Heart Attack

JoycieW

I was doing so well. Just over a year on LCHF with IF, 4 stone off, HDL & trigs improved, HbA1c down to 34 yet I still suffered a heart attack in January this year. Now on the slow road to recovery but suffering anxiety. I'm 52 years old and didn't expect this to happen. I would love to hear from anyone who has a positive experience for recovery.

Reactions: Happyhomelands

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I know a doctor friend who had one in his 50s. He's now fine (though on meds and with a stent) and was as fit as could be, save for the smoking habit which he has now kicked. No doubt you are anxious as would be expected. He reflected (just as you are doing) and now just accepts it as one of those things

You have to be lucky sometimes. Look forward to a good life

Mike

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was doing so well. Just over a year on LCHF with IF, 4 stone off, HDL & trigs improved, HbA1c down to 34 yet I still suffered a heart attack in January this year. Now on the slow road to recovery but suffering anxiety. I'm 52 years old and didn't expect this to happen. I would love to hear from anyone who has a positive experience for recovery.

Gosh Joycie, that's all a bit of a shocker. I'm pleased to report I haven't had any cardiac events, but just wanted to bump your post up for others to see.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm thankful severe palpitations which started with lchf was just a sign of atherosclerosis (mild). Betablockers helped.
What meds are you on @JoycieW ?

Reactions: JoycieW

JoycieW

I'm on blood thinners for at least 6 months (ticagrelor and aspirin) and 3 meds to control blood pressure and pulse rate. The aim is to keep my pulse at approximately 60 bpm to allow the heart muscle to recover.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm on blood thinners for at least 6 months (ticagrelor and aspirin) and 3 meds to control blood pressure and pulse rate. The aim is to keep my pulse at approximately 60 bpm to allow the heart muscle to recover.
Was exercise mentioned? Even just a daily walk makes me feel I'm doing my best. Walking is excellent, if you can walk. I walk in pain but only don't go out if icy or very windy. 20mins is sometimes All i can manage. You? Mine isn't off a heart attack thou.
Cardiologist who performed angiogram due to irregular ecgs, severe palpatations, breathlessness and swelling, asked me to exercise which I've never stopped with the help of my brilliant GP aiding me with physio and pain relief to be able to move. Awaiting bariatric surgery to take pressure off my bulging discs and weight loss. Hoping for half amount of meds at least, too.

I've read the recovery with a good plan after some heart attacks do prevent another. Be compliant and walk as much as possible, swim maybe or other light impact exercise til more confident. So you have a nurse to report to about heart problems? Attend all your appointments. They are good at what they do!

What's your plan now?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I haven't had a heart attack so please take the advice from your heart team. I'm wishing great healing on your heart. Were you advised multivitamins if changing diet?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn

As the Eagles once sang, "Take it Easy". It's a very recent event and conforming to the advice, do as your doctor advises. Think we all want you around quite a bit longer. If 60 bpm is the recommendation (and it is well within lower range), that's enough for now. Sounds like you're in very good hands

EDIT - For emphasis, I am not gonna be an advocate of exercise ... not yet. Think you need to account for that

Mike

Last edited:

pete254

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi JoycieW, I had a heart attack just over 4 years ago which is when I found out I had diabetes! The good thing is that the way forward for both conditions is the same - healthy diet and exercise. I started out with a daily walk as far as I could manage which wasn't very far (neuropathy pain in legs and feet). Four years on the neuropathy has all but disappeared and I am now fitter than I was 10 years ago. I am still on the ticagrelor but I don't worry about my heart anymore.
Don't give up, things will get better. Follow the advice of your medical team and you can beat this.
Best wishes Pete

JoycieW

Thanks to everyone who has commented. So nice to know you are there and great to hear your experiences. I'm currently up to a 29 minute walk but very slow. Up to the heart attack I was curling, swimming, doing yoga and pilates, and working full time. Perhaps I was overdoing things. I have a follow up with the pharmacist today.

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I would love to hear from anyone who has a positive experience for recovery.
My father had a heart attack when he was 62 and lived on until 78 - dying to a completely unrelated illness - he kept active -walking gardening an took up swimming as part of an excercise programme.
I hope that is a positive enough example.

