new medication

lanzlady

Hi,

is there anyone out there on a new med called Dapagliflozin if so have you achieved good results
for your HbA1c it is new since last November 2012 ?

Thanks in advance
lanzlady

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I am not taking it and nor would I want to. I pee enough with the antihypertensives I take, so to pee even more with an increased regularity would be a step (to the loo) too far.

Darleen_mc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have been on this med for a year. My bs are always high. Don't think it's doing me any good

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Have been on this med for a year. My bs are always high. Don't think it's doing me any good
The main way to get BS down is to change what you are eating (unless you are a T1 diabetic and need insulin for this). Medications help but they can't relied on to do most or all of it.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi,

is there anyone out there on a new med called Dapagliflozin if so have you achieved good results
for your HbA1c it is new since last November 2012 ?

Thanks in advance
lanzlady
I hope you don't mind asking but how did you get on with this medication?
I've been put on canagliflozin yesterday which is very similar in the way it helps reduce BG etc.
I hope you don't mind me asking.

Virtuoso12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was put on this 3 months ago. It doesn’t make you pee any more but it does make you pee out sugar. About 300 calories worth a day. I’ve lost 9lbs in a fortnight and kept it off for 3 months now.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thanks @Virtuoso12 but canagliflozin didn't work put for me. I sufferered horrendous thrush and wasn't convinced my whole body's BG was as the meter levels suggested. I felt close to dka even thou my bgs were in the 8s.
My endocrologist agreed for me to stop it to get rid of the months of thrush. I was then put on insulin MDI treatment.

Virtuoso12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It doesn’t work for everyone but I’m on dapaglaflozin not canagliflozin. Drinking enough water 9 times out of 10 will stop the thrush

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It doesn’t work for everyone but I’m on dapaglaflozin not canagliflozin. Drinking enough water 9 times out of 10 will stop the thrush
I did 2lr bottles per day and hot drinks on top. I had a thrush sensitivity since childhood.
I'd just got rid of 2 and a half yrs of stubborn thrush so I guess that could had made a difference?
I'm delighted it works for you or anyone. It is very common drug for type2 now. You aren't alone.

maisiepug

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
idiots who think they know everything but they really know nothing
I have just started Sitagliptin 100mgs today because I need to get myself sorted, lots of things been happening so with depression, massive weight gain and eating rubbish GP wanted to get my sugars under control quickly so that we can then get back to non medication if possible. Has anyone had any experience of this drug, the side effects mentioned look really bad but I guess they don't effect everyone the same.
Thanks

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Sitagliptin doesn't use the kidneys like canagliflozin or others. I didnt have any side affects with sitagliptin. Definitely not thrush. I don't think thrush is a side affect from sitagliptin? Your leaflet would say.