Steel cap work boots

TURTLE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Does anyone have any information on Steel toe boots at work ?
Myself and a colleague are to be issued with these boots at work and be both know the importance of foot protection at all times especially at work but not so much for me but my colleague has really poor feet and has had issues with these heavy uncomfortable shoes doing more damage that protection, is there any exemptions for wearing these ?
I have suggested signing a disclaimer but they say we can't do this and have to wear them.
Any thoughts ?

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is a vast variety of such steel toe footwear ranging from trainer type to full boots suitable for foundry use some are very comfortable some less so. Could you explain your problem to your employer and see if they will allow you to chose a suitable boot? There may be a cost penalty and if so they may allow you to make up the difference so long as the footwear meets the required specification. Trust me they are well worth wearing when your feet are at risk. Depending on your job it may be possible to only wear them when on site and revert to normal shoes in the office. Clearly I have no idea what your job is or your industry but it's worth a try.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi @TURTLE

I work in engineering and believe that your employer has a right to insist that you wear them. I've been denied access to some areas of our factory by workshop foremen when I forgot to put the Toe-Tectors on before leaving the office.

However, protective footwear comes in all shapes and sizes these days. I shunned the freebie heavy shoes that my employer provides and bought my own - very lightweight, and fairly comfortable (as safety shoes go.)

Have a search on line for Arco Lightweight Safety Shoes (other makes are available). The reinforcements are made from composite materials - so not steel capped - which is where the weight saving comes from. Was lucky to find mine reduced in a sale - they were just under £20. Some local tool trade counters stock this brand so you can try before you buy.

Reactions: lovinglife

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
as urban says if your required to wear them your emloyer would end up in trouble. iworked in a cementry landscaping it we were re setting an old very bighead stone. 6 folks with giant crowbars. anyway i ended up with a ton of stone lying across my toes. im very confident if iwas wearing trainers they would have been a mess.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Steel Toe Capped footwear is there as a protection to your feet in case of an accident what type of work do you do that requires boots There are different types of steel Toe capped Footwear available which are not so cumbersome It may be that you need Boots for a reason depending on your job which prevents you wearing steel toe capped Trainers for instance Beware if your friend has an accident when not wearing them it can effect any compensation claim he may have.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Might also be worth considering whether your friend's feet count as a disability, in which case your employer would have to make reasonable adjustment for him, which in this case could well mean your employer supplying more suitable, though equally protective, footwear. Just a thought....

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @TURTLE ,

PPE equipment such as boots are are provided by an employer by law.
Of course you can also supply your own boots, which will also comply with health & safty.

I work in an industry where PPE equipment is manditory. Occasionally someone like your colleague has an issue & the employer will contribute to bespoke safty foot wear, but only to the cost of what they would pay for the company issue boots..?

There are also "insoles" that can be bought to increase foot support & comfort with these boots.

Hope this helps!?

Reactions: urbanracer

TURTLE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi & thanks for your comments.
I have researched the more "lightweight & comfortable" shoes and for me that should be the answer, I am 90% office based but occasionally have to venture into stores area which is not a really dangerous area but the company is really big on H&S and stipulate safety shoes should be worn.
I am more interested in people who have worn these shoes for long periods and has it caused any damage to their feet for wearing them ?. I am a diabetic of 37yrs and my feet are pretty good but just have this nagging thought that shoes designed primarily for reasons that are obvious I would hate to create problems at this stage with my toes through ill fitting heavy shoes.
Speaking to other employees that wear these shoes all but one say the are horrible and uncomfortable and some have paid extra for so called lightweight trainer type.....any recommendations from Type 1's who wear a really comfortable pair of shoes.
I have found a website "Englebert-Strauss" that seem to do decent ones....anybody tried a pair ?

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Only way is to get down to the local builders merchant, or get your bosses to get you some samples in from whoever they buy off. There is always a good choice, good range now, half sizes, different width fittings, composite rather than steel if you want lightweight, to be honest you sound like you just need an office shoe, or black trainers, but you got to put your feet in them to find out if they fit you.

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
I work at a foundry ( not in production) I have to wear safety footwear . I have the trainer type which are the lightest . You need to wear good quality socks . I don’t have any problems at all .

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I wear an extra pair of insoles in my safety boots + extra thick socks. I also moisturise feet at night if I've been in the safety boots all day. When I got issued a new pair recently, I was consulted over the most suitable pair, as the need for me to be extra careful was duly noted.

It's mandatory for me to wear boots if I'm with students in either of the workshops we work in and I'm not taking any chances with my feet, either from a safety point of view or a diabetic point of view.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I wore safety footwear for years and my feet were very happy in them - but I always wore a pair of thin cotton socks underneath home made wool ones, for just one day and then washed them, and I always wore the same style and make - they were lace up full shoes. When someone I worked with wanted a slip on style they were useless as they did not stay on her feet and the construction and shape were completely different so you do need to have them to try on and get them swapped if they are wrong. Some of the styles have narrower toes than others and they can be really painful and cause dreadful damage so you have to insist on a good fit with the socks you need to wear in them.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For an office worker that needs boots for just venturing out of the office you might find slip on riggers boots useful. I use them for my morning walk which involves woodland. I won't claim that they are lightweight but they are very easy to step into and very comfortable when you do. I wear extra thick socks so they don't slop about when in rough ground.

I have never worn them all day (but I suppose riggers do) so I can't say what that is like but I wouldn't anticipate trouble.

I bought mine in Wickes for £30+ so they are not too expensive. I won't give details for fear of sounding like an advert.

EDIT: I just checked Wickes to find they do two makes of rigger boots. The ones I own are made by Scruffs but I guess the other make is just as good.

Last edited: