Request for expired/out of warranty Dexcom G4 & G5 transmitters

Jemzor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Inspired by some online videos of T1D's who are determined not to let cost be the limiting factor behind their BG management, I am putting a request to the community for any Dexcom CGM users who may be willing to donate their expired/out of warranty transmitters rather than binning them.

You may be wondering what I would do with expired transmitters? Well being an engineer, I would like to attempt to DIY replace the batteries within the transmitters to essentially re-use them again. Like several users, I currently fund my CGM privately and am trying to find a way to make the treatment more affordable.

The intention is not for any users to be out of pocket and so any costs in connection with p&p will obviously be reimbursed.

If you do have any spare transmitters which you are intending to dispose of, do please PM me.

Thank you :)

This request has been pre-approved by the board of Administrators and Moderators.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Mod and Admin Teams are aware of this thread, but just to be clear, this isn't a DCUK sponsored piece of work.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Jemzor - the issue you'll have with this is that there are already a fair number of people offering to replace batteries in used G5 transmitters and get them back to the user for a very small fee/a couple of drinks. As a result, there's a fair bit of reuse already going on.

In addition, there are a number of schemes where used G5 transmitters are being passed forward to people with a high level of need and no way of paying (think kids in Eastern Europe). As a result, there's not much of a trade in used G5s. You're likely to be better working on one you've paid for yourself.

Reactions: donnellysdogs