Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Hi Everybody,

I've only been diagnosed type 2 since Sep 2016 and started to develop neuropathy about 8 months ago. It isn't really bad at the moment but I'm interested in hearing how others have combatted this complication. I've been really fussy diet wise and it seems to help but maybe too early to tell for sure.

Thanks
Glenn

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did use to suffer very mildly. I had put it down to "old age" and then I was diagnosed. Mine was / is very mild - almost pins and needles every morning in my hands/arms and sometimes my legs.
It has reduced significantly since I started watching the carb intake and lost weight etc. I still do suffer but it is only once/twice a week and again it is very mild.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was my presenting pins and needles to the Docs that led to my diagnosis. It stayed with me for several months until I started taking Alpha Lipoic Acid, not suffered since

Reactions: Incyb

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yes and when I asked my neurologist why I was losing sensation in my feet and hands he ordered blood tests which eventually led to diagnosis not really changed a lot since then maybe it will improve with time.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I have neuropathy in both feet.
Left leg also numb up to my knee. I find it affects my walking, the further I walk, I find my legs would just give way.
I use a walking stick which does help a little with my balance.

JamesW2612

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hey,
Yes i have the numbness in my feet. Its more like patches of numbness in areas. Might sound silly but i didnt realise it was numbness at first. My big toe just felt odd, like the skin was swollen or thick.... I also used to have terrible nerve pain in my feet and fingers when my sugars were high. I have changed my diet so my sugars are never high now and the nerve pain has more or less gone.
I still have the numbness which gets worse if my feet get cold, if they get cold its like walking with no feet. I hope this is something that improves.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Hi James, Your situation is much like mine. Numb in patches but I don't get terrible pain, only mild pain when the BG is high for an extended period such as Christmas ( hard to avoid the lollies, beer and pudding at party time ). It takes a few weeks to settle after BG is back under control. I actually found a research paper that supports this behavior. I started a thread in the Diabetic Complications forum if you are interested.

I heard about ALA yesterday as Incyb has indicated and promptly ordered it. The advice was to use the R-ALA rather than the plain one though. Don't know if makes a difference yet since I haven't tried it.

Thanks,
Glenn

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Had a numb spot on my right leg between the knee and ankle.... R-ALA and biotin to counter the deficiency R-ALA can cause to biotin levels and no more numbness.