Type 2s: What have you eaten today?

Eliza52

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: low carb coconut porridge with strawberries and cream with coffee and a dash of milk
Lunch: small tin of Tesco beef stew with cauliflower and brocolli followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: chocolate chia pudding, my own recipe (<2g carb) with black coffee
Dinner: cheese and mushroom omelette with radishes and raw cauliflower and brocolli.
Great to see someone else eating the low carb way! Skimmed down the postings and amazed at how many people are eating banana (VERY high in sugars!), bread, crackers , rice, etc etc. I find it such a no-brainer to eat low carb (NO bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, etc etc) and put Type 2 in remission, come off the meds. If a symptom of diabetes is an excess of glucose in the blood....it sort of makes sense not to fill yourself with glucose (which is what all carbs become once they're in the body). Not only do I not take diabetes meds, I've also been able to stop cholesterol and triglyceride meds (which I'd been on for over 30 years) and come off statins. But of course, if everyone stopped eating cereals and breads, where would Kellogs and Hovis and the like be??!!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great to see someone else eating the low carb way! Skimmed down the postings and amazed at how many people are eating banana (VERY high in sugars!), bread, crackers , rice, etc etc. I find it such a no-brainer to eat low carb (NO bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, etc etc) and put Type 2 in remission, come off the meds. If a symptom of diabetes is an excess of glucose in the blood....it sort of makes sense not to fill yourself with glucose (which is what all carbs become once they're in the body). Not only do I not take diabetes meds, I've also been able to stop cholesterol and triglyceride meds (which I'd been on for over 30 years) and come off statins. But of course, if everyone stopped eating cereals and breads, where would Kellogs and Hovis and the like be??!!

I agree, real porridge appears a lot in this thread too! I must admit I just assume they’re Type 1s who can inject against the carbs. I was only diagnosed nine months ago but am enjoying this way of eating. I’m still taking Metformin and am happy to continue for the time being but my bp has normalised now so I’m hoping to start gradually get off my BPs meds soon. Your last sentence made me chuckle! Maybe Kellogg’s and Hovis would try to make low carb versions of their products!

Eliza52

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree, real porridge appears a lot in this thread too! I must admit I just assume they’re Type 1s who can inject against the carbs. I was only diagnosed nine months ago but am enjoying this way of eating. I’m still taking Metformin and am happy to continue for the time being but my bp has normalised now so I’m hoping to start gradually get off my BPs meds soon. Your last sentence made me chuckle! Maybe Kellogg’s and Hovis would try to make low carb versions of their products!
I presume eventually they will, when they realise that people aren't eating their products any more. Ok, in an ideal world we'd all, always, cook from scratch...but there are times when it's not easy...and low carb ready meals have to be an option at some point. Interestingly, out of the 11 people who wrote the current NHS healthy eating guidelines, six work for organisations that have the big food giants on their boards, and since their original meeting, the other five haven't attended further meetings. So it's no surprise they seem so reluctant to accept the mounting evidence. Out of I don't know how many different randomised control trials - something like 29 - the overwhelming majority of them show that low carb is significantly more effective in lowering all the parameters used in diabetes diagnosis and treatment (weight, fasting glucose, Hb1ac, etc etc) than low fat. After all, they've been advocating low fat for decades. If it was working, we'd not have the rising levels of obesity and Type 2 that we do. And there are now ever increasing numbers of people turning to low carb and putting their diabetes in remission - and KEEPING IT THAT WAY! There is a small but growing number of GPs and diabetes nurses and dieticians who are advocating this way of eating. One GP (Dr David Unwin - you can look him up - there are various Youtube videos of him) has already saved the NHS over £40,000 a year in diabetes meds for his patients, who have reversed their test results, and are living happier, healthier lives. Not to mention the savings in surgery and hospital admissions that they aren't going to need in later life.

Reactions: DJC3 and Rachox

Eliza52

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
By the way, I don't think they are Type 1s - they identify as Type 2 in their postings! Talking of type 1s though, there is a lot of work going on currently with Type 1 as well, and adopting a lower carb approach. Obviously, it's a different thing, and has to be much more rigorously controlled, but there is ongoing research happening. At the end of the day, their bodies also fail to deal with the glucose...so it would seem to make sense that if they have less of it to deal with, it might be better....but as I say, there is a lot of research still to be done (but it's looking interesting).

