ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thanks to everyone who has commented. So nice to know you are there and great to hear your experiences. I'm currently up to a 29 minute walk but very slow. Up to the heart attack I was curling, swimming, doing yoga and pilates, and working full time. Perhaps I was overdoing things. I have a follow up with the pharmacist today.
You will get back there but don't rush. What are their expectations from any damage to your heart?
I've read on occasions the arteries can reroute themselves to fix the damaged area. Heal your body and enjoy your life.

Reactions: JoycieW

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I watched the movie 'the widowmaker' on amazon. Since 1992 calcium scan was available as an early warning system in America but was opposed til recently, especially by greedy cardiologists and insurance companies.
Thank god the NHS use it.
It needs to become a routine test like a cholesterol test.
It can save so many heart attacks.

I do what I can but put heart health as a priority due to being unsolvable obese and on huge insulin doses.
I just wish I could walk more!

Suffolk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was doing so well. Just over a year on LCHF with IF, 4 stone off, HDL & trigs improved, HbA1c down to 34 yet I still suffered a heart attack in January this year. Now on the slow road to recovery but suffering anxiety. I'm 52 years old and didn't expect this to happen. I would love to hear from anyone who has a positive experience for recovery.
Hi ,I too had good bg control, weight was9stones8lb in March 2016 ,on 6 May 2016 I had a massive heart attack ,7 weeks in papworth hospital ,after 3 weeks in intensive care,6 stents,bypass, mitral valve replacement and on ECMO .
I have made a good recovery ,nothing will ever be the same ,but as long as you stick to your meds life will be ok, it took a few months to feel a bit more normal & I ended up going to the hospice for counselling ,with relaxation & excersize ,as I did get a bit anxious & scared to go out ,they helped enormously ,I’m also really lucky to have a fantastic husband and great friends who support & help got me through the toughest time of my life, but as friends who have had everything from heart problems to breast cancer say we’re still here
I just had 6 weeks in Australia with my son & his family ,so yes you can come back from this ,sending positive thoughts & hugs x

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
After another diabetes issue tonight(vehicle insurance and the lack of thier knowledge),just want to say how this totally god forbidden condition always rears its head and no matter what you do positive there is aways two steps back,really feel for you.All you can do is do your best and I'm sure you are.

Reactions: JoycieW and Prem51

JoycieW

Last year I went to the doctors for my annual check up, and I told her I was getting some chest pains but only when walking or doing some jobs around the house, She put me on some acid reflux tablets but she also booked a ultrasound for my heart. Well after about 10 appointments for various checks I am waiting to go into hospital for a triple bypass, I am not looking forward to the operation but I think I am lucky that they found the problem or I would have ended up having a heart attack, Thank you NHS
All the best for your operation!

JoycieW

Hi ,I too had good bg control, weight was9stones8lb in March 2016 ,on 6 May 2016 I had a massive heart attack ,7 weeks in papworth hospital ,after 3 weeks in intensive care,6 stents,bypass, mitral valve replacement and on ECMO .
I have made a good recovery ,nothing will ever be the same ,but as long as you stick to your meds life will be ok, it took a few months to feel a bit more normal & I ended up going to the hospice for counselling ,with relaxation & excersize ,as I did get a bit anxious & scared to go out ,they helped enormously ,I’m also really lucky to have a fantastic husband and great friends who support & help got me through the toughest time of my life, but as friends who have had everything from heart problems to breast cancer say we’re still here
I just had 6 weeks in Australia with my son & his family ,so yes you can come back from this ,sending positive thoughts & hugs x
You had a very tough time! Glad you are still here.

Notorious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My dad had a heart attack at the age of 58 and had a bypass. He lived till 75, dying of complications of mylofibrosis, although he did have heart failure. He worked very hard to get fit and had a walking buddy, he managed his weight very well and was really fit until the mylofibrosis started at age 70. Walking is great exercise.

Suffolk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You had a very tough time! Glad you are still here.
Thankyou ,onwards now ,have a meeting with dn today ,oh joy, I know she’ll want to up my tablets but I’m not having it, I’m going along low carb steady route ,& I feel good, metformin sr 2x day just about tolerating the gassy tummy ,so she can go whistle, wishing you well x

Singsong_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi JoycieW

I had a heart attack 18 years ago age 40 . Take it easy for now , take your meds and carry on living :) . The heart is a wonderful muscle , my heart attack did a lot of damage but I live a "normal" life , brought up my kids , now a grandma of 4 and a bump ! Its soooo scary at the time and recovery took me months . I try to look forward , figure out a different way to do some things sometimes . The old corker " listen to your body" is the best advice I can offer , you get very good if you put your mind to it . The fear of another , well , try keep it in context . My thoughts are since I had mine I'm probably in a better position than before !! Regular checks and take my meds ( I have quite a few) . Feel I'm well looked after . This diabetes on the other hand has me floundering ..yikes ..guess I'll crack it in the end !!!You moved me to write my first ever post ....I wanted to reassure you and wish you a speedy revovery .

Best of luck

JamesW2612

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi JoycieW, I had a heart attack just over 4 years ago which is when I found out I had diabetes! The good thing is that the way forward for both conditions is the same - healthy diet and exercise. I started out with a daily walk as far as I could manage which wasn't very far (neuropathy pain in legs and feet). Four years on the neuropathy has all but disappeared and I am now fitter than I was 10 years ago. I am still on the ticagrelor but I don't worry about my heart anymore.
Don't give up, things will get better. Follow the advice of your medical team and you can beat this.
Best wishes Pete
Thats a great inspiration Pete,
I think the its difficult after something like a heart attack (especially when you have been working hard at your health like JoycieW) and feel like you can carry on as normal. My dad had a heart attack a few years back and the whole family treated him like he was made of glass for a long time. We found it hard to accept that he was not going to have another one.

