Am I expecting too much too soon (BG levels)?

BB8.HG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed last Friday (2nd Feb) and immediately went low carb (under 50g per day) and keeping to a 1300 calorie diet (I have lost 100lbs over the past 5 years but still have 100lbs to lose).
I’ve been taking Metformin at 500mg per day over the last three days with instructions to increase to 2x 500mg from today onwards (side effects are present but not terrible at 1x500mg)

I hadn’t previously been able to test, but my testing supplies have just arrived. After breakfast on the train (15g carbs) and a mile’s moderately paced walk to work I tested at 13.8.

I was quite disheartened. My diagnostic FBG was 13. I was expecting at least some positive change. I had thought the drastically lower carb intake would have at least a modest impact.

How long do you think it would take for me to reasonably expect a change in my blood sugar? Am I being too impatient?

Reactions: Freema

eldergarth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
marmite peanut butter
It does take a couple of weeks to get your BG's under control as your body needs to burn of all the fat ect. that is stored in your body it will come just be patient and keep doing what you are doing.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

No need to be disheartened. You asked if you were expecting too much too soon, and yes, you are!
Your level this morning doesn't mean much. A liver dump (dawn phenomenon) may have played a big part, your breakfast may have been too carb heavy for you in a morning, your walk possibly raised your levels. You will never know which of these, or none of these, caused your highish level. You cannot compare it with your diagnostic fasting level because you are not comparing like with like.

Now you have your testing kit, you can start to test out your meals but you need to be consistent and organised.
Test before you eat
Test again 2 hours after first bite
Ignore the levels for now but look at the rise from before to after. This should ideally be under 2mmol/l preferably less.
More than that and there were too many carbs in that meal which need looking at - either a reduction in portion size or eliminating.
Record your levels in a food diary that includes all the ingredients of the meal including portion sizes.
Look for patterns and try to learn from what you see.

Please have a good read round and ask any questions.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You asked a good question. Time lines are difficult to predict and as @Bluetit1802 says, yes you probably are.
If you that amount still to lose your system does have some backed reserves that your body will call on.
I took about 3 months to get my BG's where I wanted them to be.
It's not an overnight change as there are adjustments to be made.
You've made a good start, coming here and giving LC a go.
Follow @Bluetit1802 advice and you'll be good.

Good luck

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed last Friday (2nd Feb) and immediately went low carb (under 50g per day) and keeping to a 1300 calorie diet (I have lost 100lbs over the past 5 years but still have 100lbs to lose).
I’ve been taking Metformin at 500mg per day over the last three days with instructions to increase to 2x 500mg from today onwards (side effects are present but not terrible at 1x500mg)

I hadn’t previously been able to test, but my testing supplies have just arrived. After breakfast on the train (15g carbs) and a mile’s moderately paced walk to work I tested at 13.8.

I was quite disheartened. My diagnostic FBG was 13. I was expecting at least some positive change. I had thought the drastically lower carb intake would have at least a modest impact.

How long do you think it would take for me to reasonably expect a change in my blood sugar? Am I being too impatient?

What was breakfast on the train?
And yes you are expecting too much a bit too early.. what was your HbA1c on diagnosis?

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
be patient a week is no time. it should come down nice and steady. could you say what you normally eat and drink. hand washing is important.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
A trick the nurse told me, was to wipe off the first drop of blood, and test with the 2nd drop, ideally wash hands as well in water before testing.
Is there a significant difference in the reading 1st and 2nd out of interest if you've done it?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there a significant difference in the reading 1st and 2nd out of interest if you've done it?

The reason for wiping away the first drop and using the second is because under our skin there is what is called interstitial fluid, so when the blood comes through the prick hole it may also contain this fluid as well as the capillary blood. Interstitial fluid also carries glucose, and this is what is measured when we wear a Freestyle Libre sensor. The glucose it carries is normally some time behind the glucose in capillary blood - maybe by as much as 20 minutes. (it varies)

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Not done it, and I expect that 90% of the time the readings will be the same. But the 2nd drop of blood is less likely to give a false reading if there is, for example, any sugar on the skin, as well as the issue of interstitial fluid.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
The reason for wiping away the first drop and using the second is because under our skin there is what is called interstitial fluid, so when the blood comes through the prick hole it may also contain this fluid as well as the capillary blood. Interstitial fluid also carries glucose, and this is what is measured when we wear a Freestyle Libre sensor. The glucose it carries is normally some time behind the glucose in capillary blood - maybe by as much as 20 minutes. (it varies)
Oh did not know that..Do you mean prick the finger wipe first blood away,then squeeze the same finger that has already been pricked then take the blood?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh did not know that..Do you mean prick the finger wipe first blood away,then squeeze the same finger that has already been pricked then take the blood?

Yes that's what I mean. However, I don't do this. Firstly because I never get enough blood, and secondly because of the risk of contamination from wiping away the first drop.

BB8.HG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What was breakfast on the train?
And yes you are expecting too much a bit too early.. what was your HbA1c on diagnosis?

The breakfast was a smoothie comprising of...

Almond milk (200mls)
almond butter (teaspoon)
Total 0% yoghurt (2 very heaped tablespoons)
cocoa powder (teaspoon)
Erythritol (just under a teaspoon)

It tasted like chocolate Horlicks.

BB8.HG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sweetened or unsweetened almond milk? Can be quite carby.

Alpro Unsweetened. I think the bulk of the carb for breakfast came from the greek yoghurt which came out around 9g.

I've been thinking that around 15g carbs per meal would be ok to aim for, but perhaps it's not the best thing for breakfast and I aim for lower in the morning.

BB8.HG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A trick the nurse told me, was to wipe off the first drop of blood, and test with the 2nd drop, ideally wash hands as well in water before testing.

Good tip - How do you avoid contamination when wiping the first drop?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Alpro Unsweetened. I think the bulk of the carb for breakfast came from the greek yoghurt which came out around 9g.

I've been thinking that around 15g carbs per meal would be ok to aim for, but perhaps it's not the best thing for breakfast and I aim for lower in the morning.
Quite a few people seem to be more sensitive to morning carbs (others of course to evening carbs). I don't have breakfast apart from coffee or tea thus extending my overnight fast for a few extra hours which I reckon helps quite a lot in lowering blood ugars. Might be worth a try?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
my breakfasts are far more like a meal - I had scrambled eggs with cheese and a sliced tomato - quite a big one, as my first meal of the day, and a cup of coffee with cream, and now will go through to when I get back from dance practice at about 10pm to have anything else to eat. The scrambled eggs are done in a mini woc and take one minute to cook so there isn't really a time factor involved in the making of them.

On low carb I don't have to limit calories very much - I have lost over 40lb without trying and am now trying to build up some muscle.
The main thing is to have meals which do not spike BG - particularly the main meal of the day. Try to be under 8 after dinner as that seemed to be the tipping point for me.

Reactions: hankjam