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ooh, won't tell you what was on today's menu, I may be excommunicated :eek:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ooh, won't tell you what was on today's menu, I may be excommunicated :eek:

Sorry I didn’t mean to scare you away. If you’re happy with what you eat no worries, I’m just unlucky that I can’t tolerate some choices other people appear to be able to eat :oops:

Reactions: heh

Jenniewren1958

Type of diabetes
Type 2
B few walnuts & slice of wafer thin Edam

L burger topped with cheese slice & salad

Haddock with stir fry pepper, courgette, spinach & tomatoes

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry I didn’t mean to scare you away. If you’re happy with what you eat no worries, I’m just unlucky that I can’t tolerate some choices other people appear to be able to eat :oops:
I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek but I did find Eliza52s post somewhat holier than thou
I thought this thread was just to share our meals to get ideas, not to be analysed.

Anyhoo
Today
Tea
B: 40g all bran & small banana, skimmed milk
L: Some chicken drumsticks & wings, some antipasti & gherkins
Latte
A pre dinner G&T
T: Sirloin steak, skin on fries & a couple of onion rings, 2 small glasses of vin rouge
Tea during the day
I'm now on 2nd G&T :D

Reactions: 4ratbags and Rachox

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: coffee n cream

L: 2 egg omelette with onion, tomato and cheese

S: pork rinds, Pepsi max

D: mashed cauliflower, broccoli, way too much roast pork and gravy, Pepsi max

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not had much at all today - a small banana for breakfast, a chicken sandwich for lunch and for tea as well (single slice of brown bread for both) and a mandarin.

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today
Tea
B: Scrambled eggs & bacon on 2 Tesco farmhouse wholemeal toast, tea
L: At the National Trust cafe at Bodiam Castle - beef stew with a small slice of a granary kind of bloomer
Now for the naughty - Alan & I shared a cream tea at a very nice cafe in Rye; a fruit scone & a plain scone with clotted cream & strawberry jam with a pot of tea :rolleyes:
T: Nachos followed by chilli & 2 small glasses of vin rouge :D

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday

Tea
B: Mushroom & cheese omelette, milky coffee.
L: Baxters highlaners broth, gherkins, blueberries
Satsuma
T: Meatballs in tomato & basil sauce, wholemeal spaghetti.
Tea & coffee during the day

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: coffee n cream

L: coffee n cream

S: 3 cheerios, 2 slices cheese

D: broccoli and cauliflower with lc cheese sauce, teriyaki marinated pork, Pepsi max

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Changed my usual breakfast banana for a Greek style yoghurt this morning (6.8g of carbs) but doesn't seem to have made any difference blood sugar wise - yesterday my fasting level was 5.9 and went up to 7.1 two hours after eating and today it was 6.1 and was 7.4 two hours after eating.

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tea
B: 40g all bran & a handful of bluberries with skimmed milk, 3 scrambled eggs
L: Baxters French onion soup & a banana
Nakd bar
T: Chinese takeaway - satay chicken & chicken mushroom (no rice), coffee.
Tea during the day

Some bad news today - I saw the nurse today (not a diabetes appt.) and I've put on 5kg since October :eek: - obviously I've got to get a grip :oops:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream and a white coffee.
Lunch: 1 slice of HiLo bread with mushroom pâté and side salad followed by Greek yoghurt and blueberries.
Mid afternoon: chocolate chia pudding with black coffee.
Dinner: bolognese with Explore Cuisine fettuccini followed by mini low carb Victoria sponge and cream.

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream and a white coffee.
Lunch: 1 slice of HiLo bread with mushroom pâté and side salad followed by Greek yoghurt and blueberries.
Mid afternoon: chocolate chia pudding with black coffee.
Dinner: bolognese with Explore Cuisine fettuccini followed by mini low carb Victoria sponge and cream.
How do you make your chocolate chia pudding? I was using NAS chocolate milk shake powder but DD doesn't like it so we end up having banana most of the time.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How do you make your chocolate chia pudding? I was using NAS chocolate milk shake powder but DD doesn't like it so we end up having banana most of the time.

I made up my own recipe! I warm 65mls of unsweetened almond milk in the microwave for 30secs, then add 4 level teaspoons of chia seeds, 2 level teaspoons of cocoa powder and two teaspoons of sugar free maple syrup. Stir it all well and then store overnight in the fridge. I eat it warm by zapping it in the microwave again.

EDIT That makes one portion.

Last edited:

JamesW2612

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi All,
I have just started a zero carb diet - so today i have eaten eggs and bacon for breakfast, 2 rib eye steaks for lunch and some chicken wings for dinner. I have been using my new airfryer so i have probably eaten more than i normally would, but the food is amazing in that thing.