I think its just a case of working on your health and doing your best to improve it as much as you can.

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
I'm taking my mum aged 84 to hospital for stents tomorrow. she's had angina for years and had a heart attack 15 months ago. She's a tough old bird who has had a lot of medical problems and surgery but she's getting really anxious about tomorrow's op. She's frightened that she'll have another heart attack whilst they're doing the stents. The only good thing would be if she did have a heart attack she's in the right place .

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My Dad went thru 2 bypass 15 years apart, and 6-7 stents operations...its amazing what the surgeons are able to do these days...take care.

Gwyndaf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was doing so well. Just over a year on LCHF with IF, 4 stone off, HDL & trigs improved, HbA1c down to 34 yet I still suffered a heart attack in January this year. Now on the slow road to recovery but suffering anxiety. I'm 52 years old and didn't expect this to happen. I would love to hear from anyone who has a positive experience for recovery.
I Suffered a heart attack 6 years ago last November (probably my fourth but unaware that I had suffered heart attacks). I then went to my local hospital from Tuesday to Saturday when I was transfered to Moriston Hospital, where after an angiogram which showed the cause and the need for a tripl or quadruple bi-pass, I had a triple bi-pass on the 6th of December and recovered enough to be allawed to go home on the 11th of December after beinf in hospital for 3 weeks.
I atribut my speedy recovery to putting myself completely in the hands of all staff and being relaxed in the knowlage that I was in the best place for me at the time, and after comming home under the care of my wonderfull wife Heather and doing what the doctor ordered I made a full recovery within a few months. So take care and be patient.

JoycieW

2, still here a dozen years later. Have been on various drugs that didn't work too well or caused ugly side effects. Presently on 2x a day low dose extended release clonidine hydrocloride tablets. Only side effect on them is dry mouth, but then, you can always hydrate.

Had a heart lung test which was better than the stress tests I had before because it associates breathing changes with heart issues and so is more informative.

http://www.mettest.net/cardiopulmonary_exercise_test.html

Also helpful is the heart rate monitor that also makes you wait properly to take pressure, inflates itself, hold about 300 prior readings with time and date, and has a setting to take eithr the pressures of another person or you can differentiate taking it with your other arm.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/omron-...itor-gray-white-black/9085103.p?skuId=9085103

You want a model, not sure this is exactly the one, that:

1. Checks for irregular heartbeats
2. rates your individual reading as normal, pre hypertensive or hypertensive
3. comes with both small and large cuffs (these are replaceable). Then you will set the cuff to go around your arm and some light clothing, so you don't have to do it from scratch all the time.
4. Makes you wait 5 minutes, then will take either one or three blood pressures in a row while you sit at a table somewhere, veg out and let it finish with your arm outstretched on the table.
5. Take your pulse at the same time.

Depending on your condition, you will want to take some BPs over again on the other arm.

Depending on your condition, you may have to stand up quickly and take a BP standing because some people almost pass out with this movement and you need to know.

Another useful item for mild exercise or any time you feel weird, or if you have had the cardiopulmonary test and are exercising to your limit (on that met test above, they will tell you at which pulse rate you have to quit or your heart is too taxes to exercise.

Until your rehab clears you for specific exercise at home (as opposed to their supervision), you can still do some gentle isometrics but ASK.

Than you are going to want a pulse oximeter. If your oxygen rate goes below 97%, you are going to want to consider what you are breathing and how you are breathing.

Everyone will get on you about diet and suchlike. So I thought I'd stick toheart stuff you can do for yourself. You will learn when you can go and do whatever, and when you must stop and rest in between and a bit more about how to know yourself
Thank you for taking the time to share your advice. Sounds like you have really studied things in detail.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, not good. ButI know a few people who have recovered well, so you should be ok

But, I'd be interested in what sort of food you were eating, and what your cholesterol was before, and what you're doing now.

My mates were (obviously) sitting down, and eating junk, but they'll following the doc's advice now (mostly lol)
But I've seen a few lads on here saying that is rubbish, they should be high fat, and ignoring the doc's advice for low cholesterol now more than ever?

JoycieW

Well, not good. ButI know a few people who have recovered well, so you should be ok

But, I'd be interested in what sort of food you were eating, and what your cholesterol was before, and what you're doing now.

My mates were (obviously) sitting down, and eating junk, but they'll following the doc's advice now (mostly lol)
But I've seen a few lads on here saying that is rubbish, they should be high fat, and ignoring the doc's advice for low cholesterol now more than ever?
Still following LCHF as I don't want to put weight back on but I have increased my oily fish intake and quantity/type of vegetables. Lots of broccoli, cabbage, sprouts, cauliflower and kale. My lipids improved from about 3 years ago to recent readings, especially HDL up and triglycerides down to acceptable levels. Atorvastatin has been precribed but I'm struggling with side effects.

JoycieW

Still following LCHF as I don't want to put weight back on but I have increased my oily fish intake and quantity/type of vegetables. Lots of broccoli, cabbage, sprouts, cauliflower and kale. My lipids improved from about 3 years ago to recent readings, especially HDL up and triglycerides down to acceptable levels. Atorvastatin has been precribed but I'm struggling with side effects.
5 weeks since my heart attack and not been given any advice on nutrition from any health professional.