Just Diagnosed... Assume I am Type 2 and Hello!

Lovejoy00

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all,

I initally went to the doctor with groin pains and after ruling out a hernia he sent me for blood tests, and referred me for an ultrasound. A few days later the results came back and the results were fine except there was an HbA1c of 72 mmol! I was sent for another blood test and it came back with 73 mmol!

I have been feeling a bit tired and urinating a bit more than normal, but not excessively. My Doctor has referred me to a "Diabetic Clinic" which is held in the same GP surgery next week. He said I was "only" 36 and it's quite rare, however I am about 2st overweight (98kg).

No one has told me if it's Type2 or Type1 but I assume it's Type 2 based on my symptoms.

However for the past 2 years or so I haven't been a good boy! I used to swim a lot and cycle everywhere and eat quite healthily. Since I moved to London I no longer cycle anywhere and don't swim as much, plus I started to drink a lot more. Mainly bingeing at the weekend.

I have spent the last two weeks intensively reading this forum and learning a lot, I never knew carbs were so bad for diabetics. Since last week however I have really tried to eat healthily and now go swimming three times a week. I also walk a bit to work/home (ie to/from the station). I also try and do a long walk at the weekends.

Thanks to this forum I bought a Tee2 and it arrived today. The readings before a meal were: 7mmol/l and 2 hours later were 14mmol/l. To be fair the meal was me trying some buckwheat and roasted veg, and it appears it isn't good for me.

I probably ate too much as it really filled me up and expanded! First lesson learnt! On a more humourous note I am using a small Fortnum & Mason biscuit tin from Christmas as a sharps box!

My current diet (yesterday) can be summarised as below:

Screen_Hunter_135_Feb_08_22_30.jpg

I am avoiding white carbs, ie potatoes, pasta, bread etc and anything sweet/junk. I have cut down drinking to 3 pints on a Friday OR Saturday and trying to migrate to vodka and diet tonic etc. I know the porridge might not be good and maybe too much fruit/sugar. Obviously I will need to do lots more testing.

Well thats me and what I've done, no doubt there is more to learn, but thought I would introduce myself as I am sure I will be have 100s of questions!

Daniel

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Daniel,
Welcome to the forum
Sorry to hear of your diagnosis.
Take care

Reactions: Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I would suspect that you are still overdoing the carbs - grain of any sort is not good, eaten and drunk - the vodka and diet tonic is good - though you need to be sure it is diet tonic as there have been many reports of bar staff serving up full sugar versions from those press the button type dispensers.
I'm afraid that the colour of the carbs doesn't matter at all - white or brown they elevate your blood glucose, and you really need to limit them. Also fruit, high sugar ones are really to be avoided, many eat berries (other than blueberries) with cream, in small quantities with meals but fruit as a snack is just a sugary spike in a handy size container.
A level around 50gm a day seems good for many. I find it is a comfortable level to stay at, and I get normal readings.Having a meter of your own really helps to point out those things spiking your BG levels

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
that was quick popping you on insulin. it would be worth getting the antibody tests done to rule our type1 or lada. your doing very well

Reactions: Prem51

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi. For me, it's all about diet and approach. Low carbing is what has worked/is working for me. Of late, I have eased up a bit and hoping the impact of that is manageable. In the end, while it is clear to me that the fewer carbs I eat the lower my blood sugar is, your diet has to be comfortably sustainable..and we all differ and we all need to find a way we can handle. Good luck. I would just add that i think that was a very good...informative...first post.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Too much fruit and porridge are not good at all. Dump (or cut down on) them and stick to berries. Bacon eggs and (80+) meat sausages should feature

Last edited:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @Lovejoy00 well done for taking immediate action. You are the same weight I was diagnosed at. I you are confirmed Type 2 and continue with diet control, you might want to seek help with your diet options.

In hindsight, what has taken me 3 years I could have achieved in less than 1 (even quicker). You can decide the level of control you want to aim to achieve, from ok to excellent. Just ask if you want assistance.

singsteve

I initally went to the doctor with groin pains and after ruling out a hernia he sent me for blood tests, and referred me for an ultrasound. A few days later the results came back and the results were fine except there was an HbA1c of 72 mmol! I was sent for another blood test and it came back with 73 mmol!

I have been feeling a bit tired and urinating a bit more than normal, but not excessively. My Doctor has referred me to a "Diabetic Clinic" which is held in the same GP surgery next week. He said I was "only" 36 and it's quite rare, however I am about 2st overweight (98kg).

No one has told me if it's Type2 or Type1 but I assume it's Type 2 based on my symptoms.

However for the past 2 years or so I haven't been a good boy! I used to swim a lot and cycle everywhere and eat quite healthily. Since I moved to London I no longer cycle anywhere and don't swim as much, plus I started to drink a lot more. Mainly bingeing at the weekend.

I have spent the last two weeks intensively reading this forum and learning a lot, I never knew carbs were so bad for diabetics. Since last week however I have really tried to eat healthily and now go swimming three times a week. I also walk a bit to work/home (ie to/from the station). I also try and do a long walk at the weekends.

Thanks to this forum I bought a Tee2 and it arrived today. The readings before a meal were: 7mmol/l and 2 hours later were 14mmol/l. To be fair the meal was me trying some buckwheat and roasted veg, and it appears it isn't good for me.

I probably ate too much as it really filled me up and expanded! First lesson learnt! On a more humourous note I am using a small Fortnum & Mason biscuit tin from Christmas as a sharps box!

