Alcohol, high Blood Glucose before sleep then severe hypo seizure

BIGAnnie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,
I really hope somebody can advise me please. I have joined because I am worried for my type1 Son. Last night he came home from a long drinking session. Checked his bloods which were 16.9 and went off to sleep. Two hours later he was having what looked like a Grand Mal Seizure. I managed to inject glucagon and call ambulance. Again two hours later bloods back down to 2.4. I am terrified and he is blasé. Can anybody with any knowledge advise? He is 23 diabetic since 6 but highly resistant to accepting his diagnosis and limitations.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @BIGAnnie I can understand as a mum your concerns, however is he taking any responsibility at all for his condition ? It's down to him to face up to this and become accountable, can you get him to sign up here so he can talk to others, he may well be in denial and so until he accepts it then you will be literally banging your head against the proverbial brick wall.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Juicyj could you please move this to the appropriate forum?

Many thanks.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @Lamont D - we need permission from @BIGAnnie first before I can do this - please confirm you are ok for me to move your post into type 1 ? Thanks :)

BIGAnnie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
fine by me to move this post. Sorry I posted in the wrong place I did not realise.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

Babyweed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My son was 9 when diagnosed he’s 25 now. I went thru all the denial stages as a mother it’s truly heartbreaking and as much as we think we understand I didn’t until I was diagnosed 2 years ago now I get it. All I can say to you is hang in there support him but let him take control he will come out the other side and find his balance and what works for him. Leave some carbs handy for when he comes in don’t let him do a correction dose. And I know it’s hard but don’t be the over protective mother for me this made my son worse. Good luck

Reactions: JP808

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, Welcome to the forum.

From what you have said, I can only make the wild assumption that when he drinks, if he is in denial about his condition, he probably doesn't think too much about what it is he drinks.

I was diagnosed last October, and luckily, although sometimes a little down, I have come to terms with Type 1 Diabetes, and although into my gym work and stuff before diagnosis, I think this in fact has made me more aware of my body, and healthier for it. When it came to drinking, I was hesitant and very cautious. Now, I still drink (although currently not drinking, as I like not having my Sundays ruined...) I think about what I drink. A Vodka and Soda Water may not be the manliest of drinks, but it's A) Hydrating me B) Not pushing my sugar levels up while i'm drinking, only to take the big swing downward later on. I need to ensure I have something to eat towards the end of the night and not worry if i wake up at 8, 9, 10mmol.....as I can correct that easily enough the next morning. Usually I now only wake to 5-7mmol.

Has he got a CGM? I'm guessing no. Might be worth being able to check if he can get one. That might help him to take more control, being able to see what works for him and what doesn't.

Best of Luck to you.

Reactions: JP808

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Hello,
I really hope somebody can advise me please. I have joined because I am worried for my type1 Son. Last night he came home from a long drinking session. Checked his bloods which were 16.9 and went off to sleep. Two hours later he was having what looked like a Grand Mal Seizure. I managed to inject glucagon and call ambulance. Again two hours later bloods back down to 2.4. I am terrified and he is blasé. Can anybody with any knowledge advise? He is 23 diabetic since 6 but highly resistant to accepting his diagnosis and limitations.

Hello BIGAnnie,

This was common place for me. I was a drinker of the "couldn't stop" category and I would have the most terrifying Hypos in the early hours of the morning 2,3,4am ish. I wouldn't be able to talk, would be semi paralyzed down one side, severe cold sweats and confusion that was completely off the scale.
It would take me an age to realise what was happening and then I would need to get off the bed, but couldn't due to the paralysis so I would have to try and throw myself off or slide off using my one leg that worked and crawl along on my back like a slug using the one leg to get to the kitchen. Then it all started again as I would need to open the fridge but couldn't get myself up to pull the handle. Awful and how I'm still here is beyond my comprehension.

Anyhow I don't know if your son has a drink issue like I did (mine was chronic) but if he drinks heavily before he hits the pillow this will happen over and over. I don't mean to frighten you but I am just talking from lived experience (36 years Type 1 and 20 of those alcohol dependent)

I agree with what someone else has said regarding him taking responsibility, also you will not be around all the time and it is not fair on you to have to worry about this if he is not taking his condition seriously or is in denial of his diabetes or even his drinking!

What will help is if he keeps lucozade by his bed and I am not being funny but have it in one of those baby cups that he can suck it through the nozzle because he will not be able to open a bottle of lucozade if he is even close to how it used to affect me!

If he drinks spirits it would be best if he mixes with fruit juice or regular coke, lemonade etc. His sugars will be very high by the time he goes to bed but as you already know the blood sugar will go from high double figures to zero in the space of a couple of hours and the sugar in the mixers might help keep him just above Hypo range.

I know how frightening this must be for you (and your son) and it is also frustrating because he is putting his life at risk for the sake of just not eating and drinking sensibly..

Bottom line is he needs to sort himself out whether it be his diabetes, his drinking or both. Heavy drinking and Type 1 do not work and will be life threatening.

Please feel free to PM (personal message) me if you would like to talk a little more.

With all sincerity I hope things work out..

Kev

Reactions: nessals946

Shiba Park

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello BIGAnnie,

This was common place for me. I was a drinker of the "couldn't stop" category and I would have the most terrifying Hypos in the early hours of the morning 2,3,4am ish. I wouldn't be able to talk, would be semi paralyzed down one side, severe cold sweats and confusion that was completely off the scale.
It would take me an age to realise what was happening and then I would need to get off the bed, but couldn't due to the paralysis so I would have to try and throw myself off or slide off using my one leg that worked and crawl along on my back like a slug using the one leg to get to the kitchen. Then it all started again as I would need to open the fridge but couldn't get myself up to pull the handle. Awful and how I'm still here is beyond my comprehension.

Anyhow I don't know if your son has a drink issue like I did (mine was chronic) but if he drinks heavily before he hits the pillow this will happen over and over. I don't mean to frighten you but I am just talking from lived experience (36 years Type 1 and 20 of those alcohol dependent)

I agree with what someone else has said regarding him taking responsibility, also you will not be around all the time and it is not fair on you to have to worry about this if he is not taking his condition seriously or is in denial of his diabetes or even his drinking!

What will help is if he keeps lucozade by his bed and I am not being funny but have it in one of those baby cups that he can suck it through the nozzle because he will not be able to open a bottle of lucozade if he is even close to how it used to affect me!

If he drinks spirits it would be best if he mixes with fruit juice or regular coke, lemonade etc. His sugars will be very high by the time he goes to bed but as you already know the blood sugar will go from high double figures to zero in the space of a couple of hours and the sugar in the mixers might help keep him just above Hypo range.

I know how frightening this must be for you (and your son) and it is also frustrating because he is putting his life at risk for the sake of just not eating and drinking sensibly..

Bottom line is he needs to sort himself out whether it be his diabetes, his drinking or both. Heavy drinking and Type 1 do not work and will be life threatening.

Please feel free to PM (personal message) me if you would like to talk a little more.

With all sincerity I hope things work out..

Kev
Caveat: I'm not a big drinker!

What has worked for me for me is missing my evening basal injection. My logic is that a 'normal' person's pancreas would stop secreting insulin while the liver is busy with the alcohol. As basal cannot be suspended unless using a pump, the next best thing is having no basal. This works for me as I use Levemir.

I'd be really interested to hear what others view on my reasoning are; I'm due for a couple of nights out in Finland and want to stay safe with my hospitable,
/generous/alcoholic! hosts.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He almost assuredly took insulin before he went to sleep to cover the high glucose. People make poor decisions about insulin under the influence of alcohol. I've done it before. I don't do it anymore though.