Do you think diabetes is worse with poverty

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
the high rate is because of being able to afford to eat too much high carb food. People are eating high carb food because they know no better, as in Kuwait, where a massive education programme is happening.

One side of this thread is about poverty stopping people being able to afford healthy low carb food sufficient for their nutritional needs, and able to afford test strips etc, as in the UK it can be very hard to get testing equipment on the NHS. Its about someones ability to afford to treat their condition through dietary means and avoid complications.
My position is that its not Poverty (By Poverty here I mean limited purchasing power) I believe its more a matter of the persons mind set. A mind set that is curious, and open to seek out information and empower oneself. is not so common amongst the poor. So even if a person has loads of purchasing power, but does not have that mind set, they will be unable to seek and use the resources with which to influence their outcome for the better

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
How then do we explain the high rate of diabetes in Kuwait. Not just the high rate rather the extremely high rate of complications like amputations etc. Ditto Qatar
http://news.kuwaittimes.net/website/kuwait-suffers-high-diabetes-prevalence/

Some of the cofactors are that being Islamic countries the people tend not to drink alcohol and because the water quality is questionable in some areas and the climatic conditions has seen the rise in consumption of sugary beverages soaring. I do not know if their pop contains HFCS as it does in N.America but if it does this would also affect rates of T2.

Reactions: HICHAM_T2

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My position is that its not Poverty (By Poverty here I mean limited purchasing power) I believe its more a matter of the persons mind set. A mind set that is curious, and open to seek out information and empower oneself. is not so common amongst the poor. So even if a person has loads of purchasing power, but does not have that mind set, they will be unable to seek and use the resources with which to influence their outcome for the better

forum guidelines do not permit me to comment on the part I have bolded in your post as I would like to. I will confine myself to saying you are misinformed.

Also having choices are a thing. You do accept, I hope, that having the choice to eat healthily by having enough money and access to healthy food is something denied to those in poverty. Which is not the same as having enough money and access but deciding not to exercise your choice?

Choices - they matter and are crucial to this discussion, which is focussing in people in poverty who have their choices taken away from them.

Reactions: Prem51

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Some of the cofactors are that being Islamic countries the people tend not to drink alcohol and because the water quality is questionable in some areas and the climatic conditions has seen the rise in consumption of sugary beverages soaring. I do not know if their pop contains HFCS as it does in N.America but if it does this would also affect rates of T2.
Ignorance of nutrition is the main reason
For this I do not call for increased hospitals but to teach health awareness in schools

In the Third World ( planet)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Ignorance of nutrition is the main reason
For this I do not call for increased hospitals but to teach health awareness in schools

In the Third World ( planet)

Absolutely agree.

I know one particular lady who went to weightwatchers and she didnt have any cooking utensils at all. Neighbours that only ate takeaways and cereal for breakfast with crisps or chocolate.

The parents were educated without any "home econmics" or "cookery lessons"... they werent in poverty though, far from it.

They just missed out on nutritional education at school (and home)...

Reactions: HICHAM_T2

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am curious what will people do if the current government repeals the affordable care act?
They won't repeal everything about it. The big things were:1: You can't refuse someone with a preexisting condition from buying private insurance if their employer doesn't provide it. That was big and won't change. You can keep your kids on your policy until they're 26. Insurance companies agreed to that before Obamacare. 2: People get a gubment subsidy if they make less than XXX if they buy in the marketplace. 3: You pay a tax/penalty to the gubment if you don't have health insurance. That does up every year. 4: Insurance policies must include a whole bunch of stuff no matter if you want it or not. Like coverage for pregnancy even if you're 60. Mental health stuff. Birth control. Government regulation stuff. So Trump already got rid of the tax/penalty. That never worked. The idea was to force healthy people to buy insurance at higher prices to offset the sick people who bought it. They didn't buy it so the sick people's insurance went way up, and so did the healthy persons bill. So they didn't buy it. They paid the penalty which is way cheaper. Or just didn't pay the penalty because they didn't get a tax refund to take it from. There was no penalty for not paying the penalty lol. Trump want to open the insurance markets across state lines. Currently there are many counties where you have ONE CHOICE of insurance in their marketplace. A few have NO CHOICES. It's a case of The Gubment trying to "make the insurance market". It didn't work. Trump's modifications would probably help quite a bit. Let people buy the kind of insurance they want to buy. If they are healthy and want a $5000 deductible for emergencies for a low premium OK. I had a $20,000 deductible policy when I couldn't buy regular insurance and it saved me probably $200,000 while I had it for many years. I paid $1,500/year. Now I'd HAVE to pay about $10,000/year with an $8,000 deductible in the marketplace. Great deal right?

