Advice please

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t count cucumber or above ground veg. By the time they raise your sugar levels the insulin will be no use. As I’m not on a pump, to start reckoning that sort of stuff in I’d be eating more just to make up levels for insulin which seems crazy.

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @kaylz91 I don't know if this has been the case for you, but for me, whether I need to count for something that has only a very small amount of carbs depends on how many carbs are in the meal as a whole.

For instance, if I am having cauliflower rice risotto, I need to count every last gram from the vegetables, and then put some more on top of that. If I were having a bean sprout chicken stir fry, I would need to bolus for half the protein and the pepper, mushrooms etc. But last night, my boyfriend made macaroni cheese, and I did not bother to count for the broccoli or the chicken. The pasta was (and continues to be) the problem!

Apologies if that made no sense. I seem to be spewing nonsense today!

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would suggest a teaspoon or two of sugar free peanut butter can be safely ignored when counting your carbs. But for calories, that’s another matter!

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would suggest a teaspoon or two of sugar free peanut butter can be safely ignored when counting your carbs. But for calories, that’s another matter!
It would be more of a tablespoon and as you can see as I'm currently42kg with a BMI of 14.9 I don't think the calories are an issue x

Old_Dave

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on the same insulin types as you are and for what it's worth I just read the bread packet which gives amount of carbs per slice. It's far more important to make sure you only use a low carb wholemeal bread type and I'm still looking for that. At present mine is Aldi wholemeal medium which is 16g / slice.

Reactions: Sibyl

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Peanut butter will send your blood sugar to the moon. Take insulin for it. It doesn't taste like avacados and cucumbers. Right?

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on the same insulin types as you are and for what it's worth I just read the bread packet which gives amount of carbs per slice. It's far more important to make sure you only use a low carb wholemeal bread type and I'm still looking for that. At present mine is Aldi wholemeal medium which is 16g / slice.

Hovis does one now that’s 9.9g/slice

subortna

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there, don't know if this is helpful but I am a peanut butter addict and have searched practically every brand but have found the lowest in carbs so far is Asda's own crunchy at just 4.6g of carbs per 100g weight which is not bad.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not concerned about the bread, and I'm not low carbing either, well I shouldn't be so please don't force that point to me, as mentioned hovis do a low carb if that's what your after but I use Tesco wholemeal medium which is just under 15g a slice

Reactions: Sibyl

Rusne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, don't know if this is helpful but I am a peanut butter addict and have searched practically every brand but have found the lowest in carbs so far is Asda's own crunchy at just 4.6g of carbs per 100g weight which is not bad.
Hi, I found it interesting what you wrote. I read a lot of labels recently because I was diagnosed a few months ago. So I started to wonder, perhaps the difference in the amount of carbs in different peanut butters is due to how companies actually measure carbs, and not due to actual difference in peanuts? if peanuts have 7g carbs how come peanut butter would have 4.6?

macadamia nuts at holland and barnet are labeled as 18.3g carbs and tesco macadamia 5.22g carbs. but arent those the same nuts???

hognose

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes, injections/needles.......veg salad fibromyalgia
i use lidll high protien roll 9 carbs and
Whole Earth Peanut Butter with Seeds 4.6 carbs

hope that helps

agwagw

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I love peanut butter - I buy Meridian in 1kg pots. It is made from the complete nut (skin and kernel) and comes in at 11% carbohydrate - so approx 2g per portion. I would normally take that amount of carb into account - though I find it is very slowly digested so just the peanut butter on its own has very little effect on my BG. I feel it would be easy to overbolus even with quite a lot of peanut butter.

One word of warning - many of the branded peanut butters have large amounts of added sugar so definitely read the label. The Meridian contains only peanuts - no 'stabilisers' or emulsifiers so the oil and solids separate on storage - just needs a mix in a food mixer and then back in the pot.

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Peanut butter will send your blood sugar to the moon. Take insulin for it. It doesn't taste like avacados and cucumbers. Right?
Sorry, but I really can’t see how sugar free peanut butter could send your blood sugar to the moon. A small handful of roasted peanuts would not do it which is essentially the same thing!

BigIain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Carbs
Sorry, but I really can’t see how sugar free peanut butter could send your blood sugar to the moon. A small handful of roasted peanuts would not do it which is essentially the same thing!
The problem is a lot of the own brands add sugar. Check the label.