Complex Carbohydrate intolerance(CCI)

meab2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@meab2 - I won't comment further on what the others have said about testing, but will ask you a bit more about the carbs you reintroduced to your diet. Could you tell me what you reintroduced?

The things you introduced; had you actually stopped eating them completely , or had you cut them down a bit?
I think maybe I have been naive in thinking my body could handle more carbs then it actually can . As well as Christmas we had 2 birthdays in January so I did eat some cake which I completely cut out before and Ive just been eating a little extra of this and that I don't write anything down as for carbs and calories etc . ideally I would like to eat between 70 to 100g of carbs a day but my body can't deal with that I think so I need to try and stick with between 30 and 50g but as many have said maybe its time to get a meter and find out for sure .

Reactions: Rachox and ickihun

meab2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@meab2 do what you can. We understand in far more difficult circumstances. If you stop complex carbs could you then be able to afford strips? I have a few old meters I could send you which aren't from NHS which you could sell and buy your strips? Message me if you think could help you. I could message you the meter's make and models and you could keep the best one for you, for battery cost and strip costs. I cannot help with strips nor any money.
Message me if any help. They won't be in their original boxes and royal mail are funny about batteries so the batteries may need declaring and in a separate delivery, if at all?
They'd only be going to a recycle plant otherwise.
Shame manufacturers in UK didn't do a second hand redistribution service!
Aww thanks for your offer but I will see what I can do/get here first .I haven't spoken to my diabetic nurse for a few months so will see what she says. I was only diagnosed end of September so this is still fairly new to me and I haven't researched it but of course there has to be type 2 here that test . I will.ask around and see what my options are as to how to get a meter and strips .

Hotpepper20000

Aww thanks for your offer but I will see what I can do/get here first .I haven't spoken to my diabetic nurse for a few months so will see what she says. I was only diagnosed end of September so this is still fairly new to me and I haven't researched it but of course there has to be type 2 here that test . I will.ask around and see what my options are as to how to get a meter and strips .
I know that here in Canada if you contact some meter companies directly they will send it too you for free. You would just need to do some research on which testing strips are the most economical for you there.

Reactions: meab2

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think maybe I have been naive in thinking my body could handle more carbs then it actually can . As well as Christmas we had 2 birthdays in January so I did eat some cake which I completely cut out before and Ive just been eating a little extra of this and that I don't write anything down as for carbs and calories etc . ideally I would like to eat between 70 to 100g of carbs a day but my body can't deal with that I think so I need to try and stick with between 30 and 50g but as many have said maybe its time to get a meter and find out for sure .

I think you need to start recording what you are eating. It is just as important as a meter. Your food diary should include all your meals and snacks (and drinks) with all the ingredients and portion sizes. (such as 2 tablespoons of x, half a dozen of y) This is important until you have got your food choices and a suitable eating plan worked out - otherwise it is guess work. When you get a meter you can record your levels alongside the food and patterns will jump out out at you. You will soon see which foods and in what portion sizes are making your levels worse.

Reactions: meab2

meab2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @meab2

I am literally carb intolerant but I have a condition that needs really good control!
So I would echo everyone that you need a meter.

I believe the reason why you don't get the symptoms of fluctuations in your blood glucose levels is because of you have no awareness of these symptoms.
What is normal for you, others who have better control would notice them.

Unfortunately, testing and experimentation is the only way forward, to find those carbs you are intolerant to. Also never mind what to avoid, it is what you can actually eat. Being in Turkey, fresh food is vital for a healthy diet for you.
Because being intolerant means you have to be so careful.
Most of my food is freshly prepared.

Best wishes
Yes all of my meals are freshly cooked ,we have good outdoor fresh fruit and veg markets but I sometimes find it a chore to cook because we all eat differently . My husband and daughter don't like a lot of veg that I like and are not fussed on salads where as I could eat it 4/5 times a week . We don't buy any processed meals . I make baked beans from scratch although we don't eat them as much now,summer time I can green beans in tomato sauce .I also canned some lovely peaches as food is seasonal here but this was before I found out I had diabetes and they are laced with sugar syrup so that's a no no for me .

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes all of my meals are freshly cooked ,we have good outdoor fresh fruit and veg markets but I sometimes find it a chore to cook because we all eat differently . My husband and daughter don't like a lot of veg that I like and are not fussed on salads where as I could eat it 4/5 times a week . We don't buy any processed meals . I make baked beans from scratch although we don't eat them as much now,summer time I can green beans in tomato sauce .I also canned some lovely peaches as food is seasonal here but this was before I found out I had diabetes and they are laced with sugar syrup so that's a no no for me .

That's great, yes it is difficult if you have a family.
I would be careful of the fruit, as the fructose can be too much. I have little pieces throughout the day. Also the tomato sauce, unless it is made without sugars or such, it should be ok. I can tolerate about a dozen baked beans, drained of course! But that is me!
We all have different tolerance, that is why we recommend a glucose monitor.
Keeping a food diary is a good idea as well!

Best wishes and welcome to the forum.

Lauriem1967

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Could your tummy troubles possibly be gluten allergy or intolerance?

Having a test meter has helped me get my BG under control in under a week. It’s an absolutely beneficial, and in my opinion, necessary tool.

ValYellow

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting I have nearly always had stomach problems lots of tests but no conclusive reason. Then I was diagnosed pre diabetic did the low carbs course on here and discovered the problem was intolerance of grains and now I am good but if I accidentally eat them stomac bloated and lots of pain etc so not only is my weight keeping off due to eating what my body is happy with such a revolution and feeling so well eating what I want without grains and keeping weight down yours very contented oh but the way I am not prediabetic any more either and it’s been more than a year now hope this info helps in some way.

verdesca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
none. very easy going
just opened another tab tried, "to Amazon have a shop in Turkey". it appears they do, or at least links to it