Eating out - new user

jasonbailey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

I've been an Insight pump user for about 3 weeks. I'm due to eat out at an Indian restaurant. I'm happy to work out my carbs etc, but know that due to fat, etc. the release of carbs can be delayed. I'll be looking to use either an extended or multiwave bolus for this meal, but wondered how long I should be allowing for this bolus to release over?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Jason - it will vary between everyone and what type of curry you eat, if you have a naan (and they put lots of sugar in it).........

I usually need to double my insulin dose then do a dual wave with 5 units or 50% upfront (by about 30 mins) with rest over the next 90 mins.

If I'm eating starters followed my main and pudding, then I do one for each.

I normally find that after about 3 hours or so post end of meal I need another dose of between 20 and 30% of the main part of the meal dose.

Enjoy the curry :)

Deanc883

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi All,

I've been an Insight pump user for about 3 weeks. I'm due to eat out at an Indian restaurant. I'm happy to work out my carbs etc, but know that due to fat, etc. the release of carbs can be delayed. I'll be looking to use either an extended or multiwave bolus for this meal, but wondered how long I should be allowing for this bolus to release over?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Hi Jason, for a curry I multi wave for two hours, if I’ve had rice I then increase basal to 120% for two hours.
Naan’s have to many carbs so I settle for poppadoms instead.
Hope this helps, enjoy your meal
Dean

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Jason, for a curry I multi wave for two hours, if I’ve had rice I then increase basal to 120% for two hours.
Naan’s have to many carbs so I settle for poppadoms instead.
Hope this helps, enjoy your meal
Dean

Thanks Dean - its never occured to me to increase Basal for food - what a good idea. I've only ever done it for illness. :)

jasonbailey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Me neither. That's a great idea. I do it the other way when I'm cycling and do a temporary reduction. Thanks all for your advice

Reactions: Chas C

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Me neither. That's a great idea. I do it the other way when I'm cycling and do a temporary reduction. Thanks all for your advice

Me too - just never occurred to me to link it to food :)