The pump

Kaate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi , I’ve had diabetes since I was 8 nearly 12 years now & ive always had injections....but was considering switching to the pump , does anyone use one or have an opinion on it???

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi , I’ve had diabetes since I was 8 nearly 12 years now & ive always had injections....but was considering switching to the pump , does anyone use one or have an opinion on it???

Yes, do it. I tried "experimenting" with injections recently since I've been on the pump for over 11 years and went on it almost right away. It felt like I went back in time to the 1990s and like I had to find roundabout ways to do what I can do so easily on the pump. There's a reason most people who go on it, even those who are apprehensive, wonder what took them so long.

Reactions: Kaate

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was put on the pump due to having dawn phenomenon (highs in the morning) and I couldn't do long acting at night due to the fact it made me hypo for the entire night so the pump was my only option. Definitely feel much more in control, you can really fine tune everything with the pump and it's much easier to change rates at which insulin goes in for different scenarios. I've been on the pump for 2 and a half years or so and I definitely would not go back. Highly recommend it.

Fiveball

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I had type one since middle school maybe 12 to 14 years old. I'm 33 now so I had a fair bit of years sticking the needles everywhere. I just recently switched to the minimed 670 closed loop system. I can't recommend a pump enough. Forgive me here as I am in the US an I think our bg measuring systems are different. My a1cs have been in the last 5 years in the high 8s to 9s .in the last month that that average has dropped to 7.4. Diabetes is no longer controlling my life, my life is controlling the diabetes . It's incredible to me to see the BG readings show on my pump updating 200+ times a day .The dawn phenomena of highs in the early hours of morning are getting taken care of by the self adjusting basil rate.
You couldn't pay me to go back to shots and 8 sticks a day .

I was against the pump for such a long time because I thought it was quite an ordeal to have the infusion set and sensor attached. I was thinking surgery .It's so easy I can almost done it on the way out the door in the morning.

If you have the means and opportunity you should do this .For quality of life and preserving your body it is an incredible difference.

Reactions: Tom.thomas61