Freestyle Libre / Dexcom G5 / other?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am 18 years old and I’m currently struggling with monitoring my levels.

I get the slightest cold or cough and my blood sugar levels go mental. My immune system is pretty low too which doesn’t help.

I heard about the freestyle libra and also the dexcom g5 and I know want to try them out to see if they can help me! But Im really unsure on how they work. I have looked on the internet and red numerous articles but I think the best advice from people who have tested and used these monitors.

I’m kinda worried about the way it looks because of going on holidays and wearing bikinis. I know that I shouldn’t be as I’m type 1 diabetic and I need to accept that if it’s going to help I shouldn’t care how it looks but I lack in self confidence and I’m conscious about having something like that attached to me (also a reason why I’m not keen on the idea of having and insulin pump!).

I want to ask what is the best monitor and is there any others available that are possibly smaller than the dexcom and freestyle? Also where is the best place to put it where it’s most hidden?

How do they work with water as I swim a lot would this effect how well that it stays on?

lizzie29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m currently using the freestyle and it got me into the green for my HBa1c for the first time in 5 years and I’ve only had it for a couple of months. So I’d definitely say it’s worth it.

I was really paranoid when I first got it but often forget it’s there now. As it’s meant to sit on the back of your upper arm. I usually just put it on the inside of my arm if I’m going anywhere I’ll be having photos taken or anything and haven’t had any issue with it.

It’s also waterproof and it’s hard to take off when you’re trying to so don’t think it would ever be an issue coming off in the water.