Cauliflower Rice

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Does anybody else not bother with Cauliflower rice anymore when having a stir fry or a Curry? I find that if you do it yourself its a waste of time. I did buy the frozen one and does not taste bad, but something seem to happen to Cauliflower when its blitz to me,it has a stronger taste. I so much enjoy the cauliflower more, steamed and left in the normal way with a curry. No way can anybody convince me that Cauliflower can substitute rice lol. I do love cauliflower and broccoli mash though with cream, garlic puree,black pepper and some grated cheese and butter mashed in. I feel as if I am having mashed potato that way..So creamy. Has anybody else given up on pretend rice? I will spiralize courgettes because I like them, but not to replace pasta

Reactions: Freema

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do use cauli rice with curry and I’ve made a cauli rice kedgeree. To save making my own which is a faff I buy pouches of it from Tesco, you just snip the top off and microwave it for a couple of mins. It’s a good cupboard stand by. I actually prefer it now to rice. I also like using butternut squash as a pasta substitute, as ‘spaghetti’ with a bolognese or sliced into sheets to make a ‘lasagne’. I also kid my eye when I make a stir fry by replacing noodles with bean sprouts. Explore Cuisine do tasty alternatives to spaghetti and fettuccini which I use too.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't bother making my own anymore - I buy the frozen from Iceland - £2 for 4 bags, no waste, no mess and quick and easy :) - still use my spiralizer nearly every day for something though for courgetti, onions, whatever veggies it will do

Reactions: Freema and Serena51

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I still make my own cauli rice, I buy a few cauliflowers when they are on offer and do a big batch blitz in food processor, then freeze in portions. I find this quick and easy. I add herbs or spices to complement what I am serving with the cauli rice. I find it helps bulk up the meal too.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't make anything to pretend to be anything else caull is caulli and rice is rice
CAROL

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I buy fresh Cauli Rice from Aldi and do it like Bachelors savoury rice stir fry some other veg - peppers, mushrooms, edmame beans, sweetcorn etc, if I'm going mad a few prawns or some chicken, add some spices then chuck in the Cauli for a couple minutes. Yummy

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Our dustbin is rarely more than one quarter full - and it is the small size - I don't buy anything in a packet when I can get it in its natural state - I am even picking tomatoes from plants in the big window at the end of the kitchen. If I want cauliflower, slicing a big one in two is the sum total preparation time.

Reactions: Ultramum and Freema

tk123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont bother with it at all, it's not practical to make at home for me, and the bagged stuff is pure stem here, and it tastes like absolute garbage.

I will buy it take out from Whole Foods at their buffet counter, as it's absolutely amazing there (It's amazing with their red chicken curry). But I dont count carbs and they have no macro charts, so thats likely not for everyone.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had it for lunch today lightly fried in coconut oil. It is my new favourite thing. I resisted that and courgetti for a couple of years, thinking it was bonkers. I am now sorry I didn’t give in earlier. I do not understand the problem with prep it takes seconds in my food processor and it’s amazing how little you need. 100-120g my usual. As Scimama says freeze a batch.
I bought a butternut squash today as they were on offer at Lidl’s and will be trying it as a pasta substitute this weekend. Wish me luck.

Reactions: Serena51

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have a food processor so it's just a grater for me - makes far too much mess - I also don't buy the fake rice thing - it's a cauliflower however it's cooked - the one I get from Iceland is the green one and has finely chopped broccoli, kale and courgette- much much nicer - but it's still not rice just finely cut veg

jwongcsp

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who are not willing to give up sugar, starches, fizzy drinks, and processed carbohydrates.
I buy fresh Cauli Rice from Aldi and do it like Bachelors savoury rice stir fry some other veg - peppers, mushrooms, edmame beans, sweetcorn etc, if I'm going mad a few prawns or some chicken, add some spices then chuck in the Cauli for a couple minutes. Yummy
Your way of cooking Cauli rice sounds similar to mine. I also stir in scrambled eggs and bacon or ham

