fructose or whatever other sugar types there are? I mean is it just glucose that you don't eat?

Well i do not know if i will get tests as i made this observation through my exclusionary diet yesterday and haven't been to the doc yet. Trying to get an appointment asap to discuss with doc. The deficient in certain enzymes comment was just something i read on a website when i googled it last night so not confirmed by a test nor a doctor hence my use of apparently. I am sorry for the confusion.