Reactions: Prem51 and JoycieW

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
Hello @JoycieW - I had a heart attack last June. I had also been on lchf diet and felt really well so it was totally unexpected. I had been to the docs, thinking I was suffering with heartburn episodes for a couple of weeks and was prescribed antacids. I was alone in the house when I knew for certain it wasn't heartburn and phoned 999 for the first time in my life. I was then airlifted to Exeter where I had angioplasty and 4 stents. It comes as quite a shock, but the good news is that you have come through and will now be looked after well. Please go to cardio rehabilitation, it will do wonders for your confidence. The meds take time to get used to, so don't rush back to work (I went back after two weeks and it really was too soon). As ever diet and exercise is really crucial, l have changed from lchf and gone over to a low carb high protein diet which I find suits me better. I wish you all the best as you come to terms with your event and hope you feel back to normal soonxx

Last edited:

JoycieW

Hello @JoycieW - I had a heart attack last June. I had also been on lchf diet and felt really well so it was totally unexpected. I had been to the docs, thinking I was suffering with heartburn episodes for a couple of weeks and was prescribed antacids. I was alone in the house when I knew for certain it wasn't heartburn and phoned 999 for the first time in my life. I was then airlifted to Exeter where I had angioplasty and 4 stents. I comes as quite a shock, but the good news is that you have come through and will now be looked after well. Please go to cardio rehabilitation, it will do wonders for your confidence. The meds take time to get used to, so don't rush back to work (I went back after two weeks and it really was too soon). As ever diet and exercise is really crucial, l have changed from lchf and gone over to a low carb high protein diet which I find suits me better. I wish you all the best as you come to terms with your event and hope you feel back to normal soonxx
Do you mind if I ask if you are taking a statin? I've been prescribed atorvastatin but I'm concerned because last year I couldn't tolerate simvastatin and there is so much controversy in the media.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad to hear you are recovering. I think its important to know that your recent diet may not have been enough to reverse prior years of damage to arteries. I have not had a heart attack but it my job I see people who have had one and have been offered cardiac rehab courses to build up their exercise confidence (with awareness of their heart rates and how hard they can push it )and hope you have had access to one although it sounds as if you are keeping moving and doing all you can. You may not feel very lucky but I guess you are given all those folks who die from their 1st cardiac event. Best of luck for your continued recovery and future health.

Florida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am a diabetic and had a heart attack when I was 54. I know how you must be feeling but keep walking a bit more each day. Do avoid heavy lifting and be aware of your limits. I am now 72 and I have more problems trying to control my brittle diabetes than I do with my heart.

j.d.ice

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am a diabetic and had a heart attack when I was 54. I know how you must be feeling but keep walking a bit more each day. Do avoid heavy lifting and be aware of your limits. I am now 72 and I have more problems trying to control my brittle diabetes than I do with my heart.

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
Do you mind if I ask if you are taking a statin?
I was already on simvastatin, but they said it wasn't doing enough - so, yes. I am on atorvastatin now and it seems to be doing me a lot of good. But in addition to this I am no longer eating as much so much butter etc. now. It's tricky as there is a bit of conflict with diabetes diet and heart diet - but still keeping carbs as low as I can.

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Last year I went to the doctors for my annual check up, and I told her I was getting some chest pains but only when walking or doing some jobs around the house, She put me on some acid reflux tablets but she also booked a ultrasound for my heart. Well after about 10 appointments for various checks I am waiting to go into hospital for a triple bypass, I am not looking forward to the operation but I think I am lucky that they found the problem or I would have ended up having a heart attack, Thank you NHS

rebusuk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya Joyce
I am a 60 year old type 1 who had a heart attack about ten years ago. I was stented and put on preventative medication (6 tablets). After a 6 week recuperation and cardio rehab, I returned to work and normal activities and have been symptom free ever since (touch wood!). Please listen to your body and try to do a little more each day. I joined a gym following the end of my rehab and love every minute so please don't write your sport loving days off. Best wishes and believe me, it ain't the end of the world.