Type 2 Potatoes

chevy57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all
I have been type 2 for 11 years but have only been taking it seriously for a few months.....I won't bore you with the reasons for this. My diet is now pretty good with low carbs and my BG has greatly improved. I have either cut out or found alternatives for the foods I have cut out of my diet, however I crave potatoes really badly. I can't seem to find something to replace them, I would love to have some mash with a meal but don't want to get back into eating potatoes for fear of not being able to stop! Has anyone got any ideas on a replacement???? Any help or ideas would be very helpful

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi all
I have been type 2 for 11 years but have only been taking it seriously for a few months.....I won't bore you with the reasons for this. My diet is now pretty good with low carbs and my BG has greatly improved. I have either cut out or found alternatives for the foods I have cut out of my diet, however I crave potatoes really badly. I can't seem to find something to replace them, I would love to have some mash with a meal but don't want to get back into eating potatoes for fear of not being able to stop! Has anyone got any ideas on a replacement???? Any help or ideas would be very helpful
Try reheated ones, they don't spike me. ;)

D

Deleted member 308541

Try reheated ones, they don't spike me. ;)
Will have to try that with spud Icki', doing alright with reheated pasta as long as I keep to the right portion size.

I have not tried my experiment with reheated rice yet though.

D

Deleted member 308541

Last edited by a moderator:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cauliflower mash, celeriac chips are common replacements - maybe worth a try.

Also maybe think about roast or fried potatoes - having them with fat may help, and I think @Bluetit1802 said she can manage a small new potato.

Robbity

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Seewalk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I love these recipes ! I am diabetic a good cook and keto and intermittent fasting advocate your great food goodies have kept me on track . Thanks from your American fan, Suzanne

Reactions: ziggy_w

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

Do you have a meter, and do you check your blood sugar levels?

As @Robbity said, by using my meter to test before and after eating I discovered that I can safely eat 2 small new potatoes, or 2 small roast spuds, or half a dozen homemade chips with hardly any effect on my levels. What I can't eat is mashed, stewed or baked. Not everyone can manage these because we all have different tolerance levels, so you would need to test to see how your body reacts.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I had half a dozen chips with my mixed grill last night hardly shifted my BG mash is another matter. so now tend to have cheesy cauliflower mash instead it is nice low carb and every one in the family likes it.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I mash a little potato with a lot of celeriac and it tastes like mashed potatoes :)

chevy57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all your advice and ideas, I will be trying the cauliflower mash this weekend and hope it goes with sausages and onions. If so and England beat Wales I will be a very happy diabetic, thanks again Mark

chevy57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just one thing, a number of you have spoken about reheating food , I have never heard of this before . Could someone explain how and why please. Thank you Mark

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: Goonergal

Hairydavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

This recipe for cauliflower mash comes highly recommended by a number of people on the forum - originally @maglil55

https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/better-than-potatoes-cheesy-cauliflower/

I haven’t tried it yet, but it does sound good! I’m also a potato lover although I no longer eat them.

I tried for the first time last night (with bangers). It was excellent and, I agree, very hard to tell the difference between real mashed spud. And it's really filling.
Yo! proper bangers and mash for the first time in the 2 years I've been LCHF. Marvellous :)