Last edited:

maldini

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
2 faced people
ime doing really good on the low carbs,and also workouts at the gym ,and i check my blood after the workouts and its never higher than 6.0 and lower than 4.8,and my fasting levels are down from 10-11- to around 6.8 or 7.8 ,and ive thrown all the bad stuff into the bin to take the pressure off when my sweet tooth and savoury tooth comes calling.upwards and onwards.

marvinlzinn1

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Most people do not know or think about what is healthy to eat, not even looking at the ingredients, but addicted by flavor.
Personally several years I could not afford more than one dollar per meal (not including what I raise in my garden. But I know cheap food would cause more medical cost. I just ate mostly beans and rice, avoiding all deserts worse than useless.

Reactions: Prem51

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I think poor patients are worse off than the rich

I do not mean to offend the rich

But if you can buy the latest technology and eat the most beautiful food, this will of course be better

Reactions: donnellysdogs

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Anything and everything is worse with poverty. They might not even be able to buy the treatment they need or they’ll have to use it very sparingly in attempt to make it last until they can scrounge up enough to buy more.
Is poverty unavoidable or do we make it? Like diabetes ?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is poverty unavoidable or do we make it? Like diabetes ?
I do not believe that we make either poverty or diabetes ourselves.

I could not have worked longer or harder than I have, and I have ended up on benefits, in poverty. And I firmly believe my insulin resistance, leading to type 2 diabetes, was caused by drug interaction and the wrong dietary advice from the NHS.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I do not believe that we make either poverty or diabetes ourselves.

I could not have worked longer or harder than I have, and I have ended up on benefits, in poverty. And I firmly believe my insulin resistance, leading to type 2 diabetes, was caused by drug interaction and the wrong dietary advice from the NHS.
I think the countries of Europe are giving some money to the temporarily unemployed

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
and? that doesnt make my poverty or diabetes something i made myself. It is a pittance and something I paid my taxes towards for 40 years of working, not a gift.
Yes I agree with you completely
But compared to third planet(world) countries it is quite different
You prefer to die on your bed at home much better than going to a government hospital

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I think poor patients are worse off than the rich

I do not mean to offend the rich

But if you can buy the latest technology and eat the most beautiful food, this will of course be better
I know so.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I think the countries of Europe are giving some money to the temporarily unemployed
Yes those in Africa rely on their relatives and their support network.
But gov.uk can be absent of a reliable support network. They let you down when things cannot get any worse!
I think some good supported Africans in poverty have reliability. As without it they are dead.
We have unreliable on/off support.
Only allowed this. . If that etc...
Everyone needs regular payments/support.
We used to sent thousands of pounds a month to Africa. Every month. We knew it was needed for education, food, clothes.
I had regular new clothes but my old clothes were sent and altered to fit. Even my wedding dress!

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Yes those in Africa rely on their relatives and their support network.
But gov.uk can be absent of a reliable support network. They let you down when things cannot get any worse!
I think some good supported Africans in poverty have reliability. As without it they are dead.
We have unreliable on/off support.
Only allowed this. . If that etc...
Everyone needs regular payments/support.
We used to sent thousands of pounds a month to Africa. Every month. We knew it was needed for education, food, clothes.
I had regular new clothes but my old clothes were sent and altered to fit. Even my wedding dress!
Yes, some African countries are poor and very poor and need support

Reactions: dbr10
D

Deleted member 308541

Yes, some African countries are poor and very poor and need support
Strange you say that, the leaders of most African countries look fat and prosperous.

I bet they are siphoning off most of the support money into their secret bank accounts in the Caymans...