How sad

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Quite right, @DavidGrahamJones , quite right.

For me, I had to completely re-learn to cook whole foods, really. Learn how to cook with spices and herbs. Apart from the good old roast which I was born being able to do, it would seem. And absolutely, it is great being able to eat such good wholesome food at my own table and share with friends and family for sure.

I don't think wholesome food is an key to the lock of good health just for us blood glucose dysregulated folk! I was at a bbq last night (I'm in the southern hemisphere), and we got around to discussing the interesting times we live in with conflicting or outdated dietary advice confusing the hell out of most people, and I mentioned that I need to know this stuff, as in the truth about good diet, as it is a life saver for me. A lovely couple were being very sympathetic but insisting this stuff was of no interest to them or their family. And then it turns out that he was suffering very badly from rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and arthiritis, and one of their children was very intolerant of both wheat and dairy (which I had said was exceedingly common). I actually gasped. "But this information absolutely applies to you and your family!" As the mother was from the Phillipines, I suggested that dairy intolerance, nor would wheat be, was not an outrageous or surprising factor for her offspring. And of course, the excess carb connection to RA has been made scientifically. (I said it in a very friendly fashion, I promise.) As I discussed the fact that RA as an autoimmune disease was not caused by mechanical factors, as arthritis is, but things that go into the body (ie, food and toxins, and food that acts like a toxin to some folk). The gentleman then told me he didn't know what his affliction was, after all, as he staggered up from the table with crutches to get away from me, and the lovely lady from the Phillipines told me about buffalo milk , and I realised I had to leave the poor couple alone.

The effect of wheat and dairy on wheat and dairy intolerant people, and excess carbs on carb intolerant people is WAY more wide ranging than 'just' to the huge amount of people in the world who suffer from hyperglycemia at the moment in our current food environment. IMHO at any rate.

Reactions: Colin of Kent

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is all really interesting, thank you for sharing.

I read a fantastic book which I acted upon initially but, to my shame, I have let the habits slide in recent years. Owing mainly to having very little time, actually. I agree that the government should step in and help us, but they won't because it serves their interests if we are time-poor consumers of junk food and medication. The food and pharma industries are so powerful.

Anyway, the book was 'Fat Chance: The Hidden Truth About Sugar, Obesity and Disease'. I urge everyone with an interest in food and health to read it. Essentially, the author advises us to move away from carbs, especially refined carbs, and anything processed. The more processed it is, the worse it is for our health.

Reactions: AloeSvea

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I often look at supermarket trollies to see what other people are buying .. what an eye opener ! None of my business but I must say I'm horrified at all the junk food. Seems like real cooking is a dying art ?

Reactions: michelle88

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I often look at supermarket trollies to see what other people are buying .. what an eye opener ! None of my business but I must say I'm horrified at all the junk food. Seems like real cooking is a dying art ?
I think it's also an acquired taste. So a salad is considered bland. My salad are not. Even if I don't use the cheat to add some olive oil with hot pepper were soaked for a year, adding some spices will spice it up. And making a salad is easy for everyone that could use a knife.
If people starts to drink coke and eat m&ms it will continue to eat them.

TIANDB

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
no wonder T2 rates, cancer rates etc etc are on an seemingly inexorable rise as life expectancy is falling too
https://www.theguardian.com/science...-family-food-purchases?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Don't be to sad.. We now have a life expectancy into the 80's if you were living fifty years back and beyond that life expectancy would drop and drop even to the teens if you go back far enough.
https://visual.ons.gov.uk/how-has-life-expectancy-changed-over-time/
Cancer is of course a scourge but the actual figures although horrid come through at well under 1% of the population will have cancer..
http://blog.dana-farber.org/insight...ies-have-the-highest-and-lowest-cancer-rates/

Diabetes rates here in the UK with our over 50% processed is not as high as many of those countries mentioned above with their home cookings ? Well down the list at 160th on this link from 2017.. Under 5% Have Diabetes ? So 95% of us do not ?
With our sustenance choices.

upload_2018-2-8_18-9-11.png

https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/indicators/SH.STA.DIAB.ZS/rankings.
No offences intended and wishing good health to all..

Last edited:

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hmmm. I agree it is good for us not to be sad @TIANDB. Maybe it is easier for those of us with diabetes to get sad at all the processed food out there? Because those of us with hyperglycemia/blood glucose dysregulation have already fallen foul of what bad food can do to us.

The rates of intermediate hyperglycemia (I like this more exact term better than 'prediabetes') are actually frighteningly high in many countries in the 30%s if my memory is serving me correctly? When I apply this to my own environment with friends and family this seems absolutely accurate. (I'm a bit different because I have come down to intermediate level from dx rather than starting off from that prediabetes ppoint at dx.)

With all the processed food, and sugar just being added to everything - it is not surprising! Scary as heck. And - yes - sad, for sure.

(At that bbq I referred to earlier - sugar had clearly been added to the steak marinade. This is something I do not understand one tiny bit! Meat sooooo doesn't need sugar to enhance its wonderful flavour imho. I kept my mouth shut, as I didn't want to offend my lovely hosts, and they know sugar is a toxin to me so they would have felt bad. But, it is very sad that they don't realise that sugar is a toxin to everyone - some of us just fall foul of that additive more than others.) (this is my understanding anyway.)