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I
Just had it for lunch today lightly fried in coconut oil. It is my new favourite thing. I resisted that and courgetti for a couple of years, thinking it was bonkers. I am now sorry I didn’t give in earlier. I do not understand the problem with prep it takes seconds in my food processor and it’s amazing how little you need. 100-120g my usual. As Scimama says freeze a batch.
I bought a butternut squash today as they were on offer at Lidl’s and will be trying it as a pasta substitute this weekend. Wish me luck.
ooooh that sounds good. I usually do half a cauliflower for rice, and then use the rest for a soup or in other meals.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat it regularly. If I’m cooking an Indian type meal, I prepare it as I would Pilau rice, fry shallot and garlic and ginger in butter, add desired spices (usually cumin, coriander, plenty of salt and pepper) add cauliflower, only blitzed on ‘pulse’ until coarse grains - don’t over-do it, and a couple of tablespoons of water. Stir through to coat all cauliflower with buttery, spicy mix. Cover with a tight lid and cook for a few minutes until you get the texture you like. It’s delicious, rice is bland in comparison and it soaks up curry sauce nicely.

I only have a little food processor attachment to a blitzer ‘wand’ and it makes plenty for 2 people in a couple of batches.

Or for ‘Chinese style’ use coconut oil, still add shallots, garlic and ginger, but this time add Chinese 5 spice and substitute dry sherry for the water, and add soy sauce at the end. Then I tend to add a handful of cashews and a handful of prawns.

Also about to try Cauliflower rice paella, a recipe I found on everylastbite.com looks delicious.

Both lovely, take less than 5 mins, fresh, full of vitamins and very low carb.

Last edited:
Reactions: Serena51

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat it regularly. If I’m cooking an Indian type meal, I prepare it as I would Pilau rice, fry shallot and garlic and ginger in butter, add desired spices (usually cumin, coriander, plenty of salt and pepper) add cauliflower, only blitzed on ‘pulse’ until coarse grains - don’t over-do it, and a couple of tablespoons of water. Stir through to coat all cauliflower with buttery, spicy mix. Cover with a tight lid and cook for a few minutes until you get the texture you like. It’s delicious, rice is bland in comparison and it soaks up curry sauce nicely.

I only have a little food processor attachment to a blitzer ‘wand’ and it makes plenty for 2 people in a couple of batches.

Or for ‘Chinese style’ use coconut oil, still add shallots, garlic and ginger, but this time add Chinese 5 spice and substitute dry sherry for the water, and add soy sauce at the end. Then I tend to add a handful of cashews and a handful of prawns.

Also about to try Cauliflower rice paella, a recipe I found on everylastbite.com looks delicious.

Both lovely, take less than 5 mins, fresh, full of vitamins and very low carb.
I've been looking for a cauliflower rice paella recipe for ages - I'm heading over to the website now

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never really bothered with cauliflower rice - I'll sometimes fry my cauliflower with spices (which is something I often used to do anyway!) if I have curry, otherwise I'll eat the florets as is or sometimes mash them with butter, cheese, cream or whatever. And I've never spiralized my courgettes either... For me they're both food in their own right rather than pseudo somethings they're not...

Robbity

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And I've never spiralized my courgettes either... For me they're both food in their own right rather than pseudo somethings they're not...
Spiralizing courgettes makes them into thin strands which means they stir fry easily.
They are convenient to pick up with a fork loaded with sauce but they are not pseudo spaghetti they are courgettes in a handy shape.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Spiralizing courgettes makes them into thin strands which means they stir fry easily.
They are convenient to pick up with a fork loaded with sauce but they are not pseudo spaghetti they are courgettes in a handy shape.

If you say so! But I've found a quick chop into suitable sized sticks or disks works just as well for me and doesn't need either a purchase of more kitchen equipment or any extra washing up...

Robbity

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I don't know if it appeals to using something semi industrial, but I just love creating the rice in the food processor. I have noticed a strong smell in the house, a worthwhile side affect. The combination of cauliflour, broccoli and carrots (not for everyone) I had seconds of last evening.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

So tried the butternut squash. Afraid that’s a no. Will stick to the courgetti!