I am avoiding white carbs, ie potatoes, pasta, bread etc and anything sweet/junk. I have cut down drinking to 3 pints on a Friday OR Saturday and trying to migrate to vodka and diet tonic etc. I know the porridge might not be good and maybe too much fruit/sugar. Obviously I will need to do lots more testing.

Well thats me and what I've done, no doubt there is more to learn, but thought I would introduce myself as I am sure I will be have 100s of questions!
Too much fruit and porridge are not good at all. Dump (or cut down on) them and stick to berries. Bacon eggs and (80+) meat sausages should feature
Hi @Lovejoy00 well done for taking immediate action. You are the same weight I was diagnosed at. I you are confirmed Type 2 and continue with diet control, you might want to seek help with your diet options.

In hindsight, what has taken me 3 years I could have achieved in less than 1 (even quicker). You can decide the level of control you want to aim to achieve, from ok to excellent. Just ask if you want assistance.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.

singsteve

Hi Daniel
I am a scientific nutritionist. Sure you can beat this and I was very interested in your post. I have say very surprised by the fact that someone of your obvious intelligence was not aware of carb dangers but there are many other factors. You diet has someway to go yet but here are a few well proven tips. In successfully helping many people reverse D2, some things are always the same:

NO.

NO sugar or preserved sugar or hidden sugar, disguised whateverZERO
NO added salt
NO saturated fat. Look up 'intramyocellular lipotoxicity.'
NO fizzy drinks at all
Cut fruit except blueberries completely for first six weeks
NO tinned food for first six weeks
Cut any serial for breakfast for at least 12 weeks
A beer is ok now and then but NOT with food

you will lose weight too

ran out of time will return

good luck

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Daniel
I am a scientific nutritionist. Sure you can beat this and I was very interested in your post. I have say very surprised by the fact that someone of your obvious intelligence was not aware of carb dangers but there are many other factors. You diet has someway to go yet but here are a few well proven tips. In successfully helping many people reverse D2, some things are always the same:

NO.

NO added salt
NO fizzy drinks at all

you will lose weight too

good luck
That is rather strange advice - cutting right down from normal amounts, but you can still have some sugar.
You will need to add salt if you are eating a lot of unprocessed foods, though not huge amounts. In warm weather you can get cramps due to too little salt.
Saturated fat is fine as far as I can work out - my test results seem ideal.
Fizzy drinks containing small amounts of fruit juice or sweetened with artificial sweeteners seem fine, though not to excess as they maintain a 'sweet tooth'.
Blueberries are twice as sweet as many berries, so should be avoided.
Tinned food is fine as long as it is low carb.
Cut any cereal for breakfast for the rest of your life if it spikes your BG.
Beer is not really OK as it is so high carb, but if you walk to the pub and back again then it might be OK - check BG levels.

Lovejoy00

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your replies. I think I will struggle with breakfast for a while, as I am used to filling up first thing.

But today for breakfast I have just had 2 mini babybels and a handful of almonds, but I've left my tester at home! doh!

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Thanks for your replies. I think I will struggle with breakfast for a while, as I am used to filling up first thing.

But today for breakfast I have just had 2 mini babybels and a handful of almonds, but I've left my tester at home! doh!

I have to fill up for brekky too. This morning - two beef sausages and a poached egg. By the way, I do occasionally have porridge. Must be Lowan rolled oats and only 50g. It has the lowest GI of all the oats I can find and doesn't spike me. Last time I had it, 3 days ago. BG before -> 5.3, 1 hour later ->6.5, 2 hours later -> 5.4. Happy with that. I'm 94 kg.

Lovejoy00

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just been looking at booze, quite shocking how bad beer is! :( Maybe a crafty glass of red, that is it! Otherwise slimeline and gin/vodka.

upload_2018-2-9_8-41-30.png

Edit: The red wine is for a large glass, not a bottle.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Daniel

NO.

NO added salt
NO fizzy drinks at all

you will lose weight too

good luck

As a scientific nutritionist I would have hoped you could at least spell cereal correctly.
Some of your advice is ok but in my opinion the avoid saturated fat is complete drivel.
Blueberries are one of the more carb packed berries so raspberries would be a better substitute.
You also seem to have missed the large carb items like bread, pasta, potato, rice as something to be avoided.
Meat, fish, green veg, eggs, cheese, cream, butter form the backbone of my way of eating and seem to give me pretty good control.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just been looking at booze, quite shocking how bad beer is! :( Maybe a crafty glass of red, that is it! Otherwise slimeline and gin/vodka.

View attachment 25164

Edit: The red wine is for a large glass, not a bottle.
I do gin or vodka with soda water and ice with lemon Or lime it’s delicious and avoids pitfalls of slimline tonic!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Wow! I am SO impressed by your informed and systematic approach. I have NEVER before seen a beginner on this Forum come anywhere near this. I certainly didn't! IMO this augurs extremely well for your future health. Your exercise programme also sounds terrific and I am relieved to see you have not resumed your cycling, as cycling in London might enable you to dodge all diabetes issues by coming to a premature end under one of those nice red buses or similar.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Daniel

NO.

NO added salt
NO fizzy drinks at all

you will lose weight too

good luck
Is this a weight loss diet rather than a long term diet for diabetics ?

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all,

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Welcome to our community and would like to share this info -

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

Andrew

AFM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Daniel

NO.

NO added salt
NO fizzy drinks at all

you will lose weight too

good luck
Well with your diet what is the point in living, to gain a couple of extra miserable years of life?