Type 2 Can't get blood sugar down

taxi lee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey all.. does it take time to bring my levels down.. was diagnosed with type2 before Xmas.. so now on low carb diet.. drinking lots of water.. no alcohol.. no sugar in my coffee.. no fruit.. yeh my bs levels still stuck on 15.1.. know it's a long process but thought maybe would of come down a little.. how long has it took u guys..

Many thanks taxi lee

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What are you eating these days Taxi Lee? Can you give us a typical days menu?

Reactions: taxi lee

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @taxi lee Getting more exercise will help to accelerate the process, if you don't walk much already getting a 20-30 minute walk into each day will help hugely, you'll get there, sounds like you're already making some great changes :)

taxi lee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The only carbs I'm eating is oats in the morning.. I've tried not to eat these but feel tired if I don't.. lunch is tuna or chicken salad.. evening meal is chicken or steak with either veg or salad..
Maybe need to exercise more.. Just got an exercise bike so hopefully 30 mins on that a night might help..

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The only carbs I'm eating is oats in the morning.. I've tried not to eat these but feel tired if I don't.. lunch is tuna or chicken salad.. evening meal is chicken or steak with either veg or salad..
Maybe need to exercise more.. Just got an exercise bike so hopefully 30 mins on that a night might help..

Are you accurately counting the carbs in everything you eat and drink? I need to work them out exactly each day to be sure I’m not underestimating the carbs I eat

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @taxi lee are you testing before and 2 hours after each meal to test the effect on your blood glucose levels?

Everyone reacts differently to carbs and carb/fat combinations. you might find that some types of carbs raise your BG levels more or for longer.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@taxi lee is that a fasting bg? Do you only test once a day? What was your HbA1C result on dx? We really need more information to be able to give you advice.

Bogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Welcome to a life with Diabetes.

I am tagging @daisy1 as you may not have seen the welcome information. Read it and absorb all you can.

There is no average time for lowering but there are various ways to do it. Not as simple as "How do you do it?", and no quick fix .. in fact, very rare for a "fix" but a plan to lower and manage instead.

You mention a low carb diet ... what do you consider "low carb"? What do you eat?
Are you using any meds to lower your levels?
Are you overweight?
Have you seen an Endocrinologist or just your doctor?
If diagnosed just before Christmas then your journey has just begun :)

15.1 is high, especially if consistent, and definitely needs to come down a lot - but when do you check your level? How often?

Be detailed in your next post and be prepared for a diet change, lots of information to educate you on Diabetes, and of course plenty of advice.

Lots of help here with many "life-timers" to help guide you.

Last edited:

taxi lee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all reply.. I was only testing in the evening... I'm on metformin.. 2 tabs a day.. Just checked this morning and was 12.9.... so going in the right direction..

woodenone46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My Bg's were never that high but were always between 6 - 8 & I was a little over weight so went on a Ketogenic Diet on 6th January & on weighing myself this morning I was down to 95Kg a loss of 5.3Kgms. Also my BG's are now between 4.4 & 6.

If you are interested in checking out Keto Diet then take a look at www.dietdoctor.com

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've just posted a thread titled tiredness. Ironically I had porridge yesterday, for a change and have woke very very tired. It must be too carb heavy for me still. I'm limiting my insulin as I'm trying for best of both worlds. No added insulin but good bgs on lower carbs.
I need to do a liver detox. I know it will help me and may kick start my weight loss again.

taxi lee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well hopefully I'm heading in the right direction... I'm not over weight.. in fact I've lost 2 stone since giving up drinking and eating better. My bloods are high but I actually feel best I've felt in a long time.. so that's a good sign