Getting Insight pump any pointers?

Books1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I start with Insight pump on 6 Feb so if anyone's got good pointers when starting out I'd be grateful.
Please don't take this the wrong way but don't tell me about why you wouldn't have this pump!

Frances

Reactions: Picci

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Reactions: Picci and Books1

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Frances (@Books1)

Welcome to the Insight, its my second pump, I've been very happy with it.
I will stick to the pump itself and not go into the pump starting information that others can cover for you.

It does have a few quirks, you need to be patient when taking a blood test and allowing it to work out your insulin needs, it takes a few mins and seems slow but you get used to it.

If you put blood on the test stick too early before it asks then you get told off and have to turn the handset off and back on again.

The handset needs a low power USB charger (you get one supplied), but for a car or travelling you need to make sure the charger you take works, I found the more expensive ones that manage the power work well (circa £10+) where the cheaper ones don't.

Handset needs charging every 2/3 days.

Be patient, the first few weeks or few months will seem a bit daunting but once your over this you will better see the benefits. Moving to a pump was the best thing I've ever done (other than get married).

Books1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks v much for this just the sort of practical info I was looking for!

Am v excited - sounds wrong when you're talking about med. equipment.

Frances

Reactions: Picci and himtoo

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I start with Insight pump on 6 Feb so if anyone's got good pointers when starting out I'd be grateful.
Please don't take this the wrong way but don't tell me about why you wouldn't have this pump!

Frances
Hi, my start date is for the Insight pump is 5th March @Books1 I'll be following this thread, good luck, exciting times ahead!

Last edited:
Reactions: Books1 and himtoo

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
its a good pump just keep an eye out for bubbles in the tubing, a few of us have problems with them while others do not

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Books1 I'm planning on getting a pump pouch in time for the big day. It's a daunting though driving to my appointment with insulin pens etc and driving home with the pump attached......I've booked a day off work.

Reactions: himtoo and Chas C

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Books1 and @Picci

I chose the Insight over the Omnipod for my second pump because you can also manually use the pump to dial up doses without using the handset as well as use the handset too. So sometimes you might have the pump tucked away and not want to pull it out or not be able to so use the handset. Other times you don't might not be able or want to use the handset and pull the pump out to dial in your needs manually. The freedom to choose either is great for me.

I do not get any major bubble issues, perhaps 2mm in tubing daily, but this has almost no impact on my control so don't bother with it. You can look daily and easily purge any bubbles. Not sure I've done this for over a year and my HBA1c is 41 (5.9). Saying that others have mentioned having more of an issue.

Please keep us up to date with your transfer and hope all goes well.

Marion1102

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm on the Insight it's my first pump, although I've had Type 1 for 30 years, and I love it. It's easy to use, works out your bolus for you, and I wouldn't want to be without it. One thing I would say is try to charge it on a daily basis, as this is what the Accu-Chek rep told me and if ever I don't charge it as much I get repeated handset problems which mean I have to reboot, no great deal just adds a bit of time

Reactions: Picci and Books1

Books1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Home with my brand new pump - circuit training was fine earlier this eve but not sure how much sleep I'll get tonight as I'm still high as a kite (excitement I hasten to add)???

Reactions: Picci