does the fruit Juice not raise the blood sugar ?

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I find it quite surprising and counter-intuitive.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t agree with the report to be honest.

Why?

Because I was a heavy fruit juice drinker before diagnosis and my DN thinks the daily consumption of fruit juices caused my diabetes!

Chandradev819

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Me too. I was also addict of fruit and sweet before diagnosis. I also think like false research.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eating fruit raises blood glucose a lot. Drinking fruit juice is probably worse, because there is less fibre. A glass or orange juice has almost as much sugar as a glass of coca cola (5 to 8 teaspoons per cup).

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Half a small glass of orange juice works perfectly to get out of a hypo quickly. Take a look at the other content on this website and then decide if you really think you should trust what they say about diabetes...

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well I got a phone call from my GP at 8am when a blood test at come back from the lab at over 30 mmol/l!, I expect the fruit juice I had just before the test had someone to do with it, it is was down to under 20 by the time I saw the GP that morning.

People who don't have insulin resistance can cope with a lot of sugar, until one day, they can't and it is too late.......

Fruit is the quickest and cheapest way that you can give lab animals "fatty liver" when you want it as the starting point of research!

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was first diagnosed I found that a very small glass of any shop bought orange juice, be it longife carton stuff or the 100% Freshly squeezed” stuff in bottles all sent my sugars ballistic BUT I could drink 1/2 pint or more of fresh orange juice that I had juiced myself ( I used organic juicing oranges) with virtually no impact on my sugars. I never really understood the reasons why but wondered if the commercially produced stuff was somehow more concentrated or maybe from different (sweeter) types of oranges ( it tasted sweeter than home prduced anyway
20+ years on and with lower carb tolerance than previously, all kinds of juice are off the menu but on the few occasions Ive retested, home squeezed produces less of a spike than commercially produced

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think the commercially produced stuff has the fibre separated from the sugar. Therefore the sugar gets into our bodies quicker.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know for me if I have a glass of orange juice with breakfast , my blood sugar levels rocket, they do return back to normal ish after about 4 hours, -- so I've given up orange juice :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
As people use fruit juice to bring them out of a potential hypo, it is clear it must raise blood sugar levels, although which type of fruit juice (100%, or whatever) possibly makes a difference to how much it raises it.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As people use fruit juice to bring them out of a potential hypo, it is clear it must raise blood sugar levels, although which type of fruit juice (100%, or whatever) possibly makes a difference to how much it raises it.
Well for whateveer the reason, as I reported earlier, the type made a massive difference for many years in how my sugars responded

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I don’t see any reference in this article “100 Percent Fruit Juice Doesn't Raise Blood Sugar” when the subjects are diabetic!

Its looks like its referring to people with normal insulin response to fruit sugars.

The problem is people will now quote this study when talking about fruit juice and dietary advice to diabetics

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My son worked at a reknowned fruit juice producer. The stuff started as a barrel of concentrate, and whenever they were in the room with the product they had to wear hazmat suits and breathing protection at all times. Once, when a barrel came off a forklift and split open, they had to evacuate the whole factory for a few days until it was neutralized.

The conc syrup was diluted, and then had to be kept in a huge vat for 40 hours to let the mixture become safe enough to consume, then it could be bottled. On one occasion they bottled one batch earlier than this and shipped it to a local school. A large number of pupils were sent to hospital with burns to the mouth and throat and being sick after drinking it in their break,

I would never touch a fruit juice myself knowing that it starts life as a highly toxic syrup.