Sleepy after lunch

Perfumeflower53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I made an omelette for lunch today following one of the low carb recipes from diet doctor. The omelette was cooked in a little bit of butter and included mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach and a light sprinkling of grated cheese. It was lovely. I followed the recipe with the correct amounts. However, after about an hour and a half I felt really sleepy and I was in the middle of a conversation with my daughter and she could see I was just about to drop.

I have recently been newly diagnosed with T2.

Kind Regards
Perfumeflower53

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's how I feel if my blood sugar goes to high - start yawning and my head starts bouncing of my chest.

Are you checking your levels at all?

Reactions: Perfumeflower53

Perfumeflower53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's how I feel if my blood sugar goes to high - start yawning and my head starts bouncing of my chest.

Are you checking your levels at all?

Hi David,

Thankyou for taking the time to reply.

Unfortunately, I’m currently not able to home monitor at the moment as I am waiting for a delivery for some new lancets and test strips for my accucheck mobile.

But I have recently been to see the nurse and my Hb reading was 50.

I just keep wanting to fall asleep all the time, more so after a meal.

I have another appointment with my GP in due course to discuss medications. In the meantime I have decided to try some of the recipes from diet doctor....

Kind Regards
Perfumeflower53

Reactions: david1968

eldergarth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
marmite peanut butter
Hi,

I made an omelette for lunch today following one of the low carb recipes from diet doctor. The omelette was cooked in a little bit of butter and included mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach and a light sprinkling of grated cheese. It was lovely. I followed the recipe with the correct amounts. However, after about an hour and a half I felt really sleepy and I was in the middle of a conversation with my daughter and she could see I was just about to drop.

I have recently been newly diagnosed with T2.

Kind Regards
Perfumeflower53
Have you had your B12 levels checked ? Low levels can cause tiredness and as already been advised a peek in BG's after a meal can also cause tiredness , once you have your test equipment you should get a better idea of what is happening

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That seems like the perfect low carb meal and can't imagine it would cause tiredness in itself. Although it does take the body time to adjust to lower carb eating. What was your carb intake before and what are you aiming for now?

How are you coping in general with the diagnosis, are you sleeping well?

Perfumeflower53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you had your B12 levels checked ? Low levels can cause tiredness and as already been advised a peek in BG's after a meal can also cause tiredness , once you have your test equipment you should get a better idea of what is happening

Hi eldergarth,

Thankyou for your reply.

No I haven’t had my B12 levels checked so I may have that checked too.

However, I do have a multitude of different health conditions. This is where it may get complicated...In 2016 I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and I do initially suffer from extreme fatigue due to this.

So I am extremely exhausted all the time.

Kind Regards
PF53

Perfumeflower53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That seems like the perfect low carb meal and can't imagine it would cause tiredness in itself. Although it does take the body time to adjust to lower carb eating. What was your carb intake before and what are you aiming for now?

How are you coping in general with the diagnosis, are you sleeping well?

Hi Alison,

Thankyou for your reply.

I am shamed to say that my carb intake was really bad. I have 32 sweet teeth and due to some personal issues I also started to comfort eat (I also suffer from depression and GAD- general anxiety disorder) so I ate the wrong types of food all with high carbs.

I know now I have to make some drastic lifestyle changes in regards to eating low carbs and eating a healthy diet. I think my diagnosis was the kick start I needed.

I think I am aiming to also lose a lot of weight that I have piled on over the months and to get my blood pressure and cholesterol levels down as well.

To be honest, I knew this diagnosis was coming round the corner sooner rather than later because I knew I wasn’t looking after myself as much as I should have been.

However, I can add this diagnosis onto my other ones as I mentioned to eldergarth above in 2016 I was also diagnosed with Fibromyalgia which means I also suffer pain in 18 tender points and chronic fatigue.

Incidentally, I haven’t been sleeping well due to the combination of sleep apnoea and the many trips to the loo during the night.

I could most probably write a book all about my conditions lol...

Kind Regards PF53

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Take it steady and be kind to yourself. It’s a huge change you’re making and you are bound to feel differently at times. It’s also a big shock having another health diagnosis even if you did think it was coming. You are not comfort eating which is excellent but no doubt feeling the lack of the comfort. Tiredness could also be a result from anxiety of such a big change. Keep going you’re doing really well but remember it’s one step at a time and things will improve if you make some positive changes step by step. Take care

eldergarth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
marmite peanut butter
Hi eldergarth,

Thankyou for your reply.

No I haven’t had my B12 levels checked so I may have that checked too.

However, I do have a multitude of different health conditions. This is where it may get complicated...In 2016 I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and I do initially suffer from extreme fatigue due to this.

So I am extremely exhausted all the time.

Kind Regards
PF53
Snap I'm in the same boat I'm under investigation for M E and fibromyalgia
May I recommend for your sweet teeth Google sugalite and they sell all your sugar free sweets ect