Am I expecting too much too soon (BG levels)?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Alpro Unsweetened. I think the bulk of the carb for breakfast came from the greek yoghurt which came out around 9g.

I've been thinking that around 15g carbs per meal would be ok to aim for, but perhaps it's not the best thing for breakfast and I aim for lower in the morning.

I notice your yogurt was 0% fat. The Fage Total full fat has a lot less carbs and is tastier.

Mornings can be difficult when we have a lot on insulin resistance (which most of us have when first diagnosed) because our own insulin can't cope with the amount of glucose our livers enjoy dumping on us. Personally I have no carbs until lunch time. As the day progresses our livers tend to stop dumping glucose, so carbs become a bit easier to cope with. Perhaps try a coffee with cream, or a couple of boiled eggs, or eggs cooked any which way, or some cheese or cold meats. See if that helps.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Oh did not know that..Do you mean prick the finger wipe first blood away,then squeeze the same finger that has already been pricked then take the blood?
This is what the nurse does when I am finger pricked for testing iron before giving blood.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been thinking that around 15g carbs per meal would be ok to aim for, but perhaps it's not the best thing for breakfast and I aim for lower in the morning.
I have a max of 6gm carb for breakfast- just greek style yoghurt and mixed seeds.

acs1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
For me it did take 3 months of effort tomsee bg levels go down so i think you just need more time. As the reply above i now mostly have zero carb breakfasts. I also that i can avoid spikes by eating slow burning carb products. You still get the same total carbs but over a longer period so i feel fuller and not snack.

Jix200903

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there a significant difference in the reading 1st and 2nd out of interest if you've done it?
My friend, also a doctor (and who is diabetic) just pointed out that your hands get all sorts of stuff on them to fool the meter. I just wash my hands thoroughly before I test.

BB8.HG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I notice your yogurt was 0% fat. The Fage Total full fat has a lot less carbs and is tastier.

Mornings can be difficult when we have a lot on insulin resistance (which most of us have when first diagnosed) because our own insulin can't cope with the amount of glucose our livers enjoy dumping on us. Personally I have no carbs until lunch time. As the day progresses our livers tend to stop dumping glucose, so carbs become a bit easier to cope with. Perhaps try a coffee with cream, or a couple of boiled eggs, or eggs cooked any which way, or some cheese or cold meats. See if that helps.

Thank you for the tip! I'll certainly give that a go. This morning I got rid of the yoghurt completely and my reading was lower. I think perhaps I'm not a morning carbs person...

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
My friend, also a doctor (and who is diabetic) just pointed out that your hands get all sorts of stuff on them to fool the meter. I just wash my hands thoroughly before I test.
I do wonder if soap can alter the BG readings. I have noticed if I wash my hands with hand wash then take a reading it is always higher than if I just thoroughly wash my hands in just warm water. I rinse my hands properly when I have used hand wash, but I can still smell the scent from the hand wash so just use warm to hot water now

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Yes that's what I mean. However, I don't do this. Firstly because I never get enough blood, and secondly because of the risk of contamination from wiping away the first drop.
I know when I have had my sugar checked by meter the nurse does not wipe the first blood away..I will carry on as you do then.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

jackors

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It does take a couple of weeks to get your BG's under control as your body needs to burn of all the fat ect. that is stored in your body it will come just be patient and keep doing what you are doing.
Take it one day at a time and don't put yourself under to much pressure drinking plenty of water will help also

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Diabetes Forum mobile app

Bigbassett_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Took me a month on 2gram a day and no carb. I went extreme.
I know eat a more balanced diet and mornings are 6s usually. Sometimes 5s.
Perserverence dude. You'll smash this.
Swimming cycling running helps. What ever you can manage in that department is awesome
Good luck keep going

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I do wonder if soap can alter the BG readings. I have noticed if I wash my hands with hand wash then take a reading it is always higher than if I just thoroughly wash my hands in just warm water. I rinse my hands properly when I have used hand wash, but I can still smell the scent from the hand wash so just use warm to hot water now

Yes, soap can affect readings. There is sugar in some soaps, and possibly also alcohol in your hand wash. My uncle worked for a large soap and detergent manufacturer and frequently said there is nothing dirtier than soap! I wash mine in soap and rinse thoroughly under running water.

I know when I have had my sugar checked by meter the nurse does not wipe the first blood away..I will carry on as you do then.

The nurses in the hospital I was in didn't wipe the first drop away either

TTTE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes (but I may learn to love it)
I was expecting the same after my first blood test at occupational health, it read a 92. 3 weeks later it was the same. Just waiting on the results of my latest blood test via the GP (3 weeks after diagnosis)

Fiveball

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Kind of a funny story - I'm at work and having an apple with peanut butter. It is delicious! I get one of those silly cheap plastic knives from our communal kitchen drawer. Its the kind with the little bumps instead of a proper serrated edge for the cutting side. So i'm slicing up this apple with this supposed dull(ish) knife, taste buds are rejoicing, the sound of the crisp apple slices snapping in the office when i slice my finger on the stupid knife. I looked kind of dumbfounded that this apparently very sharp dull knife just nicked me. Being the resourceful, intelligent fellow that i am i think to myself..... "This is a perfect time to check my blood sugar, i'm already bleeding right?" I pull up the meter and it reads"HIGH - CHECK KETONES" (HIGH definition for my meter means over 600mg/dl or 33.3mmol/L. Basically my meter has given up trying to read the amount of glucose on my test strip because the meter scale doesn't read that high. I'm confused and very alarmed as i don't feel at all like i'm experiencing Hyperglycemia. Not feeling it scares me more than the level of the glucose on the strip.

Turns out if you are cutting an apple, which is full of glucose and slice your finger, you are getting that glucose into your blood. Don't use that site as a testing area. You may just give your meter diabetes too. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Happyhomelands