Low carb Protein Bars

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you after low carbs in numbers, or low impact to blood glucose?
I find that they don’t always coincide.

As an example, i dismissed Peanut 9Bars to start with because they have about 16g carbs per 50g bar.
That seemed a lot.
But then I tried one (well, several actually, because i had to test them thoroughly ;) ) and I found that they have virtually no blood glucose impact. It seems that the nuts and seeds in them slow the digestion. Or the fats in the nuts. Or something.

Whatever the reason, a 50g bar raises my bg by less than 1mmol/l for less than an hour.
So I disregard the carb content number, and go by the carb effect, instead.

I suppose I am suggesting that you try each bar to find one that works for you, rather than only going for ones below a fixed carb number.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Brunneria thanks for the information. I will try the 9bars, which I may have rejected. I have a selection at present so will test the effect on my bs as I try them.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria thanks for the information. I will try the 9bars, which I may have rejected. I have a selection at present so will test the effect on my bs as I try them.

There are several different flavours. I found the peanut ones were best, and the ones with dried fruit gave me significantly higher readings.
So in the end i just ate the peanut ones.

Mind you, i hardly eat them at all nowadays.

Oh, just remembered - i recently found that ‘kind’ bars don’t cause me spikes either.

Reactions: Dabe

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It seems that some "natural" carbs that are still attached to fibre (and or fat) have lower effects on BG when we would expect.....

Reactions: Jemz

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aldi Dark Chocolate flavour coated nut and Sea Salt Bar -5.9g carb per bar. They do the job when nothing else will do!

Hi Dr Snoddy. I don't think I've ever seen these in Aldi but would like to try some. Are they usually in the chocolate and sweet section or the biscuit section?

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
www.adonis-foods.com I bought myself a few of their two types of bars for Christmas and they were nice to have when everyone was scoffing mince pies. You can buy them on Amazon too.
They look amazing! I think my problem will be trying not to scoff the packet of 5 in a week. They could become an expensive habit!

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well My order of Adonis bars, blondies and brownies have arrived and over the past few days Ive had the opportunity to sample and test most varieties, purely in the name of science you understand!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_6?url=search-alias=grocery&field-keywords=adonis&sprefix=Adonis,grocery,149&crid=2YRT3RF0GVXYU
Ive tried the pecan bars, blondies and brownies and can report that all 3 are winners in my book i.e
- nice taste, not horrendously sweet, but sweet enough
- none produced a rise in blood sugar over 1 mmol, most saw no rise or a drop at 2hrs
Down sides
- not cheap for aure
- the blondies and brownies come with only1 -2 week shelf life which the producer tells me is being worked on in tems of packaging options. Ve also been assured that they freeze well. I found the producer v responsive to any queries / problems

Will I be ordering again despite the cost? - You bet
Many thanks to @Sue192 for originally posting the info

Last edited:
Reactions: Ultramum and Jo123

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well My order of Adonis bars, blondies and brownies have arrived and over the past few days Ive had the opportunity to sample and test most varieties, purely in the name of science you understand!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_6?url=search-alias=grocery&field-keywords=adonis&sprefix=Adonis,grocery,149&crid=2YRT3RF0GVXYU
Ive tried the pecan bars, blondies and brownies and can report that all 3 are winners in my book i.e
- none produced a rise in blood sugar over 1 mmol, most saw no rise or a drop at 2hrs
Down sides
- not cheap for aure
- the blondies and brownies come with only1 -2 week shelf life which the producer tells me is being worked on in tems of packaging options. Ve also been assured that they freeze well. I found the producer v responsive to any queries / problems

You're welcome, @Boo1979. I'm glad to hear they don't cause problems with your bg. After your rigorous scientific testing ;) I am ordering a box of the mixed brownies for a treat (from the Adonis website). Sticking them in the freezer is a good idea to eke them out, given the price!

Jo123

My husband and mum eat nature Valley protein bars. Just under 10 gms carbs and just under 200 calories per bar. You get them from most supermarkets, they go on offer regularly.

Reactions: Ultramum

letswalk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Someone sent me info about boka bars & interesting as they are all green on the GDA label. Cant actually vouch for them as not tried but may be interesting to research.
www.bokafood.co.uk

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Someone sent me info about boka bars & interesting as they are all green on the GDA label. Cant actually vouch for them as not tried but may be interesting to research.
www.bokafood.co.uk

Hi this is a great example of why the GDA traffic lights are not so low carb diabetic friendly. These 30g bars are about 17-18g of carbs so at the higher end of what has been discussed in this thread.

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can vouch for the Aldi bars. They taste lovely - remind me of a snickers bar. Just the ticket for a Sat night treat in front of the telly when everyone else in the family is chowing down on their chocolate treats!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Down sides
- not cheap for aure

Boo, I agree wholeheartedly. I ordered some on the strength of this thread and they are delicious, soft and moist and very tasty. There were 7 carbs in the chocolate brownie, my reading was 4.5 before and 90 minutes later 4.4. They are fab for a long day at work when you are between meals but you know you need a boost. I can imagine they are great to eat when someone is handing out office cakes as well, in fact regardless of the low carbs and 'healthy' ingredients, they taste SO much nicer than any shop bought cake. (No insulin taken btw).

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
Aldi Dark Chocolate flavour coated nut and Sea Salt Bar -5.9g carb per bar. They do the job when nothing else will do!
I use these bars they are delicious sometimes have one as a lunch.

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My husband and mum eat nature Valley protein bars. Just under 10 gms carbs and just under 200 calories per bar. You get them from most supermarkets, they go on offer regularly.
Tested the Nature Valley Protein Salted Caramel Nut bar (40g) for lunch last Friday ... 6.1 at noon and 6.1 at 2pm ...

Reactions: Brunneria

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
I have Aldi bars for breakfast.

Reactions: mo53

David Gorman

There are some great choices these days, with the popularity of the keto diet and no added sugar foods, but yeah you have to be careful.

Total carbs vs net carbs can always be confusing which I what I tend to look at because you can then decipher how much sugar is there.

I find it useful to use amazon or sites like carbfreezone.com and just look through all what they have to offer and find ones that are appropriate.