hognose

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes, injections/needles.......veg salad fibromyalgia
i am late on set type 1 am told, and not type 2 as first dia,
i had a c-peptide test = 0.09 nmol/mmol severe insulin deficiency .

feeling bit lost at the mo

Last edited:

Jeremy_Wood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear that @hognose but just bear in mind that's exactly what Theresa May went through and she's not doing too bad. Hmmm...

On a brighter note, at least you now know what it is. It might seem like a whole new daunting challenge but today's support, research and medication surrounding Type 1 is outstanding.

Plus, we're all here for you.

J

hognose

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
thank you jeremy

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i had a c-peptide test = severe insulin deficiency feeling bit lost at the mo

Welcome to the exclusive sugar club, hognose! I was diagnosed T1 in October 2014 when I was 56! On learning more about the condition I realised quite quickly how lucky I was! Old enough to be able to accept it and young enough to learn to cope quickly! It’s a bit daunting at first but with time, practice and back up from the folks on here it soon becomes less difficult.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've noticed healthcare personnel there sometimes have trouble distinguishing Type 1 from Type2. You have nurses and GPs doing most of the medical care and decision making in the NHS. I doubt whether it ever really changes in the individual, but the persons interpreting the lab tests and clinical data may not always get it right and can change their mind it seems. Maybe it doesn't make any difference in the long run either.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @hognose The plus is that you have a correct diagnosis now and can take insulin to manage your BG levels, it's when folks are diagnosed t2 and plod on with medication and left with uncontrolled BG levels which is a worry. Once your insulin is working efficiently and you are getting your levels into range it will help you feel better. There's always someone around to chat to here if you have any queries so its not so daunting :)

hognose

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I've noticed healthcare personnel there sometimes have trouble distinguishing Type 1 from Type2. You have nurses and GPs doing most of the medical care and decision making in the NHS. I doubt whether it ever really changes in the individual, but the persons interpreting the lab tests and clinical data may not always get it right and can change their mind it seems. Maybe it doesn't make any difference in the long run either.
think at the start they look at age ,weight high bg and just labeled type 2,

hognose

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @hognose The plus is that you have a correct diagnosis now and can take insulin to manage your BG levels, it's when folks are diagnosed t2 and plod on with medication and left with uncontrolled BG levels which is a worry. Once your insulin is working efficiently and you are getting your levels into range it will help you feel better. There's always someone around to chat to here if you have any queries so its not so daunting :)
this is true,
i am on
novarapid per meal/snack
lantus overnight/morning
upteen bg tests

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the club!! I was diagnosed 4 years ago at 54. I am still enjoying life and ironically feel I am healthier now than in the last 10 years. The knowledge picked up about food makes me think twice about everything that goes past my lips.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Welcome @hognose! It should all get easier as you learn more and get to know how you react to food, doses etc. Early days so embrace everything you learn and don’t expect to know everything. We’re all learning, all the time.
You should get a new lease of life now you’ve got the right diagnosis.

Reactions: Sibyl and hognose

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
i had a c-peptide test = 0.09 nmol/mmol severe insulin deficiency .

feeling bit lost at the mo
Welcome to our very exclusive club. It's normal to feel a bit lost, confused and upset. The great news is that will soon pass and before long you will be joining the rest of us quite happily going on a grand adventure. We have all been there done that, so just remember you not alone or unique.

Reactions: hognose

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You cannot possibly imagine how much I hate it when people say that.

It's like walking into a prison cell and having everyone go "HEY! Glad you're here!"

Ah, Susie, so nice to hear your cheerful voice again.......glad we are all different:) A hearty welcome to the Forum, hognose! Trust that you will find lots of good info and support here, I certainly have and wish you all the best/L

hognose

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
well a insulin pump might be a good idea ?
better than the injections

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
well a insulin pump might be a good idea ?better than the injections
I wouldn't say better, just a different delivery method for the injections, via a subQ plastic catheter using an external infusion pump, which makes the basal delivery continuous and the meal/bolus deliveries very similar to insulin pen injections. Those boluses may be delivered more rapidly because there is already a tract from the catheter tip through the subQ space to the vunules to the circulation. Pumpers use the same short acting insulin all the time whereas we use a long acting basal (Lantus, Levemir, etc) and short acting bolus (Novolog, Humulog, Fiasp).

hognose

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I wouldn't say better, just a different delivery method for the injections, via a subQ plastic catheter using an external infusion pump, which makes the basal delivery continuous and the meal/bolus deliveries very similar to insulin pen injections. Those boluses may be delivered more rapidly because there is already a tract from the catheter tip through the subQ space to the vunules to the circulation. Pumpers use the same short acting insulin all the time whereas we use a long acting basal (Lantus, Levemir, etc) and short acting bolus (Novolog, Humulog, Fiasp).
thank you, are you not a pumper then ?

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am not. I've done the injections since I was diagnosed in 1984 and have had quite good control without an inordinate amount of hypoglycemic episodes. I think the pump is helpful for people who have a lot of that happen, the infusion rate can be adjusted automatically during the day/night. The person might need less insulin at night to avoid getting low for instance. Which is the most dreaded complication of Type 1 diabetes: "waking up dead".

Reactions: Dodo and hognose

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hognose - Forgive my curiosity, but were you an insulin dependent T2 prior to your reclassification?

If not, could I ask what led to the c-peptide test as your HbA1c results were extremely stable?